The "New" OXO and SUPERMAX OXO

John Casler

The "New" OXO and SUPERMAX OXO
« on: 27 Aug 2006, 09:24 pm »
By now most of you have heard that The Sonic Sorcerer from El Sobrante   has "cast a new sonic spell". :wink:

The Result is the OXO and SUPERMAX OXO

OXO is simply an Outboard Cross Over

The Designated SUPERMAX version is wired "in total" with Bolder Silver wiring through and through.

The OXO has two versions:

Version 1)   2 input = this version had two binding posts at the "input side" and allows for bi-wiring, bi-amping and of course single amping with jumpers.  Output side has 3 speaker cable pair for HF/MR/Woofers.

Version2) 3 input = this version had three binding posts at the "input side" and allows for bi-wiring, bi-amping, tri-wiring, tri-amping and of course single amping with jumpers. .  Output side has 3 speaker cable pairs for HF/MR/Woofers.

Each box also houses the L-Pads for easier adjustments.

The three output cables are fitted with "spades" to attach to the three binding posts, on a DIRECT DRIVE version of your favorite VMPS Speaker.

The SUPERMAX version of each option included fully run BOLDER Silver wiring from input of the OXO all the way to each driver

Pricing is as follows:

OXO (2 inputs/3 outputs) = $400

OXO (3 inputs/3 outputs) = $500

SUPERMAX OXO (2 inputs/3 outputs) = $1100

SUPERMAX OXO (3 inputs/3 outputs) = $1200

I believe B, is making this available on all models of main speakers, including 626R, LRC, RM2, RM30, RM40, RM/x.

« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2007, 05:33 pm by John Casler »

john1970

Re: The "New" OXO and SUPERMAX OXO
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2006, 11:43 pm »
John C,

Any chances we can get some pictures of these OXOs?  It might be interesting to see.  One other thing to point out is that the OXOs come in pairs (one for each speaker).  Initially I was under the impression that there was a single box with both xovers (although this did not make much sense).

OTL

« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2006, 11:57 pm »
Hey B!

You knew this was coming!

I'm thinkin' I'd like a 2 in/2 out OXO in Piano Black with Cardas posts on the input and Boulder cable out for a pair of RM30m's.   :D

gongos

« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2006, 12:13 am »
Can current owners get a sticky w/ detailed instructions & pictures on how to remove the crossover and reinstall the OXO?

Obviously w/ the pots and crossover external something has to change internally w/ the speaker.

Thanks.

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2006, 12:32 am »
John C,

Any chances we can get some pictures of these OXOs?  It might be interesting to see.  One other thing to point out is that the OXOs come in pairs (one for each speaker).  Initially I was under the impression that there was a single box with both xovers (although this did not make much sense).

Once the ROC get it in his system, maybe we can get him to send along a few photos.

Right now, his is the only pair in exisitance, although I think B, is making a pair for Jim (Ribbonspeaker)
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2006, 01:02 am by John Casler »

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 30 Aug 2006, 01:05 am »
Can current owners get a sticky w/ detailed instructions & pictures on how to remove the crossover and reinstall the OXO?

Obviously w/ the pots and crossover external something has to change internally w/ the speaker.

Thanks.

There has been a little discussion about that, and it is not an "easy" DIY upgrade.  I think B, hasn't fully made up his mind if it will be something to offer for "field upgrades".

gongos

« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2006, 01:20 am »

Thanks.

There has been a little discussion about that, and it is not an "easy" DIY upgrade.  I think B, hasn't fully made up his mind if it will be something to offer for "field upgrades".

I was talking about instructions for sending the crossover back to the factory.

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 30 Aug 2006, 01:28 am »

Thanks.

I was talking about instructions for sending the crossover back to the factory.

Actually it is not quite as simple as removing the internal XO sending it back and putting it in a box.

The internal speaker wire would have to be run (especially from the tweeter) to 3 binding posts which would need to be securely mounted and sealed on/in the cabinet.

Since I don't build speakers, I don't know how tricky that might be :dunno:

Maybe B will see this thread and pop in. Wink2

Roc

« Reply #8 on: 30 Aug 2006, 06:47 pm »

John C,

Once the ROC get it in his system, maybe we can get him to send along a few photos.

