BDP-2 - New Bryston Integrated Audio Device

Samurai7595

Re: BDP-2 - New Bryston Integrated Audio Divice
« Reply #80 on: 31 Jul 2015, 02:11 pm »
I updated the two fuses on my new BDP-2, which came with the new Integrated Audio Divice,
to the following kind:
Platinum Reference “More Than a Fuse”
http://www.audio-horizons.com/pages/fuse.html

This improved the performance easily with 7 - 12%.
Further improved details and depths of the soundstage.

(I am not affiliated with that company.)

Interesting!

What amperage & size models did you get for the BDP-2?

mv

« Reply #81 on: 31 Jul 2015, 09:59 pm »
Interesting!

What amperage & size models did you get for the BDP-2?

The amperage is listed in the user manual, and so are other characteristics, e.g., for the US:

Both fuses should be 5x20mm glass fuses,
rated 250V and slow acting (time lag) types
These are for use in the US, and so the voltage should be 120V.
The first should be rated 250 mA
The second 500 mA

(Actually, the fuses are the same for the BDP-2 as for the BDP-1.)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #82 on: 2 Aug 2015, 10:26 am »
Dear Bryston,

The Bryston Integrated Sound card arrived here today, installation was a breeze with the included instructions, and an hour later I’m listening to music. I really appreciate that you included the necessary tools. Thank you for excellent service!

As it so happened, a long holiday intervened but now I’m back in front of the system and listening, to old & new music.

I’m hearing a quite significant upgrade to the sound with the new Bryston card - definitely the same source as before, but more intense, focused?

Connected via SPDIF into an Accuphase DAC30.

Erik

MISTERb

« Reply #83 on: 2 Aug 2015, 10:29 pm »
I would kindly suggest you go back to Step 7. The chassis screw boss needs to fit through the hole in the IAD and into the screw bracket. I found it takes a little time to make sure alignment is perfect. The T10 screws provided are of correct length if the chassis screw boss is fitted properly through the the hole in the IAD. The 3 point mounting makes the IAD much more secure.

I do agree the Phillips screws anchoring the XLR are snug. Otherwise I found the IAD install straight forward.

Hi
Just received my kit, but the instructions is lacking. Can you provide me this? I tried to install, bud had to go back to the old soundcard :-(
BR Petter

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #84 on: 2 Aug 2015, 11:21 pm »
Hi
Just received my kit, but the instructions is lacking. Can you provide me this? I tried to install, bud had to go back to the old soundcard :-(
BR Petter

Sure - email me and I will send.

jamestanner@bryston.com

james

Inter

« Reply #85 on: 5 Aug 2015, 06:45 pm »

Connected via SPDIF into an Accuphase DAC30.
Oh I look forward to this. I am currently on vacation but had my dealer reserve the new IAD for me and I am currently using the BDP-2 with the Accuphase DAC40 in the C2120.

It's like I want to go home from vacation to install the new card!

bjski

Re: BDP-2 - New Bryston Integrated Audio Device
« Reply #86 on: 5 Aug 2015, 11:20 pm »
You'll love it. I have a BDP-1 which I moved to my second system. I put the first generation BDP-2 in my first system and the improvement was mostly convenience. Then I purchased a BDA-2 and which made a noticeable improvement over the BDA-1. Now the new sound card has taken the BDP-2 and BDA-2 to a new level. With the new card the BDP-2 should be called the BDP-3.
I like to thank the Bryston team for making the BDP-2 upgradable. James if you could do something for the BDP-1. (I know)
Definitely looking forward to the BDA-3!
Cheers

mv

« Reply #87 on: 6 Aug 2015, 02:31 am »
I like to thank the Bryston team for making the BDP-2 upgradable. James if you could do something for the BDP-1. (I know)

+1

RonCH

« Reply #88 on: 6 Aug 2015, 12:55 pm »
You'll love it. I have a BDP-1 which I moved to my second system. I put the first generation BDP-2 in my first system and the improvement was mostly convenience. Then I purchased a BDA-2 and which made a noticeable improvement over the BDA-1. Now the new sound card has taken the BDP-2 and BDA-2 to a new level. With the new card the BDP-2 should be called the BDP-3.
Definitely looking forward to the BDA-3!
Cheers

I would like to see a BDP-1 upgrade.  Would putting more memory in make a difference to the performance? At the very least it would be able to run the latest version of the Music Player Daemon. 

mv

« Reply #89 on: 6 Aug 2015, 01:19 pm »
I would like to see a BDP-1 upgrade.  Would putting more memory in make a difference to the performance? At the very least it would be able to run the latest version of the Music Player Daemon.

