Dude where are my speakers!! Diffraction Felt Tweeter Surrounds WOW !!!

jimdgoulding

Der Wood.  It's 3/8th of an inch thick and I think that the purpose of a waveguide is to help eliminate, at  least curtail, the spreading of sound waveforms.  In your case, my product may be redundant or have only a nominal effect.  Thank for your advice, really.  Happy listening.

jimdgoulding

Express to der Chair, with love
« Reply #41 on: 12 Oct 2007, 12:52 pm »
Goodness gracious.  I’ve covered all of this already.  I admitted to my fault.  My intention couldn’t possibly be interpreted by an objective mind as an attempt to censor.   You’re officiousness is transparent.  Nevertheless, I understand the information for those who need to know and it is my intention to abide.  You ever see that movie, my man, where at the end of the trial and tribulations of his protagonist, the director, Lindsey Anderson, smacks Malcolm McDowell in the face (Oh Lucky Man)?  We’re lucky to be alive, mate.  Relax.  You have my affection for what you extended to me and I admire your final gesture.  Likewise, I’m sure.

PS-  You know I don't make rings.  Give it up.
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2007, 07:35 pm by jimdgoulding »

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Der Wood.  It's 3/8th of an inch thick and I think that the purpose of a waveguide is to help eliminate, at  least curtail, the spreading of sound waveforms.  In your case, my product may be redundant or have only a nominal effect.  Thank for your advice, really.  Happy listening.

That's what I thought with the waveguide.  Thanks for the clarification.

By the way Jim, you have to disclose that you are now a purveyor of these felt diffractors on your signature.  It's so that everyone reading your posts will know that you stand to gain financially by selling these.  There is nothing wrong with commercial interest -- it just needs to be disclosed up front.  As an AC steering committee member representing the poor old regular members, I have to look out for the best interest of the hoi polloi. :wink:

Good luck.

jimdgoulding

Geez, Wood.  What does my signature as you see it say to you?  Appreciate the feedback.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
It says, "the output should equal the input," quoted from Jim Dunlavy.  You also have a picture of your gray felt diffractor.  Nothing tells me that you sell it.  What am I missing?

jimdgoulding

That's the avatar you're are referring to.  The signature line is at the bottom of the post, isn't that right?  You no see?  Please let me know.  Thanks.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
My bad.

I see it now.  Thanks.

brj

Ok, let me take another shot at explaining a central point about the "Critic's Circles", specifically addressing this quote:

You realize Chair, you dropped a competitor right into the mix.

To address that, let me point to the following verbage from the Critic's Circle Guidelines (which everyone went back and read prior to posting to this thread again, right? :wink:):

Comparisons against other components are inevitable and desired, but differences should be stated specifically and in the context of the reviewer's specific preferences and review environment (room/system/etc.).  We welcome comments from anyone on any review in the Critic's Circles, and this includes comments from the manufacturers, dealers or distributors of reviewed products.  All parties, however, should be respectful to all other AC members when commenting in these threads.

This is a circle for user reviews... the more products a user - any user - offers up for comparison, the better.  To recycle some points made in a PM conversation on the same topic, I'm thrilled when I learn of a product I was previously unaware of while reading a review of a product I'm already aware of.  I'm not really sure how you write a useful review without comparing against a reference of some kind, and the more similar products you compare against, the more chances the reader will have heard one of them and be able to really understand what the reviewer was trying to say.

For manufacturers that have a circle on AC, it is improper for another manufacturer to advertise in their circle.  It is also bad form for any user to recommend a competing product in a manufacturer's circle.  There is, however, a somewhat fine line between recommending a competing product and comparing against a competing product.  (And to be clear, that line is determined by the circle facilitator.)  That said, those guidelines apply to manufacturers circles... in the critic's circles, the more comparisons you make, the better!  We want to hear about other products, and everyone posting here should understand that.

A final point... please note the following line in the guidelines:

All parties, however, should be respectful to all other AC members when commenting in these threads.

Name-calling of any kind, no matter how mild one might perceive it to be, is not respectful of other AC members.  I would ask that all parties having posts hinting of this go back and please modify them accordingly.   Thank you!

jimdgoulding

bjr-  This is not meant to be facetious, really, but is "turkey" a bad word?  It's not meant as inflammatory, it's meant to rib tickle.  Just so you know, I think I'm clear on everything and thank you for the massaging.  jim

(a moment later)  but, it could be perceived as disrespectful so it's outta here. 

ooheadsoo

Woodsyi, actually, with your waveguide, I would think that the felt would indeed help.

TheChairGuy

bjr-  This is not meant to be facetious, really, but is "turkey" a bad word?  It's not meant as inflammatory, it's meant to rib tickle. 
(a moment later)  but, it could be perceived as disrespectful so it's outta here. 

As is the 'pig' comment in mine (now banished) :wink:  That was just ill-advised of me to write that, too, on top of everything else.

Regards, John  :thumb:

jimdgoulding

Not to worry.  Just a little male bonding is what it is.  jim   

brj

Quote from: jimdgoulding
This is not meant to be facetious, really, but is "turkey" a bad word?  It's not meant as inflammatory, it's meant to rib tickle.  Just so you know, I think I'm clear on everything and thank you for the massaging.

In and of itself?  No, "turkey" (or "pig", since John was apparently typing as I was!) isn't a "bad word", at least not in my book.  The catch is that it is all in how you say it, and the Internet is definitely an imperfect means of communication.  It's one thing if you know the person well, but otherwise, you have no idea how someone will interpret what you consider a "rib tickle".  No one is going to lose sleep over it, but why risk a negative perception on such an easily avoided source of ambiguity?

Quote from: jimdgoulding

Thank you!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013

Just some preliminary thoughts.....more to follow

More to follow

mike

Hi Mike, I hope all this distraction from your review won't hinder you from a more detailed followup after you've spent more time. I ask this mainly for myself as it's gonna be a couple of weeks or so before I get my 2 pairs of squares for my 4 Lorelei's and I need some comments for ya to feed the hunger.  :drool: Seriously, I'm not sure how much better the imaging could be on my Lorelei's but I'll be finding out and any further evaluations from you will only help me know what to be expecting. So please follow thru if you would.  :D

Cheers,
Robin
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2007, 01:12 am by satfrat »

MaxCast

You guys need to start drinking a bit earlier in the day and lighten up  :P
Maybe someone can go back and clean up the poop. :icon_lol:

jimdgoulding

Ancient history, Max.. Where you been.

brj

Heck, he may have been referring to me... in which case, he really isn't that far off, as I'm still at work while my 3 day pass to RMAF most likely still sits in my mailbox. :(   Hopefully tomorrow... in which case - everyone keep playing nice, because I won't be checking in!  :thumb:

MaxCast

I was speaking to the thread crap and off topic posts in this review thread.
I think that'd be fair to Mike and Jim.

brj, get to RMAF now!!  :D

jimdgoulding

Notes from an AC member/customer from Sept.
« Reply #58 on: 13 Oct 2007, 10:49 pm »
"Hello Jim:

Here are my comments.

With the felt tweeter surrounds, there is less smearing of the sound; in orchestral music, individual instruments can be heard distinctly rather than blending into an amalgam of sound. There is definitely more depth to the sound stage and more hall ambience as well. Rather than a sound stage laterally restricted about each speaker and the virtual center, the felt tweeter surrounds produce a soundstage width that is more uniform and panoramic. My preferred room curve using a 1/3 octave RTA/equalizer previously required a roll off of 1.5 db per octave between 4KHz and 10KHz to avoid a brittle treble. With the felt tweeter surrounds in place, I find the room and my ears tolerate a flat response in that frequency region. This relative frequency boost may also contribute further to the perceived improvement in the size and depth of the soundstage."

This customer uses floor standing towers crossing over to the tweeters at a higher point and, still, hears what he said above.  He asked that I not use his name if I wanted to post here.  I do and I did.  He is non conversant in spite of my efforts.  I would add that within that stage, instruments are rounder and radiate more dimensionally and space can be more tangibly appreciated.  Perhaps, this is more easily discerned in smaller works.  As to what the customer above was experiencing, I submit that this has to do with early reflection reinforcing high frequency info.  And that may be intended by this speaker designer, but, I expect, not by the recording engineer.
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2007, 04:53 am by jimdgoulding »

jimdgoulding

Notice:  If you are returning here to post your comments about using my product, please visit a new location in Industry Talk to be added very soon if not by the time you read this.  Thank you.  Jim