Can't think of where else to post this

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Can't think of where else to post this
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2013, 10:45 pm »
There are lots of great vintage photos and I hate to admit it but the author is spot on.
How many people do you know who really have good stereos? 
How many of your neighbors do you think go home at the end of the day and listen to music as their primary source of entertainment instead of just background noise?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2013, 10:46 pm »
I'll classify this with Popular Mechanics late 90s/early 00s headline, "The Death Of The Internet," or possibly, "They're Throwing Babies From Incubators Into The Dumpster!"

Drop a journalist from a bridge week, anyone? 

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2013, 10:55 pm »
I'm sure that headphone sales, in all price ranges, are on the rise.
How about the rest of the industry? 
I'm not in a position to judge as I simply do not know.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2013, 11:29 pm »
I found it weird that they talked about CDs like they were some kind of long forgotten technology. One of the world's largest e-tailers still sells CDs the last time I checked. I even know some kids who would rather get the CD copy instead of purchase the download. Typical "news" article I suppose. Too much fluff and not enough substance.

I liked the black and white picture of the stereo store though. That was cool! Every department store had a hifi section like that. It was the only reason to go shopping with Mom.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2013, 11:53 pm »
What, no love for the cheesecake in photo #6?
Tsk, tsk, what is this site coming to?

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2013, 01:36 am »
I found it weird that they talked about CDs like they were some kind of long forgotten technology. One of the world's largest e-tailers still sells CDs the last time I checked. I even know some kids who would rather get the CD copy instead of purchase the download. Typical "news" article I suppose. Too much fluff and not enough substance.

I don't know any "kids" who purchase cds, or any kind of physical media. They just find free downloads.
In my view, it's just a matter of time. Of course the "death" won't happen in our lifetime because we're here, but it's coming.

Austin08

« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2013, 01:54 am »
I have 2 nieces and 5 nephews, they are all in their early 20s. They do acknowledge the superior of higher quality recording but at the end of day, what they are going to listen is music from youtube, sportify and Pandora. They do buy some cds and blu ray concerts sometime.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2013, 04:20 pm »
Well, the "kids" that I know that buy CDs don't buy them because they think they sound better. They buy them when they really like the entire album, not just one song. So yeah, they download and you-tube most of the time, but they also enjoy owning a CD too. I realize that my friends and family don't buy very much physical media, but still, why would they buy an occasional CD when they are used to downloading? There must be some reason.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but every time I go into my local record store the majority of people who are actually buying music are under 30 years old. That always cheers me up.  :D

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 30 Sep 2013, 12:14 pm »

I liked the black and white picture of the stereo store though. That was cool! Every department store had a hifi section like that. It was the only reason to go shopping with Mom.

Well, I read a story a couple years back that over a third of music titlesreleased that year had no physical media release (meaning usually CD) at all. Only compressed download format. I'm sure that trend hasn't changed....
Kids who listen only to "recordings" of artists "accompanied" by "virtual" instruments "recorded" in "virtual" acoustic environments, and then released on compressed audio formats, have no "fidelity"reference because there is no reality to aspire to emulate. That's what their ears expect music to sound like. Even "live" sounds like that now after being stuffed through wireless mics etc. So perhaps that is the new "fidelity"?

Quiet Earth

« Reply #10 on: 30 Sep 2013, 01:28 pm »
Maybe so.

You know, I totally get the fact that CDs are going away. I just don't want to burry them before they're dead. I will continue to buy them, plus there is enough used material out there to last me a life time.

Good topic guys! Yes the times they are a changing. I should probably get ready for it.

Guy 13

« Reply #11 on: 30 Sep 2013, 01:35 pm »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
First the vinyl, then the tape, then the casette, then the CD,
now the Internet music download or whatever you call it,
then what's next before I kick the bucket ? ? ?
Can someone tell me what will be next ? ? ?
My crystal ball is all foggy, can't see anything.

Guy 13

Hopefully, vinyl and CD should be around for a few more years,
not sure about FM?

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 30 Sep 2013, 03:21 pm »
then what's next before I kick the bucket ? ? ?
Can someone tell me what will be next ? ? ?
My crystal ball is all foggy, can't see anything.

Guy 13

Hopefully, vinyl and CD should be around for a few more years,
not sure about FM?

The broadband/cable companies will have movies and music archived much like the video on demand you can get now.  There will be a pay per view for those that don't want to buy the music just like renting a movie.

Buckets will be gone too - Soylent Green will be the norm :green:

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #13 on: 30 Sep 2013, 06:36 pm »
"Soylent Green" - ha-ha!    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070723/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Uh-oh, looks like there's a remake on the way:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1334614/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

After all, you ARE what you eat!  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Phil A

« Reply #14 on: 30 Sep 2013, 08:43 pm »
"Soylent Green" - ha-ha!    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070723/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Uh-oh, looks like there's a remake on the way:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1334614/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

After all, you ARE what you eat!  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

I don't know but I hear that Canadians are best served chilled :lol:

hakka26

« Reply #15 on: 1 Oct 2013, 06:49 am »
There are lots of great vintage photos and I hate to admit it but the author is spot on.
How many people do you know who really have good stereos? 
How many of your neighbors do you think go home at the end of the day and listen to music as their primary source of entertainment instead of just background noise?

How many people, especially the young, share music today? It's all headphones and personal devices ... I don't consider the asswad with the 3000w system bouncing around in the car next to me, "sharing." :duh:

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #16 on: 1 Oct 2013, 11:03 am »
I don't consider the asswad with the 3000w system bouncing around in the car next to me, "sharing
+1