Mind if I join you?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Mind if I join you?
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jul 2015, 09:19 am »
Don't resist, you'll be glad you didn't.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #21 on: 30 Jul 2015, 12:25 pm »
I bought 1.6s on CL for an in-house audition.  MUCH better in my room than ML Quests, stacked DQ-10s, and even a borrowed pair of Sound Lab 'stats.

Go for the QR!!!!   :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #22 on: 30 Jul 2015, 07:41 pm »
Thanks for the "support" boys!

Picking them up tonight.  Once I realized they include the Mye stands, I was in.

My best friend came over last night (we have a weekly standing pool game) and he is an audio guy, so he always likes to sit down for a couple of songs whenever I bring something new in.

We built him some 2 way floor standers around 10 years ago that he still uses in his study today. 

One song into the MMG's he turned to me and asked - what did these cost again?  He is strongly considering moving the 2 ways to his cottage and buying the MMG's off me.

Figured it was only fair to pass along the "support" after all!   :icon_twisted:

We will see what the 1.6's deliver in my room, and what setup exploration is required.  I remain committed to moving furniture for the other activities my basement is for, so I am sure I can find a spot that makes me smile.

bluemike

« Reply #23 on: 30 Jul 2015, 07:56 pm »
Nice to hear Marc
Have you heard from any of the boys lately
Nice to hear the Maggies if I'm up in your neck of the woods

steve f

« Reply #24 on: 30 Jul 2015, 08:09 pm »
Way to go!

steve

PS: if your buddy doesn't want your MMGs, I'll bet they make great surrounds for your AV system.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 30 Jul 2015, 09:09 pm »
Way to go!

steve

PS: if your buddy doesn't want your MMGs, I'll bet they make great surrounds for your AV system.

That they do, much better than the MMG-W speakers.  Add some hinges to the wood side strips and you're in business.

mcgsxr

« Reply #26 on: 31 Jul 2015, 02:56 pm »
I will likely leave the HT system alone, I am happy with the wall mounted Paradigms all the way around.  I like having the 2 channel system separate too.

Here is a pic of the bigger Maggies in place.  Pooh Bear remains of course!

I will start a new thread as I play around with placement for the 1.6's, and sort out what I think the differences and similarities are while I still own both.

Jack Gilvey

« Reply #27 on: 2 Aug 2015, 10:49 am »
That was a quick upgrade! Killer speakers.  Those XLS seem to love Maggies.

mcgsxr

« Reply #28 on: 2 Aug 2015, 11:39 am »
I picked up the MMG's as they were available locally, and I wondered if I would like that sound.

Once I heard them properly driven and setup in my room, I started to wonder what the next step up the line would be like. 

The Totem Model 1's are the best stand mount I have owned.  I sold them to move to the bigger 1.6's once I heard the MMG's.

Having read a lot of the threads around here about what people think the differences might be between the MMG and the 1.6 I won't start another thread about it, but will say that for me there are a few material differences.

The MMG's are a wonderful speaker.  Once nailing the setup in the room, and integrating a sub, they produce a glorious 3D soundstage, lovely timbre, and bring a musical performance into the space.

The 1.6's for me are a more hifi experience of what the MMG's do.  More detail, more tone, an increase in effortlessness, can play louder (if you like, I don't listen very loud myself), and they play much lower in the bass on their own.

I tune my subs by ear, and I run my mains full range.  Nearly always have.  The 1.6's in my room can get 90% of the bass right for 80% of my music running full range with no sub.  Bringing the sub in carefully underneath them adds the presence and weight of big instruments, or synth.  The sub is barely running, but it makes a marked difference in how the lowest notes underpin the soundstage.

I am running an old Yamaha sub with a pair of 7 inch spruce paper cones.  Nothing special at all.  But it does not need to do much, it just fleshes out the weight of the lowest notes.

What amazes me about both sets of Maggies is how pedestrian I find they sound until you nail the setup.  The 1.6's took me longer, and for a period there I was thinking I may not need them.  Then I found a spot roughly 4 inches wider and 2 inches further from the wall from where I had placed the MMG's and it all just came together.

The robust Crown brings all the juice I need, and the Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 works nicely as a front end.

As a lover of music I could absolutely live with the MMG's in most rooms.  Since I have the space, and the 1.6's already here, I will certainly keep them.  I like the taste of the high end experience that they deliver.

Recommended to try if you ever can.  You may not love it, but once you find that sweet position for your room, I don't doubt you will find it a pleasing musical presentation.

Jack Gilvey

« Reply #29 on: 3 Aug 2015, 11:39 pm »
Agreed on the 1.6s. I've heard them and they're all that. No room to make anything but the MMGs work in my room, though. Well, maybe the .7s if I can hang them properly. ;)

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 3 Aug 2015, 11:56 pm »
Once you get the 1.6s (and 1.7s) set up right they're just very addicting.

mcgsxr

« Reply #31 on: 6 Aug 2015, 12:02 pm »
Jack I love how you worked those MMG's into your room!  Having only daughters I cannot relate, but my nephews are rambunctious when they come over. 

