• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: HOW TO LISTEN TO HIGH END AUDIO:
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2017, 11:59 am »
Warning:

First two links spend a total of 37 minutes rambling on about entry level considerations for digital formats and various headphone options.

The third link is shorter but berates vinyl as too noisy and digital for having no soul, and as such neither offer a viable hi-fidelity source option.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2017, 12:13 pm »
Warning:

First two links spend a total of 37 minutes rambling on about entry level considerations for digital formats and various headphone options.

The third link is shorter but berates vinyl as too noisy and digital for having no soul, and as such neither offer a viable hi-fidelity source option.

:thumb:

"soul"? Quasi-religious, I would say. Not good for an audio thread imo.

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2017, 05:15 pm »
I'm sure there are plenty here on AC who could come up with an amazing article or video about this subject.  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2017, 05:27 pm »
Yes that was my intent - it would be interesting to see how people would teach others to listen properly to high quality audio.

james

Wind Chaser

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2017, 05:32 pm »
HOW TO LISTEN TO HIGH END AUDIO?

There's only one way that works for me. Eyes closed, pay attention to what you hear. That's it.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2017, 05:45 pm »
  One requires a baseline to judge reproduced music. That is live musical events. Preferably un-amplified music. Tonality, harmonics of such as a reference is crucial in evaluating an audio system. Being in a good mood is a must. Being comfortable in a chair helps as well. No Golden Ears required just your recollection of real sound in real time.
  If one plays an instrument at home an easier task.

charles

veloceleste

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jul 2017, 06:53 pm »
In addition to a live musical reference, one needs a recorded reference.  A recording they are completely familiar with and could use to pick out differences between equipment they are auditioning.

sebrof

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jul 2017, 07:06 pm »
  One requires a baseline to judge reproduced music. That is live musical events. Preferably un-amplified music. Tonality, harmonics of such as a reference is crucial in evaluating an audio system. Being in a good mood is a must. Being comfortable in a chair helps as well. No Golden Ears required just your recollection of real sound in real time.
  If one plays an instrument at home an easier task.

charles
Who said anything about judging? I thought we were talking about listening.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jul 2017, 07:39 pm »
I'm also in the eyes closed and concentrate on what you're listening to camp.   Mainly, I don't want any visual distractions while listening.

I typically listen to classical music and I listen for specific instruments as well as instrument placement, tonality and overall sound stage imaging.  Does a contra bassoon or bass clarinet sound like they're supposed to sound or is it just some low freq mush?  Is it easy to tell the difference between a Trombone and a French Horn when they're playing close to the same notes?  Do cymbals sound like cymbals?  Can you tell if what they're using to hit the cymbal? Is it a brush or a mallet or a stick?  Do string basses, when plucked have appropriate decay?  There a lots of things that you can listen for.

If you scrounge around on the web, you can find pdf's of Classical composition scores.   That way you can see exactly what is supposed to be in the recording.  Pick an instrument passage and see if you can hear it.   My reference work is Telarc's recording of the Cleveland Orchestra performing "Pictures at an Exhibition".  It's 30 minutes long and works all sections of the orchestra pretty hard.

Other works may have pizzicato runs starting in the lower strings and going all the way up into the violins.  Do these sound even or are they softer in certain octave portions possibly due to frequency response dips?

Being an orchestral musician, music sounds very different on stage than on a recording. Occasionally,  the Orchestra I'm in has donors sit on stage (distributed throughout the orchestra) during a dress rehearsal.  Most of them are shocked at how different it sounds compared to sitting out in front of the orchestra in the hall.

A great performance that has been well recorded can be very enjoyable, even if it's not live and for me, that's the point of audio.  To take you someplace musically that you couldn't get to otherwise.

HsvHeelFan

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #10 on: 11 Jul 2017, 08:19 pm »
Good Topic!
I didn't go to the links. From other posts, the links are crap.

First thing from prior posts.. I NEVER go to any live concerts. I despise most other Humans, and so I would really just be totally uncomfortable with the idiots who go to any Rock concert. Even the old fogies who go to the old fogies stuff like ANY of the 1970s bands still creaking up on a stage.. I am not well off enough to afford Classical concerts.. Mainly the clothing required. LOL
Jazz...no excuse other than #1.
Whew, writing that felt good.

As far as a system? ANYTHING that plays music is perfectly fine to practice listening.
This includes:
You 1966 transistor radio.
Your bedside clock radio
The cheap receiver you found at Purple Heart for $20, and the old speakers with the broken surrounds you DUCT TAPED.. This was for my friend...both parts, includes a $8 CD player!)
Why do I say this? Because the "LOVE OF MUSIC" is paramount. SO my criteria INCLUDES being able to listen to music on ANYTHING, and being happy with it.
So all those who ears bleed without a steaming pile $50,000 of crap plugged in... Sorry... REJECT..

Secondly is being able to PAY ATTENTION.
This is something that is good anywhere, anytime. For any purpose.
So if you mind is like a damn circus... Sorry, you too are a reject.
Go find out how to calm your feverish brain FIRST. Some folks use alcohol for this...

KNOW the music. Folks who only like Rock this is harder. There IS only one performance ,though live takes and the current craze for behind the scenes takes helps.
In Classical there are warhorses. folks know them inside out upside down in ten.. maybe twenty different recordings. This allows the listener to really dig deep into a performance. And I would rate long time Classical music listeners as automatically wonderful listeners..
Jazz it depends.. Kind of partway between the Rock And Classcial listener.
If you have listened to Classical a lot even is you prefer Rock, you may already also have a pass..

