dspMusikLCD system

HAL

Re: dspMusikLCD system
« Reply #20 on: 21 Oct 2017, 10:49 am »
Have reviewed the JBL M2 specifications for the digital crossover, and have made a dspMusikLCD version for trials. 

Since Crown has a special type of shelving filter, will make measurements to see if the response will match the target they provide.

Let me know if you are interested.

HAL

« Reply #21 on: 24 Oct 2017, 04:24 pm »
One of the upgrades added to the dspMusikLCD is the capability to adapt the ADC and DAC's to varying input signal ranges with the remote control.  Some consumer audio gear really hates Pro balanced levels that most DSP crossovers use for multiway crossover systems.  It is a much higher level than consumer gear expects to see and can lead to subtle overload in front ends.  That capability is now adjustable by the user.

HAL

« Reply #22 on: 3 Nov 2017, 03:14 am »
This evening at CAF2017 setup the dspMusikLCD with my iFI iCan headphone amp and HiFiMan HE500 phones.  Using a Netbook as the Music Server for replay from my 1TB SSD, have a wonderful sounding music reproduction system. 

HAL

« Reply #23 on: 6 Nov 2017, 12:39 pm »
Here is an interesting demo I did for some folks I know at CAF2017.

I built a block diagram with a 2-way L-R 8-pole crossover using the high precision filters and then summed the output.  The L-R alignment was designed to allow flat summing through the crossover.  I then set the Fc to 1KHz right in the middle of the most sensitive part of the hearing range to enhance any anomalies one might hear if they existed.   Then just made it a stereo HiRez DAC.

No one could tell they are listening to 16-poles of digital filter.  It just sounded like a really good headphone system using an iFi iCan and HiFiMan HE500 phones. 

A long time ago I rebuild a pair of VMPS RM40 speakers using L-R 8-pole filters in a digital crossover and sounded very good after testing, so this is something useful.

Try doing that with a passive crossover! :)
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2017, 02:26 am by HAL »

HAL

« Reply #24 on: 2 Dec 2017, 04:51 pm »
The dspMusikLCD ADC is now running with Windows 10 via the USB port. Now measurement software and DAW can access the 24bit/192KHz ADC module for use. Also works with programs like Adobe Audition 3.0 or Audacity for DAW use.

Testing it with the latest Room EQ Wizard as it supports ASIO drivers and 24bit/192KHz ADC's with the latest version. MathAudio RoomEQ will work up to 24bit/96KHz, but this ADC only runs at the higher rate.

This will work on both the 8 channel and 16 channel dspMusikLCD systems.

HAL

« Reply #25 on: 5 Dec 2017, 12:39 pm »
Taking the developer of the dspMusikLCD to Avoosl's place this evening to hear it running his VMPS RM50 speakers and Parasound Halo biamp system running them. 

Lots of music and beers for discussions.

HAL

« Reply #26 on: 27 Jan 2019, 09:35 pm »
Have started testing the dspMusikLCD 2x8 and 2x16 digital crossover with the HAL MS-5 Music Server PC. 

Getting the dspMusikLCD 2x8 setup with The Monoliths in the new listening area soon. 

The dspMusikLCD 2x16 and first MS-5 is setup with The Megaliths in the other listening area.  Moving the line arrays to the new location is done.   Now to reconnect and get them running.  Then tweaking positions.

This is getting ready for listening demo's that have been requested, so getting close.

HAL

« Reply #27 on: 31 Jan 2019, 02:40 am »
The dspMusikLCD uses 4-AKM AK4495EQ DAC's and AK5497 ADC. The AK5497 ADC has Minimum Phase filter capability. The DAC's have 5 different filter styles that are user selectable. Both the ADC and DAC filters can be accessed and changed via the remote control.

Here are the impulse response types available on the AK4495, the only one not available is the low dispersion filter that is on the AK4497 DAC only.