Isn't it possible to easily upgrade the memory with a larger one?

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #90 on: 6 Aug 2015, 01:26 pm »
The RAM is on-board on the BDP-1, so it isn't upgradeable.

mv

« Reply #91 on: 6 Aug 2015, 01:41 pm »

But isn't there a memory card (those that were used on old models of digital cameras) that is plugged into the circuit board of the BDP-1?
If so, it should be possible to replace with one of larger capacity.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #92 on: 6 Aug 2015, 05:45 pm »
That's not system memory, non volatile storage for firmware and settings

RonCH

« Reply #93 on: 7 Aug 2015, 07:26 am »

The BDP-1 chipset will support more memory.  In practice though I'm not sure I'd be comfortable doing it. But professionally....

Here's Chris' comment from another posting:
The BDP-1 system board has the system memory integrated as part of the system board.  Although it's chipset will support an additional 768MB, you'd need some fancy soldering gear to pull it off.  BDP-2's ship with the maximum amount of system memory that it's chipset will support.

RonCH

« Reply #94 on: 7 Aug 2015, 07:39 am »
The BDP-1 chipset will support more memory.  In practice though I'm not sure I'd be comfortable doing it. But professionally....

Here's Chris' comment from another posting:
The BDP-1 system board has the system memory integrated as part of the system board.  Although it's chipset will support an additional 768MB, you'd need some fancy soldering gear to pull it off.  BDP-2's ship with the maximum amount of system memory that it's chipset will support.

Or is it more cost effective to replace the motherboard?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #95 on: 7 Aug 2015, 01:50 pm »
Or is it more cost effective to replace the motherboard?

you'd have to find a system board with a rear I/O similar to the existing system board, otherwise the USB and Ethernet ports wouldn't line up with the rear of the metal work.  It would also need to consume the same amount or less current and the board is already pretty low powered as it is, 1Amp.  To give you perspective most desktop computer power supplies provide 18Amps on the 12v rail alone.

Cheers,
Chris

RonCH

« Reply #96 on: 13 Aug 2015, 08:04 am »
you'd have to find a system board with a rear I/O similar to the existing system board, otherwise the USB and Ethernet ports wouldn't line up with the rear of the metal work.  It would also need to consume the same amount or less current and the board is already pretty low powered as it is, 1Amp.  To give you perspective most desktop computer power supplies provide 18Amps on the 12v rail alone.

Cheers,
Chris

lol

I was hoping you say, "Great idea Ron! we'll release an upgraded version of the BDP1 motherboard with more memory."

The BDP1 has an alix1d motherboard, right? With 256MB DRAM?

R. Daneel

« Reply #97 on: 15 Aug 2015, 10:23 am »
The BDP1 has an alix1d motherboard, right? With 256MB DRAM?

No one has really confirmed this but the specs on Alix1d are almost identical to the specs of the BDP-1. If it is an Alix board, Bryston could have still made modifications to it. For instance, the mini-PCI slot. I really can't say I've seen a computer board where additional computer cards are installed borizontally like in the BDP-1 so this could have been one of the modifications. I am not sure though, I'd need to buy an Alix board and have a look. But note the prices online, they are pretty expensive.

Cheers!

Norton

« Reply #98 on: 17 Aug 2015, 05:15 pm »
James

The new IAD is really very good.  My old Chord DAC64 now sounds so good via AES that I'm ignoring the Hugo I bought to replace it.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #99 on: 17 Aug 2015, 05:43 pm »
James

The new IAD is really very good.  My old Chord DAC64 now sounds so good via AES that I'm ignoring the Hugo I bought to replace it.

Hi Norton

Glad you are enjoying it - Stereophile is doing a follow up review on it as well and so far my sneak peak indicates a winner  :thumb:

james

PS - sorry what is a Hugo?