HAVE YOU EVER GOTTEN GOOSEBUMPS? requirement. If you have NEVER gotten goosebumps from listening to music.. Forget it. you cannot do the task.

All the rest is just going ahead and listening.
And experience. Having listened to plenty of music for  many years...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

How WOULD I teach others to listen to high end audio?
Well. still the mind... Grasshopper.
If you cannot have a calm, still mind, open to the environment. It is impossible to actually LISTEN to music.
So a calm mind, open to the environment is number one.
I think one of the things which separates music lovers from folks for whom music will always be a background noise is listeners listen. Everyone else is to busy to bother to really listen, and do only that.

If one can DO the still open mind. Everything else is just experience.
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2017, 10:53 pm by Elizabeth »

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #11 on: 11 Jul 2017, 08:44 pm »
For a lot of newcomers or the younger generation that ask me this question, I tell them to go attend some live shows. Especially for students where there are tons of discounts available.

In particular, I like to suggest going to a symphony even if that's not your style of music. Get a seat up close (which a lot of people don't realize are cheaper than the prime seats). There is so much texture and depth/width to the sound, and I tell newcomers to let themselves be immersed. Try to pinpoint the location of the instruments first, then later feel how the whole sections flow. Feel the difference between how the strings and brass reach you; whether they hit you or swim around you. Feel the reverberations through the floor from the percussion to your left and the cellos/bass to your right and recognize the difference between that impact and rumble. Recognize the difference of sounds coming direct from the instruments, vs room reflections.

Etc etc.

I'm not saying that the live music is necessarily better (a lot of recorded music would not sound good live for example), but the experience of a symphony contains a lot of easily discernible elements that will help a newcomer develop better listening skills.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jul 2017, 08:53 pm »
I'm also in the eyes closed and concentrate on what you're listening to camp.   Mainly, I don't want any visual distractions while listening.

I was going to flesh that thought out more, but you did a pretty good job.

I would add that all visual input distracts / interfers the minds ability to concentrate focus completely on the auditory input. That's why blind people have such acute hearing.

You touched on sound staging and imaging; to really appreciate these qualities you literally have to see with your ears. When the eyes are open, the mind doesn't perceive these qualities as it otherwise would.

A great performance that has been well recorded can be very enjoyable, even if it's not live, and for me, that's the point of audio.  To take you someplace musically that you couldn't get to otherwise.

Couldn't have said it better.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2017, 12:28 am by Wind Chaser »

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 11 Jul 2017, 09:18 pm »
HOW TO LISTEN TO HIGH END AUDIO?

There's only one way that works for me. Eyes closed, pay attention to what you hear. That's it.

I agree completely.  enjoy music reproduction without getting all analytical like an audio microscope.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 11 Jul 2017, 09:21 pm »
Who said anything about judging? I thought we were talking about listening.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Big difference between listening to music on good gear (this thread) vs. evaluating (shopping) for gear that you're undecided on.

Who needs to "evaluate" their own home audio system, especially if it's been there for years?

[Sorry for the multiple posts -- I've forgotten how to reply to multiples in one spread...]

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 11 Jul 2017, 09:27 pm »
Good Topic!
I didn't go to the links. From other posts, the links are crap.

First thing from prior posts.. I NEVER go to any live concerts. I despise most other Humans, and so I would really just be totally uncomfortable with the idiots who go to any Rock concert. Even the old fogies who go to the old fogies stuff like ANY of the 1970s bands still creaking up on a stage.. I am not well off enough to afford Classical concerts.. Mainly the clothing required. LOL
Jazz...no excuse other than #1.
Whew, writing that felt good.

As far as a system? ANYTHING that plays music is perfectly fine to practice listening.
This includes:
You 1966 transistor radio.
Your bedside clock radio

KNOW the music. And I would rate long time Classical music listeners as automatically wonderful listeners..

Geez, despise humans? Wouldn't know it from your avatar.... :scratch:

I know friends who get max satisfaction out of a dime-store radio. So, it's not about the gear, it's about the music vibe penetrating deep into you.... :duh:

I agree -- classical music has so much going on in a piece, that it automatically puts your brain into a heightened state of paying attention. In a good way, not a stressful way like driving on a crowded freeway.  :thumb:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #16 on: 11 Jul 2017, 09:32 pm »
Geez, despise humans? Wouldn't know it from your avatar.... :scratch:

I should have written I despise (big) crowds of Humans..
 My bad.
I have gone to small chamber music recitals and been very happy with the encounter.

witchdoctor

« Reply #17 on: 11 Jul 2017, 09:35 pm »
The first two videos are boring, the guy in the third one is great. I would love to see him comment on restaurants, fashion, etc. For example:

" Why 4 Star Restaurants Do Not Exist"- If you want high quality food it can only be obtained from the ground, once it is packaged and processed it becomes "nausicious" (nauseus + delicious= nausicious) I only get wild grown food from the forest and animals I shoot and eat on the camp fire within 24 hours. A 4 star restaurant does not do that so they do not exist."

witchdoctor

« Reply #18 on: 11 Jul 2017, 09:39 pm »
This would actually make a great survey for all of the vendors here, I would love to get the collective wisdom from the guys making this stuff with the goal of pleasing the demanding high end market.

witchdoctor

« Reply #19 on: 11 Jul 2017, 09:40 pm »
As for how to really listen to "high end audio"? By using active speakers of course. The music is mastered on active speakers 99% of the time so play it back on active speakers, duh!