The dspMusik 6x8 digital crossover and HiRez DAC system

HAL

Re: The dspMusik 6x8 digital crossover and HiRez DAC system
« Reply #20 on: 23 Sep 2016, 02:42 am »
The RevD version of the dspMusik adds the capability to use the stereo minimum phase 24bit/192KHz ADC output over USB.  Recording and measuring programs can now access the system for use.  This also extends use to the Home Studio area as it is an ASIO compliant USB driver.

There are already ideas for a calibrated mic to use via the ADC input for speaker and room correction with analog inputs.   This is already possible with digital file replay when used in conjunction with the MS-3, Foobar2000 and Math Audio Room EQ which is preloaded on the system if you already have a Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB mic.  The idea is to provide a higher quality A/D with the analog measurement mic for improved response with other software tools available.

As always, please leave questions for discussion.

HAL

« Reply #21 on: 25 Sep 2016, 12:03 pm »
The demo with Avoosl's VMPS RM50 speakers using the full ADC to DAC and digital crossover capability went very well Friday. 

The latest dspMusik system does analog very well with his Halo JC-2 preamp as the balanced source drive from his analog sources. 

Using the USB and S/PDIF inputs yesterday with the Ono Audio Paka speaker system sounded excellent yesterday from both PC and MAC sources.  They have a full HAL MS-3 and dspMusik RevD system for use at RMAF2016 in demo room 9019 at the Marriott.   

The second HAL MS-3 and dspMusik RevD system will be used for other demos in CO.

Hope to see folks at the show.

THROWBACK

« Reply #22 on: 25 Sep 2016, 02:42 pm »
Sheesh! When do you sleep?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #23 on: 25 Sep 2016, 03:06 pm »
The HAL 9000 does not require sleep. 

HAL

« Reply #24 on: 25 Sep 2016, 03:29 pm »
Scott,

Excellent!

Best,
Rich

HAL

« Reply #25 on: 7 Nov 2016, 12:20 am »
The dspMusik RevD demo system has returned from RMAF2016 and west coast travel.

Have one demo coming up once the date gets finalized and then start others after that. 

HAL

« Reply #26 on: 9 Nov 2016, 07:40 pm »
Doing my first in home demo of the HAL MS-3 and dspMusik RevD tomorrow afternoon.  Same system that was at RMAF2016 in the Ono Audio room 9019. 

The demo is for someone already demoing a MS-3 and dspMusik RevC now in his system.  Should be an interesting listening session.

Also have plans set for anyone with a dspMusik RevC to upgrade them to RevD by swapping out units.  They will be fully updated and tested at Danville Signal before shipping to the customer.  Contact me for upgrade pricing.

HAL

« Reply #27 on: 10 Nov 2016, 10:52 pm »
The dspMusik RevD demo went very well today.  Dave has it in his setup in comparison to two other DAC's.  Sounded very good to me today on his library of music we listened to. 

As always, folks that hear dspMusik demos are welcome to post their comments in this thread. 

HAL

« Reply #28 on: 12 Nov 2016, 12:19 am »
Next demo will be at woodsyi's on Sunday afternoon with the RevD unit in comparison to his RevC.  This should be another fun afternoon of listening trials.

KLH007

« Reply #29 on: 12 Nov 2016, 05:04 pm »
Next demo will be at woodsyi's on Sunday afternoon with the RevD unit in comparison to his RevC.  This should be another fun afternoon of listening trials.

How long will Dave have the RevD? Where does Woodsyi live?

HAL

« Reply #30 on: 12 Nov 2016, 05:17 pm »
Dave has it until 27 November. 

He lives about 5 miles from Dave. 

HAL

« Reply #31 on: 14 Nov 2016, 01:56 am »
The dspMusik RevD is setup and running at woodsyi's in his system as both crossover and bass management system.

Looking forward to comments as they have time. 

HAL

« Reply #32 on: 2 Dec 2016, 06:56 pm »
The first dspMusik RevD system upgrade is being shipped today to replace a RevC system already in place at dpd's. 

He should have it early next week to compare the two units before shipping back the RevC system. 

He replaced a Benchmark DAC with the dspMusik RevC 2 years ago and never looked back.  Will be interesting to hear his feedback on the RevD with the new ADC system as well.

HAL

« Reply #33 on: 8 Dec 2016, 03:40 am »
The dspMusik RevD upgrade unit is at its new home and getting installed.

The demo HAL MS-3 and dspMusik RevD have returned.   Will be checking on its second trial trip shortly.

HAL

« Reply #34 on: 26 Feb 2017, 01:52 pm »
The second dspMusik RevD is now running Forest Dwellers ACA built LS-9 speakers.   He is replacing his RevC unit with the RevD unit that was at RMAF2016 and he heard in that system. 

The update this week was that he is a happy listener.  :)

tubesaab

« Reply #35 on: 25 Sep 2017, 10:46 am »
Hello HAL

Is there opamp on the output on the Dsp music ?

is there overall volume pot ?   (no need for a preamp)

what is the price

is there a diy version

best regards
Bjarne

HAL

« Reply #36 on: 25 Sep 2017, 12:34 pm »
Bjarne,
The dspMusik has opamps in the output filter stages.

The 8 channels of volume control are the DAC's internal digital volume controls with 0.5dB steps.  Those are controlled by either the front panel rotary encoder or IR remote control for all channels.

The prices is $2000.00 + shipping with digital crossover code for your application.

There is no DIY version as far as hardware.  The Audio Weaver software can be licensed from Danville Signal to program the unit if purchased to make changes to the application. 

Best regards,
Rich Hollis

tubesaab

« Reply #37 on: 25 Sep 2017, 12:47 pm »
hi HAL

hmmm  not so good with opamps on output,,do not like the sound of those

same problem in my Groundsound dsp...tried several opamp but can not find any with the sound i like

now i use a updated ordinary normal Danny filter,,,it works super

the reason i ask about the Hal dsp  is i am going to built 2 subwoofer with 2 Scanspeak 12 inch 30w  ...there it will be nice to use all digital...but without opamp

it is really a great dsp you have...but       

Best Bjarne

HAL

« Reply #38 on: 25 Sep 2017, 01:40 pm »
Since the dspMusik has DC coupled balanced outputs, it works extremely well for subs.  That is why I use it with my 6x12" OB H-Frame servo sub array and Rythmik HX800 servo amps that Danny helped me build.

Good luck with your quest.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #39 on: 7 Dec 2017, 05:49 pm »

Last night I had Scottdazzle over and we were checking out my updated digital front.  I got my micro Rendu hardware and firmware updated to 1.4 and got my EMM DAC2x updated to v2 which allows it to handle 2x DSD over DoP.  Anyway we are listening and felt the mid-bass lacking.  I was attributing the brightness to the newness of the updated electronics but it's been running for a week continuously.  So I went into my digital crossover setup via, Audio Weaver, and checked the output on my midbass woofers.  They were set -4db.  It's the setting Rich and I figured to be the best as the RM40 speakers have a tendency to boomy in the crossover region - 4th order 80hz highpass and 1st order 309hz lowpass in my case -- with the overlap from the ribbons with 1st order highpass at 309Hz.   We settled on +2db after overshooting and making it sound too dark.  At +2db the male vocals from The Band filled in and both Mark Knofler and Emmylou Harris from All the Roadrunning sounded just right.  Then we listen to vinyl to see if the bass is too much on analog source and the balance was still good at +2db.  So the change was not needed for just the digital end.  What happened?

I got to thinking why and then voila!  :idea:  I remembered that I just recently inserted this isolation transformer between the eAR 1001 monos and the midbass woofers.  I was getting a little ground loop hum from those woofers that I could not get rid of completely for a long time and this finally fixed it.  Apparently it also reduced the output gain by 6db.  :duh:  Add back the 6db gain and everything was good again.

It's one of the virtues of dspMusic to be able to adjust poles, slope and gain on each channel.  It absolutely came in handy.  At some point in my audio journey I will probably go to a simple solution, but I have to tell you I love the on-the-fly ability to adjust each driver on an active crossover system.  It does time delay on my rear subs to smooth out bass too.   dspMusic is really good with bass management. :thumb: