• I'm just not right!
Value is relative...
« on: 1 Feb 2016, 07:23 pm »
Unfortunately.

Brad

Re: Value is relative...
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2016, 07:48 pm »
Strongly agree with this. :thumb:

There are quite a few folks here who don't feel that way though.
Free ripping services?
Selling used portable music player, with memory cards already loaded with DSD files?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2016, 01:33 am »
Or pay $10-19 a month to rent it.......

Im continually surprised by / people customers - even "audiophiles" - who don't want to pay for a music subscription to say Tidal.  One of the main reasons - "I don't want to pay for another subscription - I have too many".  Maybe if you've already have a huge catalog or just want to listen over & over to the same albums you own.  But otherwise - can't imagine anyone who is really a music lover not wanting such a great and low cost way towards music discovery (new or old music - it's still new to me).

GentleBender

« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2016, 01:42 pm »
I don't mind paying $9 something a month for Spotify to hear most of the new music coming out. I figure it saves me more in the long run to prevent me from wasting precious money on an album I don't like. Plus I can listen to things that I may not like enough to purchase or too expensive on vinyl. I also use it to discover artists I see here in members playlist which has cost me some money.

Maybe I should rethink the saving money part  :duh:  :D

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2016, 03:26 pm »
I'm plenty happy with my premium Tidal service. I get to listen to all kinds of unfamiliar music - some of which I read about here. I still buy CDs, but now I buy with more confidence.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2016, 03:54 pm »
I'm plenty happy with my premium Tidal service. I get to listen to all kinds of unfamiliar music - some of which I read about here. I still buy CDs, but now I buy with more confidence.

+1!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2016, 04:59 pm »
Unfortunately most of guys from my audio club have pirated their music.

So my meager collection pales in comparison.  They admire my commitment, but it doesn't stop them from listening to 6TB of music.

One of the guys just lent me about 20 CD's.  As always I'll return them, purchase the ones I like, and scrub the rest from my drive.

How do you guys feel about buying used CD's in this context?  Lately I've been buying most used from Amazon.
« Last Edit: 3 Feb 2016, 12:37 am by JLM »

Guy 13

« Reply #7 on: 2 Feb 2016, 05:17 pm »

So my meager collection pales in comparison.  They admire my commitment, but it doesn't stop them from listening to 6TB of music.

One of the guys just lent me about 20 CD's.  As always I'll return them and purchase the ones I like.

How do you guys feel about buying used CD's in this context?

Hi JLM,
if you want to go by the book,
you should not buy CD from others, only from store or Amazon or the same,
the same goes for downloading music from the Internet, it should be from legitimate
suppliers.
But.... If you go by the book you are more catholic than the pope. (If you know - understand the expression.
I am more like 75% ligitimate and 25% copies acquired from friends (Gifts...)
Does that make me a thief ???

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #8 on: 2 Feb 2016, 05:35 pm »
Hi all.
May I add something ?
Since the time I bought my Grace Mondo Internet table radio about three years ago
(Mainly for background music while working on my computer posting
on Chuckle with Guy 13  :lol: )  listen to free music that are mainly sample trial program
to buy subscription to their radio station.
I have already chosen which stations I like the most
and when I get back on planet Vietnam I will buy a subscription for 6$ a month
or even cheaper on a one year basis.
No advertising whatsoever and choice of different programming.
1000 HITS Classical + Classical Guitar 181.FM + Radio Art Stress relief radio.
(Yes, that't approximately 3 X 6$ a month, so 18$ a month of only music I enjoy.
They broadcast more different type of music than their name suggest.
Minds you, the second and third station have commercials (30 secs.)
every 5 or 10 minutes.

Guy 13

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #9 on: 2 Feb 2016, 10:28 pm »

One of the guys just lent me about 20 CD's.  As always I'll return them and purchase the ones I like.

How do you guys feel about buying used CD's in this context?

Good on you! Like you, I've purchased all of the music on my disk drives, and I still have the CDs. That's not ever going to change. I buy new, unless the title is no longer available. Out of the approximately 2,000 CDs on my shelves, maybe 20 were purchased used. I don't see anything inherently wrong with buying used, unless the seller has retained a digital copy. As far as my record collection goes, at least 95% what I have left was purchased new. So far, I haven't really gotten into streaming services, except in an effort to find new music to purchase.

