BCD-3

Mag

Re: BCD-3
« Reply #20 on: 10 Aug 2017, 12:10 am »
Yes, I have the 4B ST , BP25 amps...I run the cd  into an API 5500 equalizer to get correct the room anomalies....works great. My speakers are modified JBL 120  sitting on custom concrete stands. The BCD3 seems to load more quickly than  bcd1 and generally there are definite but subtle sound improvements...like a more focused base  even at very low volumes. I need more hours on the player yet to really know what happens next ....and I'm certain it will be good stuff.  :thumb: Going to order a spare drive from Bryston ( Stream Unlimited) so ,in the future ,  I won't be disappointed again for lack of repair parts :nono:....learned a lesson...LOL :lol:

I can't find the distortion specs on the API 5500 equalizer. IMO it maybe masking the transparency of your Bryston gear. I used an equalizer in the past and it did just that, mask the sound. It looks like a good equalizer though.

I'm using a Yamaha MG-10 mixer which I believe has similar functionality but low enough distortion that it doesn't mask the sound at least to my ears and it was only $200 bucks CDN. :smoke:

Mag

« Reply #21 on: 10 Aug 2017, 12:16 am »
Another thing I do different is have the mixer inserted after the pre-amp using balanced cables to the amp inputs. :smoke:

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #22 on: 10 Aug 2017, 07:59 am »
I can't find the distortion specs on the API 5500 equalizer. IMO it maybe masking the transparency of your Bryston gear. I used an equalizer in the past and it did just that, mask the sound. It looks like a good equalizer though.

I'm using a Yamaha MG-10 mixer which I believe has similar functionality but low enough distortion that it doesn't mask the sound at least to my ears and it was only $200 bucks CDN. :smoke:
I must say I thought that may be the case but not so ....If anything it has brought out  some small micro elements and details I never knew were on the record....There should be info on this unit on  the API site . I spent about 2700 bucks to get a unit worthy of Bryston specs and so far it has paid off IMO,,, I will try  your suggestion of putting it before the amp..thanks

redbook

« Reply #23 on: 13 Aug 2017, 12:54 am »
 Well  another few hours with the BCD3.....loving every moment :banana piano: :dance: :beer:

WillyP

« Reply #24 on: 13 Aug 2017, 08:32 am »
There is a review of What Hi-Fi of the BCD-3.

Link: https://www.whathifi.com/bryston/bcd-3/review

Kind regards,

Willy

redbook

« Reply #25 on: 13 Aug 2017, 07:45 pm »
I must say I thought that may be the case but not so ....If anything it has brought out  some small micro elements and details I never knew were on the record....There should be info on this unit on  the API site . I spent about 2700 bucks to get a unit worthy of Bryston specs and so far it has paid off IMO,,, I will try  your suggestion of putting it before the amp..thanks
... PIX of my API 5500  dual E.Q....It has a very good  bypass  feature, I think the specs said a silver wired  in and out affair..... :thumb:

Joe Frances

« Reply #26 on: 15 Aug 2017, 11:02 pm »
Have any members seen any comprehensive  new reviews on the BCD3 ?  :scratch:

There is a good review in the latest issue of Stereophile by Art Dudley which is very favorable.  His experience is similar to my own, in that this is a truly remarkable CD player.  A classic in the making. 

redbook

« Reply #27 on: 16 Aug 2017, 01:38 am »
There is a good review in the latest issue of Stereophile by Art Dudley which is very favorable.  His experience is similar to my own, in that this is a truly remarkable CD player.  A classic in the making.
..............thanks :thumb:

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #28 on: 16 Aug 2017, 09:20 am »
This might just be the toy I have been looking for for quite a while now... Now if I only I could find one to play with at home...

redbook

« Reply #29 on: 16 Aug 2017, 03:57 pm »
This might just be the toy I have been looking for for quite a while now... Now if I only I could find one to play with at home...
...........I think you will be very pleased with the 5500. It seems to be a real pro unit mostly used for recording but works very well ( for me) as a playback device.  :thumb:

won ton on

« Reply #30 on: 16 Aug 2017, 06:02 pm »
I'm thinking of getting a BCD-3, to back up my BCD-1.Does anyone still have and listen to their BCD-1 .I have thought about getting a BDP-3 but it still seems to have some problems the software

won ton on

« Reply #31 on: 16 Aug 2017, 06:03 pm »
with the software

sweetspot

« Reply #32 on: 16 Aug 2017, 08:04 pm »
I listen to my bcd-1 on a daily basis. I have had it since 2009 and have never had a problem with it(knock on wood). It still gives me that WOW factor every time I listen. :D

spinner

« Reply #33 on: 16 Aug 2017, 10:48 pm »
Yes, my BCD1 is  the best  from those I had over the years. The down side is that  I won't be able to repair it when needed..(spindle motor, laser ect.)... This is a sad thing to me, I like to keep going on a good thing.  I have purchased the BCD3 in hopes that  I will able to use it far into the future ...it is a wonderful device and bravo to Bryston for creating yet another terrific player....I will soon order a spare drive unit  ( Streamunlimited) just as a back up . :thumb:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #34 on: 16 Aug 2017, 11:14 pm »
Yes, my BCD1 is  the best from those I had over the years. The down side is that  I won't be able to repair it when needed..(spindle motor, laser ect.)... This is a sad thing to me, I like to keep going on a good thing.  I have purchased the BCD3 in hopes that  I will able to use it far into the future ...it is a wonderful device and bravo to Bryston for creating yet another terrific player....I will soon order a spare drive unit  ( Streamunlimited) just as a back up . :thumb:

Interested to read what you think of the sonic gains you achieved when you got the BCD-3, vs. BCD-1. Concise not a lengthy review  :green:  Pluses, minuses. Thanks.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #35 on: 17 Aug 2017, 09:17 am »
...........I think you will be very pleased with the 5500. It seems to be a real pro unit mostly used for recording but works very well ( for me) as a playback device.  :thumb:
I have no problem with pro. The music has gone through one (or a whole bunch) in the studio already, so it is doubtful it will suddenly "deteriorate" the sound at home.
Bryston used to be a more directed at the pro market company at first too.

redbook

« Reply #36 on: 17 Aug 2017, 06:23 pm »
Exactly ....as long as distortions are minimal and dynamics aren't restricted.... :thumb:

Silverbullet

« Reply #37 on: 17 Aug 2017, 11:23 pm »
Had my BCD-1 since 2008, it still works well but the dot matrix display has been losing dots for about the last 4 years and about 60% are gone now so it's virtually useless.

sweetspot

« Reply #38 on: 17 Aug 2017, 11:29 pm »
I always had my display turned off, so it still works fine. I would think Bryston could replace the display if needbe.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #39 on: 18 Aug 2017, 12:23 am »
Some claim that CDPs like BCD-1 can sound better with display off.  :scratch: