6moons Speaker review

dpatters

Re: 6moons Speaker review
« Reply #20 on: 28 Aug 2014, 07:24 pm »
That's a Mercedes AMG paint called Sepang Brown.  The front baffle of my soon to be completed Joule Black is going to be painted the same color with the rest of the cabinet finished in a walnut burl veneer. Those Auroras should come out really nice! Looking forward to the review.

Don P.

bajaed

« Reply #21 on: 29 Aug 2014, 05:58 am »
Don your Joules are going to be amazing. When I saw the render of your speakers I was blown away. Gorgeous veneer and paint combo.

I got to see a cross section of Vapor's transmission line cabinet,  the design is really cool. No angles or parallel surfaces to cause reflection of sound waves. I saw a picture of another manufacturers tl cabinet and it looked like a high school wood shop project compared to the Joule cabinet.

I'd love an opportunity to hear them sometime.

spreadspectrum

« Reply #22 on: 29 Aug 2014, 11:52 am »
The front baffle of my soon to be completed Joule Black is going to be painted the same color with the rest of the cabinet finished in a walnut burl veneer.

Don P.

Don, congratulations.  I have a pair of Joule in the que a ways behind yours, and the renders of the speakers you are getting inspired me for finish options.  Pretty stunning.  Please post images when you receive them.

dpatters

« Reply #23 on: 29 Aug 2014, 01:39 pm »
Don your Joules are going to be amazing. When I saw the render of your speakers I was blown away. Gorgeous veneer and paint combo.

I got to see a cross section of Vapor's transmission line cabinet,  the design is really cool. No angles or parallel surfaces to cause reflection of sound waves. I saw a picture of another manufacturers tl cabinet and it looked like a high school wood shop project compared to the Joule cabinet.

I'd love an opportunity to hear them sometime.

bajaed,

I think we are getting close to the completion of the build.  I will post pics and update my system page after I take delivery.  I am in central Pennsylvania.  If you ever get out my way you would be welcome to come hear them.

Don P.

dpatters

« Reply #24 on: 29 Aug 2014, 01:46 pm »
Don, congratulations.  I have a pair of Joule in the que a ways behind yours, and the renders of the speakers you are getting inspired me for finish options.  Pretty stunning.  Please post images when you receive them.

Congratulations on your order.  Ryan is pretty meticulous so have patience.  I will certainly post pics when they arrive.

Didn't mean to get the thread off topic everyone. When I saw that paint color I couldn't help but to interject!

Don P.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #25 on: 29 Aug 2014, 05:32 pm »
Change of plans. Ryan was clearly keen on broadening his inventory of Aurora photo finishes and made some very interesting suggestions. Since everyone already knows what the all white looks like, we now settled on this:

Vroom, vroom. It should be a stunningly rich coffee colour and work really well in our interior to boot. And it should still be easier to shoot than piano gloss black :oops:

The return of metallic browns is opening up some interesting possibilities for home stereo speakers!  Earth tones with real depth and pop, that Sepang Brown is a great color.  I sprayed out a test patch and it looks fantastic, subdued in darker light, but pops when the sun hits it. 

Speaking of pop, we can even spray House of Kolor paints.  There's an extra charge for doing so, but look through all the possibilities - http://www.houseofkolor.com.au/products/

A couple that jumped out at me - although we are heading down a tangent now, I like talking paint  :lol:

And how are these for black/white/silver options?

And this is the color that Steve Nugent is getting on his Nimbus White, ballsy  :wink:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #26 on: 29 Aug 2014, 07:14 pm »
Saab had a sexy metallic brown a couple years ago that changed my mind on this particular color as an automotive finish.

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 30 Aug 2014, 06:37 pm »
I've also seen the Elac model BS 403 in what they call tobacco high gloss: http://www.elac.com/en/products/Line_400/BS_403/index.php

It's far more attractive under the light than it looks in photos so I'm sure the AMG version will be stunning. Quite the antithesis to dog shit the colour might conjure up when you first mention it to someone  :nono:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 30 Aug 2014, 07:32 pm »
Quite the antithesis to dog shit the colour might conjure up when you first mention it to someone  :nono:
Ford Maverick Brown comes to mind.  :lol:

arthurs

« Reply #29 on: 30 Aug 2014, 08:27 pm »
Ryan, a few years ago I did my Montana speakers in the top House of Kolor brown you have here and did a gold pearl coat over it, absolutely beautiful. Drop me an email and I can send you some pics.