Right now, his is the only pair in exisitance, although I think B, is making a pair for Jim (Ribbonspeaker)

Big John,

Got the SuperMax RM-40's yesterday.

I'm still dialing them in, but even at this stage I can say they sound incredible!

Bass response is better than my large VMPS sub.  And way faster.

Brian used the phrase "sheer beauty" in one description of them.  He's right.

I'll take home the digital camera tonight and shoot some photo's.

Dave

P.S.  How do I post pictures on this site? 
I'm just a mechanical engineer.  I don't know these things.

john1970

« Reply #9 on: 30 Aug 2006, 10:52 pm »
Roc,

Can you please comment on your speakers setup?  What upgrades did you get?  Did you get CDWGs?

Thank you,

John

PLMONROE

« Reply #10 on: 30 Aug 2006, 11:12 pm »
Since the latest VMPS pricelist is dated May 2004 it is at best a bit ancient. Would a pair of RM-40s with the Brian Cheney Signature Edition upgrade, the Supermax OXO (3/3), and the CDWG  cost in the neighborhood of  9K with RM-30s of like ilk about $2,500 less?

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #11 on: 30 Aug 2006, 11:42 pm »
Supermax OXO RM 40's are $7800pr in your choice of finishes.

OXO adds $400pr to the price of the RM 40, Supermax OXO (outboard box and Bolder silver wire) would be around $1100pr.  ($700 for the full Bolder silver throughout)

I want to encourage people to get these options so I'm trying to keep them as low-priced as possible.

(PS John here, B, asked me to edit this, to make it agree with the price list and my original post to this thread)
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2006, 01:45 am by John Casler »

PLMONROE

« Reply #12 on: 31 Aug 2006, 01:10 am »
Is the CDWG included in the Supermax OXO for $7800 or is it extra?

John Casler

« Reply #13 on: 31 Aug 2006, 01:41 am »
Since the latest VMPS pricelist is dated May 2004 it is at best a bit ancient. Would a pair of RM-40s with the Brian Cheney Signature Edition upgrade, the Supermax OXO (3/3), and the CDWG  cost in the neighborhood of  9K with RM-30s of like ilk about $2,500 less?

The Price List here on AC is pretty much up to date, in fact I recently added the OXO and SUPERMAX pricing.

I have not gone in and "redone" the SUPERMAXXED OXO Brian Cheney Limited Edition, but Brian has "promised" to offer it at $7800 until Christmas.

John Casler

« Reply #14 on: 31 Aug 2006, 01:45 am »
Is the CDWG included in the Supermax OXO for $7800 or is it extra?

Hi Paul,

It is included when purchasing new speakers.

PLMONROE

« Reply #15 on: 31 Aug 2006, 03:27 am »
Sorry John, I misinterpreted the date the price thread was begun as the last time it was updated and did not look further. Thanks for the price clarification. What a deal! :thumb:

Roc

« Reply #16 on: 31 Aug 2006, 02:15 pm »

Roc,

Can you please comment on your speakers setup?  What upgrades did you get?  Did you get CDWGs?

Thank you,

John

John,

My RM-40's have every available upgrade offered by Brian including:
MLS cabinet with SR-71 damping, FST, TRT's, Bolder silver wire everywhere, CDWG, etc.

Details of the OXO can be found on page 3 of the "Series of fortunate events" thread.

I had to build the "black boxes" for the OXO's myself, since this was not a current offering.
The boxes offered from here forward will obviously be different looking, but similar I'm sure.

I have pictures of the OXO's & speakers, if I can figure out how to post them.

Dave Rocco
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2006, 05:09 pm by John Casler »

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #17 on: 31 Aug 2006, 02:19 pm »
Dave,

PM me and I will give you my e-mail address and you can send them to me and I can post them for you.

George

John Casler

« Reply #18 on: 31 Aug 2006, 05:11 pm »
Let's see if we can enlarge those:

John Casler

« Reply #19 on: 31 Aug 2006, 05:14 pm »
Dave,

PM me and I will give you my e-mail address and you can send them to me and I can post them for you.

George

Thanks George, they were already in my mailbox this morning.