no
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Always powered on?

nmolenbeek

Always powered on?
« on: 17 Jan 2010, 01:16 pm »
Seth, (or others)

If i would like to leave the Virtue One.2 powered on 24/7 would that be a problem? It would be great with my squeezebox transporter setup.

Also is there someone who can tell me the power consumption of the Virtue if there is no sound?

Thanks Nico

Wind Chaser

Re: Always powered on?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2010, 01:37 pm »
IMO leaving the power on SS devices is better than turning it on and off. 

The only exception to the rule might be Class A amps because they run full out regardless input signal strength, which may generate more heat than desired, not to mention the unnecessary substantial consumption of electricity.

Unlike Class A amps, the Virtue amps are very efficient.  You can leave them on 24/7 and you'll hardly notice a difference in your monthly power bill.

PSB Guy

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2010, 03:39 pm »
I've had my One powered up constantly since July, except for interruptions for changing the fuse, changing power supplies, and upgrading ICs. No problems here, I think keeping the power on constantly is easier on the circuits than power on/off cycles. It says on the website that the draw is a maximum 12w with the 30v/130w power supply.

nmolenbeek

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2010, 06:04 pm »
Thanks both for the quick reply!.

Lets hope Seth can ship the amp fast.

Thanks, Nico

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2010, 05:32 pm »
Thanks for your reply, Cornelis!  Wattage consumption is in the manual and Q&A page and you are right.  It's a dainty sipper.  My guess is that leaving them on (idle) will decrease the lifespan, but not by much.  The soft-starts will eliminate turn/on off wear-and-tear which I frankly worry about as customers adopt the 130w supply and larger.