Paul Kantner of Jefferson Airplane dies at 74

Freo-1

Paul Kantner of Jefferson Airplane dies at 74
« on: 29 Jan 2016, 02:03 am »
Man, yet another rocker of yesteryear has passed away.

http://www.sfgate.com/music/article/Jefferson-Airplane-s-Paul-Kantner-dies-at-74-6791483.php

The Airplane was one of the first rock groups other then the Beatles or Stones that I really enjoyed.

Phil A

Re: Paul Kantner of Jefferson Airplane dies at 74
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2016, 02:09 am »
Is this a horrible year or what - I was just listening to one of his songs early in this afternoon in my car from the Jefferson Airplane.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2016, 03:18 am »
Oh no, that IS bad news.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2016, 04:19 am »
He's the one person from that band I would have liked to share a beer with. RIP Mr. Kantner.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2016, 04:27 am »
Bummer! January has been a bad month for rock n roll. JA is one of my favorite groups of all time. Going to miss you Paul, RIP.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2016, 09:54 am »
These people lived fast and partied hard. Not surprising that they cut their lives short by a few years. Nonetheless, this news is more tiresome and discouraging with every announcement. Am I next?

decal

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2016, 02:48 pm »
 I was looking thru my albums last night and realized,most of these artists are dead. Sad indeed.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2016, 03:10 pm »
Sad news. Part of the cycle, but the older we get those we watched & listened to in our early years leave us. This is not starting out as a good year for children of the '50s & '60s. RIP Mr. Kantner

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jan 2016, 04:21 am »
Just found out the original singer with the Airplane, Signe Anderson, died the same day as Kantner - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signe_Toly_Anderson

Freo-1

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan 2016, 01:20 pm »
Holy Cow!  What are the odds of that? 

Jefferson Airplane was one of the first rock bands who "pushed the limits" with both sound and lyrics.  Catch the video of their appearance on the Smothers Brothers TV show.  Today, that would have caused a huge firestorm. Their live show from the top of a New York building in 68 was (and still is) pretty out there.