Hope all is well,
Art

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #30 on: 30 Aug 2014, 08:43 pm »
Brown, not for your Grandmothers Maverick anymore!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 30 Aug 2014, 08:57 pm »
Oh gawd...that's ugly.  :duh:
Ryan, I've got some fancy IPA down here with your name on it. The door is open, come on down.
I know you're not busy.  :icon_twisted:

maxboy00

« Reply #32 on: 30 Aug 2014, 09:18 pm »

Forget grandma, that was my first car, 74 Maverick, in brown of course.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 30 Aug 2014, 09:32 pm »
Forget grandma, that was my first car, 74 Maverick, in brown of course.
At this point in time, you're in danger of having to turn in your man card.  :wink:

roscoeiii

« Reply #34 on: 31 Aug 2014, 12:32 am »

Oh man, we had a Maverick when i was a kid!

bummrush

« Reply #35 on: 31 Aug 2014, 08:54 pm »
Rolled one of those in 75.Had a 302 in it

roscoeiii

« Reply #36 on: 31 Aug 2014, 09:19 pm »
Rolled one of those in 75.Had a 302 in it

Yeah,  some of those had a big  ass engine in them.

mav52

« Reply #37 on: 1 Sep 2014, 01:36 pm »

My eyes, my eyes

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #38 on: 12 Nov 2014, 03:06 am »
I have to post a note saying that I decided to cancel the 6moons review. 

Srajan's decision to 'sell' reviews outlined here - http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/why/why.html

And discussed further here -  http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=critics&m=76060

Simply cast too much doubt for me on the legitimacy of reviews written.  And I wasn't notified of this policy until weeks after details were made for sending a review pair.  In fact, it was after he posted his preview page, and after this thread was started that I was told.  This policy alone I probably could have moved past, but hearing of it caused a lot of consternation on my part, and started me down the path of reaching out to other reviewers and friends in the industry.  During which I heard a lot more reason for concern, in fact it was unanimous that I should protect myself.  In the end it wasn't an easy decision, but protecting myself and the others who count on me was the deciding factor. 

Even still I want it to be known that I wish it could have happened, the review that is.  I've always held 6moons and Srajan's writing in very high regard, what can I say I enjoy verbal gesticulation, and Srajan is a master of it.  I would have loved to see what he came up with to describe our work.  I don't think any less of Srajan or his publication, I just think he made a poor decision of how to monetize his website that will cast an even darker shadow in an industry where reviewers and reviews are already viewed with such cynicism. 

BTW, this pair of Aurora in question has been completed since just before we left for RMAF.  We are using this extra time with them to redesign with the new Transducer Labs Beryllium tweeter, a change from the current ceramic tweeter.  The decision to use the more expensive tweeter was made en route to Denver, and is reflected in the price change from $3500/pair to $4000/pair.  I do still expect that once crossover voicing is done with the new Be tweeter we will send them out for review.  In fact I have already spoken with some possible candidates.  I expect that can happen quickly. 

What the fallout of cancelling the review will be, I don't know.  We'll just see where it goes. 

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #39 on: 12 Nov 2014, 03:44 am »
I have to post a note saying that I decided to cancel the 6moons review. 

Srajan's decision to 'sell' reviews outlined here - http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/why/why.html

And discussed further here -  http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=critics&m=76060

Simply cast too much doubt for me on the legitimacy of reviews written.  And I wasn't notified of this policy until weeks after details were made for sending a review pair.  In fact, it was after he posted his preview page, and after this thread was started that I was told.  This policy alone I probably could have moved past, but hearing of it caused a lot of consternation on my part, and started me down the path of reaching out to other reviewers and friends in the industry.  During which I heard a lot more reason for concern, in fact it was unanimous that I should protect myself.  In the end it wasn't an easy decision, but protecting myself and the others who count on me was the deciding factor. 

Even still I want it to be known that I wish it could have happened, the review that is.  I've always held 6moons and Srajan's writing in very high regard, what can I say I enjoy verbal gesticulation, and Srajan is a master of it.  I would have loved to see what he came up with to describe our work.  I don't think any less of Srajan or his publication, I just think he made a poor decision of how to monetize his website that will cast an even darker shadow in an industry where reviewers and reviews are already viewed with such cynicism. 

BTW, this pair of Aurora in question has been completed since just before we left for RMAF.  We are using this extra time with them to redesign with the new Transducer Labs Beryllium tweeter, a change from the current ceramic tweeter.  The decision to use the more expensive tweeter was made en route to Denver, and is reflected in the price change from $3500/pair to $4000/pair.  I do still expect that once crossover voicing is done with the new Be tweeter we will send them out for review.  In fact I have already spoken with some possible candidates.  I expect that can happen quickly. 

What the fallout of cancelling the review will be, I don't know.  We'll just see where it goes.

I once took a college class that addressed this sort of thing... :o