Plastidip for speakers and other gear.

Rclark

Plastidip for speakers and other gear.
« on: 12 Aug 2014, 07:43 pm »
As some of you know I have a project motorcycle that is nearly done, that is I've nearly assembled all the stuff I need to change the bike. One of the things that caught my interest was a product being advertised on Youtube by a company at DipYourCar.com channel.

It's a rubberative spray initially used for tool handles now refined for automotive use and available in quite an array of colors and textures, even many light sensitive and color changing types. There's a guy around my neighborhood with a BMW dipped Royal Purple, and it looks great. So doing my motorcycle plastics. Anthracite Grey with bright aluminum mirrors, instrument cluster, and swingarm, and white wheels.

I should have enough left over to paint one pair of my Miller and Kreisel S1-b's in white.

Leave them alone you say? Well the beauty is dip is removable, leaving the real surface unharmed.

Will take pics. Got the sprayer with all the extras, and also a product that smooths the surface.

Rclark

Re: Plastidip for speakers and other gear.
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2014, 08:32 pm »
As I was just thinking, I now wonder if the five or so coats I'll have on there might have also a tiny absorbing or deadening effect on speaker aimed reflections or even the baffle wave.

The cool thing is I will have an unmolested pair to compare to. Anyway, it's shipped, ground, way down over in Fla, so this is going to be in a week or so.

persisting1

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2014, 07:21 pm »
Plastidip should work well. The best thing is that you can remove it if it doesn't. Post pictures when you're done with the project  :thumb:

bk12

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2014, 09:55 pm »
I have some coworkers that were hit by the dip your car bug.  I had one of them paint my Soundlab U-1 frames a matte grey using the dip your car system, and they turned out absolutely awesomely.  Very cool, and you can peel it off if you don't like it.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2014, 11:35 pm »
A redditor guy used that on his headphone amp and it looks cool.
http://imgur.com/a/CoYNX

There's even a section dedicated for people who apply plastidip on almost any surface (specially cars and rims)

Rclark

« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2014, 06:28 am »
Will definitely post pics.

And actually, leftover Anthracite will be the base coat for the white so you guys will see two colors here. And white won't be the ultimate stop, once I use this as a testbed, I'll order even cooler looking dip than plain old matte white.

Will have the equipment,  so its just a matter of ordering different colors on a whim.

Rclark

« Reply #6 on: 18 Aug 2014, 06:37 am »
Oooooh, my speaker stands are about to get sexified too. This is gonna be fun stuff.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2014, 07:55 pm »
If everything goes as expected, i will Plastidip some old bookshelf speakers i use in my bedroom.  :D

Rclark

« Reply #8 on: 19 Aug 2014, 05:03 am »
 :thumb: nice.

Thinking of dipping the bezel and stand of my tv as well. Possibilities are endless.

Anyway, the kit gets here Thursday,  my bike, gets out of the shop next monday (engine mods), then it's on like donkey kong, but bike first.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 20 Aug 2014, 03:42 am »
What's the cost for the system?

Rclark

« Reply #10 on: 20 Aug 2014, 05:08 pm »
Not bad at all.

The cheapest kit is only $215. I paid for the next step up (just includes more paint).

The kit includes the sprayer, tape, mixing attachment (attach to a drill), microfiber towels

I augmented my order with more gallons, a respirator, dip coat protective spray, brake dust cleaner, a higher end nozzle for the bright aluminum, I forget all the extra stuff I ordered but it came out under $500.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #11 on: 20 Aug 2014, 05:10 pm »
Man, somebody should tell Bob in St. Louis about this so he can tell his daughter Abbie. I bet she has an entire room she can dip in this stuff!

Rclark

« Reply #12 on: 20 Aug 2014, 05:41 pm »
I just realized I can do my diffusers as well, this stuff won't eat the styrofoam. The sprayer has different patterns switchable so I should be able to hit the really deep wells too. Ooh and my equipment rack needs some love too.

ebag4

« Reply #13 on: 20 Aug 2014, 06:21 pm »
I just realized I can do my diffusers as well, this stuff won't eat the styrofoam. The sprayer has different patterns switchable so I should be able to hit the really deep wells too.
That is a great piece of information!  I tried applying latex without a sprayer, it didn't work well.  I will have to pick up a few cans of the Plastidip.

Thanks for the tip!

Rclark

« Reply #14 on: 20 Aug 2014, 07:16 pm »
Maybe not, could swear I'd heard it won't.  I just got off the phone with them and he wasn't certain. For me, I wouldn't do it with cans as those use propellent.

The sprayer uses just pump pressure so better. He said to spot test it, but if it didn't work, put a coat of just primer down over the foam and then dip away.

Sorry to give preemptive information.

I will try it and let you know for sure. I can't imagine it would damage the foam.

I did see a video of a guy using regular paint cans (as in paint paint) to paint foam models though and he proved it wasn't the paint destroying the foam, it was the propellent.

By spraying from a good 8 inches back, the foam took the paint just fine. Any closer and the foam disintigrated.

Rclark

« Reply #15 on: 22 Aug 2014, 05:55 pm »
Everything looks and feels like quality stuff. Not disappointed.

Rclark

« Reply #16 on: 22 Aug 2014, 05:59 pm »

ebag4

« Reply #17 on: 23 Aug 2014, 04:17 am »
Maybe not, could swear I'd heard it won't.  I just got off the phone with them and he wasn't certain. For me, I wouldn't do it with cans as those use propellent.

The sprayer uses just pump pressure so better. He said to spot test it, but if it didn't work, put a coat of just primer down over the foam and then dip away.

Sorry to give preemptive information.

I will try it and let you know for sure. I can't imagine it would damage the foam.

I did see a video of a guy using regular paint cans (as in paint paint) to paint foam models though and he proved it wasn't the paint destroying the foam, it was the propellent.

By spraying from a good 8 inches back, the foam took the paint just fine. Any closer and the foam disintigrated.

Thanks for the clarification, much appreiciated.

Best,
Ed

Rclark

« Reply #18 on: 27 Aug 2014, 08:36 am »
So I just got my bike back from the shop and I forgot one major thing, I can't take the wheels off now that my centerstand is gone permanently.

I need to order some spools and stands for my bike so I can do this dip project all the way. So a few more weeks before speakers...

As an aside, my bike now sounds like a cobra jet, unbelievable. My once mild mannered bike is completely transformed. Can't wait to update that thread. I need to get an H4 recorder soon so I can share that one.

mcgsxr

« Reply #19 on: 27 Aug 2014, 11:58 am »
The stands are excellent to own for many reasons for your future ownership for sure.

I used to pull the exhaust off and use a milk crate to remove the front or rear wheel but that might be a little "shade tree" for ya!