BDP-2 Digital Player

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1920 on: 19 Aug 2017, 07:39 pm »
Yes.

Only as DoP and the BDA-3 will only accept up to DoP128, eventually the BDP-2 and 3 will see a native DSD release, but it's some time off.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1921 on: 19 Aug 2017, 07:47 pm »
Internal would look neat and clean for sure, but could negatively impact performance. More than that, how will that impact upgradability? If the speed is already good enough for high-res uncompressed and for Roon purposes, then you won't have to worry about speed as a feature to upgrade in the future.

Will this Wifi dongle work with other devices, or just the BDP?

My android IPTV box came with this wifi USB adapter: http://buylanka.lk/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/UT8V_9wXmVXXXagOFbXW.jpg

In the time being, can I use this adapter to try out with the BDP either now or when the new update comes? Or will the update only support the Bryston dongle?

The BDP firmware has had wifi support since S2.18 and now that we are releasing our own accessory kit we have have gone back and fixed some bugs and made some changes to make it a bit more intuitive.  Our wifi dongle uses an ralink 802.11n chipset supporting up 300mpbs.  The firmware, based on Debian wheezy includes drivers for ralink, atheros and Realtek.  802.11ac wifi dongles aren't likely to be supported due to what appears to be somewhat limited support for the newest procotol and the fact our kernel 3.16 is quite old at this point.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1922 on: 19 Aug 2017, 07:51 pm »
S2.34 2017-06-20
Chris:
 Have had a couple of power outages in the last month.  My procedure is to turn off the BDP, unplug -- replug in, and finally turn the BDP back on.  In the past this has worked OK.

The last couple of times, after above, new tracks added do not update properly; The data base progress window on the bottom right never shows yet the tracks do turn from red to gray.  Although they appear to be ready to use ( gray not red ) adding them to a playlist does not work.  I can add them and MM shows they were added but when I attempt to save the playlist the word "Saved!" never shows on the playlist save window and the tracks do not show when looking at the M3U playlist in the playlist folder.

The resolution is to reboot the BDP from the Dashboard after which the added tracks are red again.  Now they can be added by clicking on + and the data base window does show.

For some reason I now have to add the Dashboard / Reboot BDP step after a power outage.  Is this normal?

Thanks. Rich

Hi Rich,

Some of our users have been reporting some strange behaviour with S2.34 that appear to be gone from the most recent testing builds.  You may want to first try clearing the cache, an option found in the mpd settings page found on dashboard.  If your still having issues try running one of the testbuilds, you can Always revert back to s2.34

http://support.bryston.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=248

Xinon

« Reply #1923 on: 20 Aug 2017, 08:37 am »
Hi Rich,

Some of our users have been reporting some strange behaviour with S2.34 that appear to be gone from the most recent testing builds.  You may want to first try clearing the cache, an option found in the mpd settings page found on dashboard.  If your still having issues try running one of the testbuilds, you can Always revert back to s2.34

http://support.bryston.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=248

Can you please give a little more detailed description on how to clean cashe, I cant seem to find this option on the dashboard.

MoPac

« Reply #1924 on: 20 Aug 2017, 05:02 pm »
Thanks Chris
 I did the Clear Cache thing.  Will have to see what happens after the next power outage.

Guess a battery in the BDP to allow auto shutdown on power outage is not cost effective or maybe there is not enough room in the BDP to fit a battery :dunno:

Thanks.  Rich

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1925 on: 20 Aug 2017, 05:21 pm »
Thanks Chris
 I did the Clear Cache thing.  Will have to see what happens after the next power outage.

Guess a battery in the BDP to allow auto shutdown on power outage is not cost effective or maybe there is not enough room in the BDP to fit a battery :dunno:

Thanks.  Rich

We thought about it, but there are only hand handful of conditions were the bdp is writing data to its internal storage, then the cost, no to mention batteries create additional safety concerns and yah space.  We thought it would be easier to simply use two partitions (introduced with manic moose) and have user specific things separated and have the ability the reset certain files (ie clear cache).

R. Daneel

« Reply #1926 on: 27 Aug 2017, 10:05 am »
Hi Chris!

Why is the "physical" interface on my BDP-2 slow? I sometimes use the front panel controls and the display to navigate through a USB flash drive that have been added recently.

For example, when I navigate to the folder and press PLAY and then try to skip to a next song by pressing >> it takes up to 10 seconds before the machine allows you to do that. For example, when the machine starts playing track #2 after track #1 has ended, it will still show track #1 on the display for 10 seconds or so. It is only when the display finally "catches up" and shows what is actually playing (track #2) that is allows you to skip to track #3.

Just naming the tracks as an example of course, it is the same with any track. The on-board controls and display have a significant lag.

All is perfect through the web interface but the same thing happens when I use the "virtual front panel".

I already reset the machine to factory settings and cleared the cache in MPD but it didn't seem to help.

Thanks!
Antun

davidtgoh

BDP-2 with 8TB drive? NAS option? Roon?
« Reply #1927 on: 25 Nov 2017, 07:26 pm »
I have music stored on the BDP-2 internal hd (downloads), and two 4TB Seagate USB drives (one for DSD, the other for cd rips).  For my classical listening, I want to add a combined drive that is sorted by composer then compositions - an instance would be to have all performances of Beethoven's 7th Symphony in one folder, no matter if downloaded 96/24, ripped DSD or ripped CD.  I figure I will need about 8TB of space.  1) Will the library size of the BPD-2 accommodate another 8TB of hard drive I info (I'd like to keep the existing drive also attached because they are sorted by performer)?  2) For those of you who use NAS, have you experienced less sound quality than from a USB attached HD?  NAS would be awesome because I could then backup to a cloud service like Backblaze. 3)Would Roon do all this "gathering together" for me?

