Using REC out to drive power amp

G E

Using REC out to drive power amp
« on: 31 Jul 2015, 05:15 am »
Hello,

A friend of mine has a JVC receiver of fairly recent vintage and needs to be able to drive an AVA Omega 3 power amp. There are no pre outs but he does have two REC outs.

I know the best course is to replace the receiver with a preamp but he is retired and is working on a limited budget.

Is it possible to take a signal from the REC out and through a potentiometer which becomes his volume control?  If so, what value pot should be used and how should this be wired?

I have a stand alone headphone amp but if this is used to drive the amp will therebe an impedance mismatch with its output and the omega 3 input?

Also, if no speakers are attached to the receiver speaker terminals is there a risk of damaging the associated circuits?

Thanks for your ideas.

Greg

Wayner

Re: Using REC out to drive power amp
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2015, 08:31 am »
Can't use the record outs because they are not in the volume control circuit and therefore, would not have any volume "control".

This just is a really bad idea. And you are right, he needs to get a preamp.

Frank does get used preamps from time to time.....http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=125&Itemid=176

Although, this device might work with the record out or better yet, between the source (like a CD player) and the amp: https://emotiva.com/products/electronics/control-freak

Wayner

dflee

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2015, 02:14 pm »
I had some old receivers that had bridge pins between the pre stage and amp stage.
Remove the pins and you could use the unit for either pre or amp.

Don

G E

« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2015, 12:03 am »
I had some old receivers that had bridge pins between the pre stage and amp stage.
Remove the pins and you could use the unit for either pre or amp.

Don

No bridge pins or connectors on this.

dflee

« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2015, 12:50 am »
Possibly a volume control of some kind between the two then.

modular747

« Reply #5 on: 1 Aug 2015, 09:15 pm »
You mean like when he said:  "Is it possible to take a signal from the REC out and through a potentiometer which becomes his volume control?"