Which MPD version to use?

The Sandman

• The Admin Zone
Which MPD version to use?
« on: 27 Jun 2015, 11:56 pm »
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I've just received my BDP-2 back from it's Integrated Audio Device upgrade and I'm wondering what the recommendations are for choosing the MPD version to use.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Which MPD version to use?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2015, 12:25 am »
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I've just received my BDP-2 back from it's Integrated Audio Device upgrade and I'm wondering what the recommendations are for choosing the MPD version to use.

Hi Sandman

You can use either of the 3 - I use 19.

james

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2015, 08:43 am »
What's the difference between them (if any)?

Marius

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2015, 08:46 am »
quite a bit see: http://git.musicpd.org/cgit/master/mpd.git/plain/NEWS?h=v0.19.10

still wondering why the 19.9 version won't run on the BDP1.
Would be nice to know which improvements or changes are implemented/used by the BDP indeed.

Cheers,
Marius

What's the difference between them (if any)?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2015, 10:20 am »
quite a bit see: http://git.musicpd.org/cgit/master/mpd.git/plain/NEWS?h=v0.19.10

still wondering why the 19.9 version won't run on the BDP1.
Would be nice to know which improvements or changes are implemented/used by the BDP indeed.

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius

As I understand it the BDP-1 does not have enough memory for 19.

james

Marius

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2015, 02:49 pm »
Ok too bad, James, but thanks for clarifying.

the need for a BDP2 is growing.....

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius

As I understand it the BDP-1 does not have enough memory for 19.

james

MoPac

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2015, 02:54 pm »
Hi James:
 What are the differences between the 3 MPD versions?  Are you using 19 because of DSD?

Thanks, Rich

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2015, 02:56 pm »
Hi James:
 What are the differences between the 3 MPD versions?  Are you using 19 because of DSD?

Thanks, Rich

Hi Rich

Yes 19 will do DSD up to 128 (not that I have many of those !!!) .  Remember that the BDP-2 works with MPD (the music player) which is open source so as MPD software is developed more and more features can be added to the BDP.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jun 2015, 07:43 pm »
Hi Rich

Yes 19 will do DSD up to 128 (not that I have many of those !!!) .  Remember that the BDP-2 works with MPD (the music player) which is open source so as MPD software is developed more and more features can be added to the BDP.

james

Version 0.17 supports up to dsd64 and is the oldest available version
0.18 supports dsd128 and will run on both bdp 1 and 2 hardware
0.19 should support dsd512, but has yet to be tested and will only run on a bdp2

Marius

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jun 2015, 08:50 pm »
Version 0.17 supports up to dsd64 and is the oldest available version
0.18 supports dsd128 and will run on both bdp 1 and 2 hardware
0.19 should support dsd512, but has yet to be tested and will only run on a bdp2

apart from dsd, which other 019 changes did you implement  Chris? And, can't we add memory to the BDP1...?

Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #10 on: 28 Jun 2015, 11:30 pm »
apart from dsd, which other 019 changes did you implement  Chris? And, can't we add memory to the BDP1...?

Marius

I really didn't bother to enable to many of the new features as the firmware has already had a great deal of them implemented in our own fashion, mostly using the same projects.

The BDP-1 system board has the system memory integrated as part of the system board.  Although it's chipset will support an additional 768MB, you'd need some fancy soldering gear to pull it off.  BDP-2's ship with the maximum amount of system memory that it's chipset will support.

Marius

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jun 2015, 07:18 am »
Thanks,  Chris.

So apart form the DSD, there's no real MPD advantage using version 0.19 over 0.18?
Im not a very keen solderer, and i guess you wouldn't have a spare MB lying around with extra memory for testing purposes would you...Id be glad to you know, switched MB's before, i could resend it and change it for some extra memory.

Cheers! Marius

btw, do you also have a demo video on the Bot and Ripping music? The playing video was very instructive.

I really didn't bother to enable to many of the new features as the firmware has already had a great deal of them implemented in our own fashion, mostly using the same projects.

The BDP-1 system board has the system memory integrated as part of the system board.  Although it's chipset will support an additional 768MB, you'd need some fancy soldering gear to pull it off.  BDP-2's ship with the maximum amount of system memory that it's chipset will support.

hawkeye99

« Reply #12 on: 17 Feb 2017, 10:06 pm »
I have the BDP-1 and just upgraded to MPD 0.19.19. before I read this thread. Seems to be working fine. Is there any advantage to this version over the earlier versions with the BDP-1? Am I going to run into problems I wonder?
« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2017, 11:12 pm by hawkeye99 »

docder

« Reply #13 on: 21 Feb 2017, 09:00 pm »
I have S2.32 2017-02-13 installed and MPD 0.19.21 is selected on a BDP-1 and all has been running good for the past week or so.

hawkeye99

« Reply #14 on: 22 Feb 2017, 01:03 am »
I have S2.32 2017-02-13 installed and MPD 0.19.21 is selected on a BDP-1 and all has been running good for the past week or so.

Good to know. Thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 22 Feb 2017, 01:45 am »
I have the BDP-1 and just upgraded to MPD 0.19.19. before I read this thread. Seems to be working fine. Is there any advantage to this version over the earlier versions with the BDP-1? Am I going to run into problems I wonder?

Hi Hawkeye

Use the latest version of MPD as it usually has improved updates and features.

james