Thanks!

David

ttsto

« Reply #1928 on: 26 Nov 2017, 11:07 am »
Using NAS for the last 4 years after fiddling with USB drives on my BDP1. I find the same sound quality but much better functionality, for example to copy files from PC to USB attached drives was slow, now it is very fast, plus back-up...

Krutsch

« Reply #1929 on: 26 Nov 2017, 05:18 pm »
Using NAS for the last 4 years after fiddling with USB drives on my BDP1. I find the same sound quality but much better functionality, for example to copy files from PC to USB attached drives was slow, now it is very fast, plus back-up...

Well, that depends on your USB flash drives. My Corsair GTX flash drives can sustain write speeds from my MacBook at 350+ MB/sec. I doubt your NAS drive is anywhere near that performance.

CDinsmore

« Reply #1930 on: 26 Nov 2017, 08:13 pm »
My media player is duplicating sections of my library for some reason. For example the drop down menu that allows you to go directly to a letter in the alphabet has 'G', 'M', 'S', and '6' listed after the letter Z. I put my unit in service mode and got a code 130 if that means anything. 

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1931 on: 27 Nov 2017, 05:31 pm »
My media player is duplicating sections of my library for some reason. For example the drop down menu that allows you to go directly to a letter in the alphabet has 'G', 'M', 'S', and '6' listed after the letter Z. I put my unit in service mode and got a code 130 if that means anything.

It appears MPD is breaking up a few of your folders and isn't immediately apparent as to why.  You may wish to select a different version of MPD in the meantime, this setting can be found in the MPD settings page found on the dashboard.

Chris

CDinsmore

« Reply #1932 on: 3 Dec 2017, 06:51 pm »
The issue seems to have resolved itself for the most part. I now only see one album out of place at the end of the alphabet. I think it may be due to an odd accent character included in the name of the band. 

gbaby

« Reply #1933 on: 15 Dec 2017, 03:45 pm »
I finally got an opportunity to listen to Tidal on my BDP-2. I compared the sound of a few albums with the same albums I own and imported as aiff files. In every instance of comparing the Tidal version with my own imported version on a USB drive, the USB drives were hands down better sounding and the differences were noticed immediately.  :o As a result, I do not understand all this infatuation with Tidal. Perhaps it is for those without a sufficient collection of CDs. For those like me who already own their music, Tidal is irrelevant and does not sound as good as your own imported music.  :nono:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1934 on: 15 Dec 2017, 04:03 pm »
I finally got an opportunity to listen to Tidal on my BDP-2. I compared the sound of a few albums with the same albums I own and imported as aiff files. In every instance of comparing the Tidal version with my own imported version on a USB drive, the USB drives were hands down better sounding and the differences were noticed immediately.  :o As a result, I do not understand all this infatuation with Tidal. Perhaps it is for those without a sufficient collection of CDs. For those like me who already own their music, Tidal is irrelevant and does not sound as good as your own imported music.  :nono:

Hi

I agree - I like Tidal for auditioning music but much prefer ripped CD's or downloaded digital files. 

By the way heard this on Tidal and bought the CD and Ripped it - great CD - KALEO (group) A/B (album) - especially tracks 'Way down we go' and 'Broken Bones'

james

gbaby

« Reply #1935 on: 15 Dec 2017, 04:44 pm »
James, thanks for confirming my hearing is still good and I'm not crazy. :D Also, thank you for the music recommendation.  8)

RandyH

« Reply #1936 on: 15 Dec 2017, 05:01 pm »
My experience with TIDAL is more varied.  Some Tidal cuts are indistinguishable from CD...some are not.  Same with MQA versions.  The differences in sound quality is more like the differences between CD players.  Not earth shattering but noticeable if you really want to spend the time comparing them.  In any case, pure sound quality is not for me the attraction of TIDAL.  Even though I also own a lot of music...I don't own it all.  For me, the discovery of new music is how TIDAL has transformed my listening experience.

gbaby

« Reply #1937 on: 15 Dec 2017, 07:46 pm »
In any case, pure sound quality is not for me the attraction of TIDAL.  Even though I also own a lot of music...I don't own it all.  For me, the discovery of new music is how TIDAL has transformed my listening experience.

Too bad Tidal is not the ultimate sonic experience. You can hear new music for free using the free radio stations on iTunes or Amazon Prime. Regardless, neither sound good enough to rely upon for serious listening which is why I prefer to buy my music on CDs. I am still buying CDs from Amazon and when I get them, I import them to my BDP-2 as aiff files and store them immediately. If you are using Tidal more for listening to new music, you can do the same with iTunes, free.

gbaby

« Reply #1938 on: 15 Dec 2017, 07:49 pm »
My experience with TIDAL is more varied.  Some Tidal cuts are indistinguishable from CD...some are not.  Same with MQA versions.  The differences in sound quality is more like the differences between CD players.  Not earth shattering but noticeable if you really want to spend the time comparing them.  In any case, pure sound quality is not for me the attraction of TIDAL.  Even though I also own a lot of music...I don't own it all.  For me, the discovery of new music is how TIDAL has transformed my listening experience.

I forgot to mention the host of free stations on the BDP-2 that one can listen to new music. I sometimes listen to Oasis 96.9 on the BDP-2 and it plays plenty of new music.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1939 on: 15 Dec 2017, 07:51 pm »
  I am still buying CDs from Amazon and when I get them, I import them to my BDP-2 as aiff files and store them immediately.

:thumb:

I rip to Flac then put it on my USB drive for BDP.   :thumb: