What next after a Pi3?

Lol999

What next after a Pi3?
« on: 18 Feb 2018, 12:18 pm »
I know some folks don't rate the Pi as a music server, but if we were to keep in the same methodology i.e. Linux based running Rune etc, small form factor etc is there a step up from the Pi and why would it be any better than what I already have which incorporates an Iqaudio dac?

Doublej

Re: What next after a Pi3?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2018, 02:09 pm »
Not exactly a linear progression but a next step up might be a Beocreate.

https://www.hifiberry.com/beocreate/

Wayne1

Re: What next after a Pi3?
« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2018, 02:56 pm »
For a server, that is a computer that has the main program, memory and holds music files, the intel NUC NUC7i7BNH with 4- 8 GB of memory and 64-128 GB of SSD would be hard to beat for under $700.

For a transport with coax out, The Allo DigiOne is considered very, very good.
Using their Sparky SBC with their USB Bridge could be the answer for USB output USBridge bundle

If you are looking for a transport with analog output, Allo offers the Boss V1.2 along with their Isolator which is a galvanic isolator.

In my and many other's minds, it is best to keep the server out of the listening room and run ethernet to a transport. The Allo Sparky and RPi work very well for this function with a few add ons.

I run ROON Server on a Windows machine in my basement and I use an Odroid C2 using DietPi software to send USB to my DAC. I do hope at one point to be able to change to a NUC running ROCK. The Odroid C2 does not have a lot of the problems associated with the RPi but there is very little software support.