Still working on ideal placement for the 1.6's.  I found a spot for the MMG's that just transcends musical reproduction.  The 3D soundstage is staggering with the smaller panels.  My best friend continues to assert they are better than the 1.6's.

Found a spot last night for the 1.6's that bloomed, we will see if I can nail it.  I tried tweeters in but prefer tweeters out so far.  Playing with toe in. 

Thankfully the Mye stands make sliding the Maggie's around the carpet fairly easy. 

Jack Gilvey

« Reply #32 on: 6 Aug 2015, 01:54 pm »
Thanks Mark!  I have only daughters as well, but this is a small place and you know how elaborate those improvised ballet moves can get. Nothing is safe. :)

hifitommy

mmgS VS 1.6S
« Reply #33 on: 9 Aug 2015, 08:24 pm »
i find that i like my MMGs more than 1.6s.  my friend had 1.6s for a short while, and also 1.7s and i find that the MMGs weere more satisfying.  also, the same friend had MG12s which were more in line with the MMGs.  add a sub like a HSU and you're in business. 

i didn't find it hard to integrate.

mcgsxr

« Reply #34 on: 11 Aug 2015, 02:05 pm »
Given the challenge of quickly swapping speaker cables (gotta love those "binding posts" on the Maggies), I built up a 2nd set of speaker cables.

Now with banana plugs on the amp end, I can more rapidly swap the MMG's in their best position, with the 1.6QR's in their best position.  Taped out markings on the floor for both speakers and listening position, so with the help of a friend I can now start deciding which set of speakers I feel is best for me.

I use an old Yamaha sub with both - the MMG's need a little more from the sub than do the 1.6's, but it is not hard to get it right.

Good fun.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #35 on: 11 Aug 2015, 02:59 pm »
What you will find is that the MMGs are much more forgiving of what else is in the chain.
While you're swapping speakers around see if you can't manage some amp and preamp swapping as well.

mcgsxr

« Reply #36 on: 11 Aug 2015, 03:10 pm »
Interesting suggestions.

At present I have only 3 possible amp choices - Pioneer VSX-1018 AV receiver.  Yamaha RX-797 2 channel receiver.  Crown XLS 1500.  Not sure either the Pioneer or Yamaha are worth swapping in, to be honest.

I don't run a preamp - my Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 runs straight into the Crown XLS 1500, and I use the music replay s/w to moderate volume.

I do find that the MMG's produce a glorious soundstage, whereas the 1.6's deliver much better treble detail and bass.

The real thing I am trying to discern is - which do I like better in my room, with my gear and series of required compromises.  I won't suggest that my experiment will reveal much to others, but it will guide which set of speakers I keep!

mcgsxr

« Reply #37 on: 13 Aug 2015, 12:55 pm »
I built up a 2nd set of speaker cables, and have spent some time taping out where each set sounds their best, and where the listening chair needs to be to get the best out of each.

I spent the last 4 days straight just listening to the MMG's in their best spot.  Then this AM I swapped in the 1.6's.

I have verified for myself, that the 1.6's deliver for me.  I had some concerns that the MMG's delivered more magic in a certain spot, but have put that to bed.

I sold my Totem Model 1's after buying the MMG's.  They are that good.  I then bought the 1.6's and have determined that I have the room and ancillary equipment to let them shine even more.

I have no doubt that in some rooms the MMG's could be a better speaker.  In mine, I am enjoying the 1.6QR's more.

Jack Gilvey

« Reply #38 on: 13 Aug 2015, 01:57 pm »
I'd reach the same conclusion, I suspect, but since I can't fit anything larger than the MMG, I won't do myself the disservice of going to hear bigger ones any more. :) In the absence of such comparisons, though, and with a nice sub to fortify the bottom, I'm hard-pressed to find fault with the MMG's - can't put my finger on anything I'd change. So I'll just enjoy the bliss resulting from my ignorance.  :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #39 on: 26 Aug 2015, 12:03 pm »
An update around placement.

I have tried the 1.6's out as far as 5.5 feet from the front wall.  That is as far as I can go before my listening chair hits the pool table at around 7-8 feet from the speakers.

I don't find it any improvement over my fav position - 39 inches to the panel from the front wall.  I have them toed in around 3 inches (meaning the inside is 39, and the outside is 42 inches), tweeters out, 64 inches between the panels, and listening distance of 7-8 feet (7 feet if the chair is upright, about 8 feet if it is reclined).

In that placement, I get a good presentation from the 1.6's.  My best friend continues to find the MMG's more satisfying, but freely admits there is less bass and treble.  I prefer the 1.6's.

I do integrate a small Yamaha sub.  I run the Maggies full range, and just bring in the sub at 40Hz.  The volume of the sub is very low, and I only notice it during electronica etc.  It just adds support to the foundation of the music for most of my collection.

Going to try adding a preamp to see how that goes.  Found an older NuForce unit for a good price, and it has XLR connections so I can give the Crown XLS the signal it prefers too.