It may seem anachronistic to some, but I couldn't agree more with the point made by the image thunderbrick posted to start this thread.

JoshK

« Reply #10 on: 3 Feb 2016, 12:18 am »
I have pirated music, almost all of which is stuff that is nice to have once in a rarity but not stuff I normally listen to (jazz, some classical, classic rock).   The stuff I really like and listen to I buy, even if I already have a pirated copy. 

What I normally do these days is listen to new stuff on youtube (at work, its what I normally use) and if I like it it immediately goes in my basket, either on amazon or bandcamp and then I purchase later in the day.  Bandcamp is a great source for FLAC downloads with the cover image.  It's often a couple bucks cheaper than buying the physical cd off amazon and I don't have to rip it later, plus the convenience of streaming once you bought off multiple sources including at work.

Zero

« Reply #11 on: 3 Feb 2016, 12:43 am »
Another great way to discover new music:  8tracks.com

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #12 on: 3 Feb 2016, 03:01 am »
Certainly I support the artists even though most would probably still make music if they couldn't earn a living from it ... one of the reasons why people will always have recorded music available in one form or another.

But I do wish people had a more complete understanding of exactly whom you are paying when you buy a CD. It's certainly not the artist, at least to the extent that most people assume it is.

Only full-retail CDs (or more precisely, full-wholesale CDs) result in a royalty payment to the signed artist; the labels do not pay royalties for any discounted or "remainder" CDs.
The label only pays royalties on between 90 and 95% of full-retail sales; they retain the rest to account for "promotional" copies of the disk.
The artists do not own any copyrights to the music on a disk, the label owns all copyrights. Signing over your copyrights is the condition on which a record contract is offered.
Artists are loaned money by the label to create the CD and any accompanying video production and often what amounts to the equivalent of wages.
The loan amount must be repaid from royalties on sales of CDs and downloads before any amount is paid in the form of a check to the artists. Often the artists never manage to pay the label back, and don't actually earn any income from an album release.
Artists are paid a royalty rate of about 5 cents per song for CDs, and less for a single song download.
Any record contract signed prior to the launch of iTunes, and for a number of years afterward, was interpreted by the labels as having a royalty rate for downloads of $zero. Artists had to sue to receive any royalties at all for downloaded songs.
If you pay $20 for a CD with a wholesale cost of maybe $13, the artist's typical royalty is less than $1; the label gets the other $12 and change. For as long as an outstanding balance exists for the money the label has loaned the artist, the label keeps all $13.
If you buy a downloaded song from iTunes for 99c, Apple keeps 29c and pays for all the infrastructure and hosting from that fee. The label gets 70c and it costs the label nothing to have the song available for download. The typical royalty paid by the label to the artists' account for a single song download is 3c.
If you pay more for a high resolution download of a song, the royalty rate remains the same as for a lossy download of the same song.
Artists used to be able to earn income from live performances and touring, and merchandise sold on tours. But contracts offered artists in the last few years include a percentage of tour and merchandise income for the label.

If you mailed a dollar bill to the artist and pirated the CD, the artist would generally be earning more than he/she/they would if you bought the album for $20. If you mailed a dime to the artist and pirated a single song download, you would be tripling the income the artist would normally receive had you paid for the download.

jlawson1977

« Reply #13 on: 3 Feb 2016, 04:12 pm »
How do you guys feel about buying used CD's in this context?  Lately I've been buying most used from Amazon.

I'm pretty old school being 95% analog.   There only digital capability in my system is a Sony CD player.  No mp3, flac , dsd or whatever so I'm not able to "pirate" the music in that sense.  I have no problem cruising the shelves at record stores looking for vintage vinyl or used CDs.  I don't believe I'm doing any disservice to the original artists by doing so.  I purchase plenty of new music on physical media to support the artist.  If I decide some of my purchases aren't good choices, I have no problem selling or giving that purchase to someone without paying any royalties.

Think about it this way:  If I buy a new car or refrigerator, do I pay GM or GE a percentage when I sell them used? 

Just my humble opinion.