Soffit Trap questions

sl_1800

Soffit Trap questions
« on: 17 Mar 2013, 03:00 pm »
The specs on the soffit trap indicate it to be 17" square and just short of 4 feet long.  In my room the 17" is a problem if I were to actually use them as a soffit piece.  I have 3 doors in my room and from the ceiling to the top of the door is only 15 3/4" and only 13" to the top of the door facing trim.  Is there any plans for a small unit?  If I were to DIY something that would fit how much performance would be lost by my reduced dimensions?

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Soffit Trap questions
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2013, 03:36 pm »
We can do the Soffit in custom sizes to fit your situation.  Of course when you make them smaller, you not only reduce surface area but also average and max thickness which impacts how low the treatments will go.  That said, something approx 13x15 is still going to go very low in frequency.  It would still outperform the Tri Trap for instance.

Bryan

sl_1800

« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2013, 04:24 pm »
Bryan,  thanks for your quick reply.  I will need to give you a call in a week or so and see what it would take to build custom sizes.

ricardojoa

« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2013, 11:07 pm »
Hi,
can the soffit trap be used to control hum noises caused by air condition from outside home?

Alex Reynolds

• Industry Participant
  • Bringing Your Sound to Life
    • GIK Acoustics
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2013, 07:07 am »
Hi Ricardo,
Acoustic treatments inside a room are used to improve the sound inside the room, but won't work to reduce noise coming out of the room or going into the room. You'd need to get better isolation for the room, which usually starts with making sure any of the windows and doors into the room are properly sealed. Otherwise you might need to look towards getting higher STC rated windows or doors, and eventually might lead to needing full on construction to achieve higher levels of isolation. Testing is usually required to figure out exactly what you would need and where, but this isn't my area of expertise.

ricardojoa

« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2013, 08:45 am »
Thanks Alex and the suggestions. So they would have absolutly zero effect? I mean, if the sound , for example high frequency is comming from outside, they will eventually get inside the room, and the room will have an effect on it. I know they wont block the sound, but would stilll obsord the sound somehow?

Alex Reynolds

• Industry Participant
  • Bringing Your Sound to Life
    • GIK Acoustics
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2013, 04:49 am »
High frequencies would be slightly affected. High frequencies have short wavelengths, so they typically don't "wrap" around large items as much as lower frequencies. However if high frequencies are getting into your room (which any considerable wall or window SHOULD block) I would look at sealing the sides of the window.
The room won't really have a considerable effect on sound transmission. Sound transmission through objects & material, like the flanking paths into the room is much different than sound transmission through air.
If you plugged the window, or covered it with traps, it would definitely have an effect. But having them not blocking the window would likely not do much.

ricardojoa

« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2013, 09:03 am »
Obrigado Alex. I will look into some window plug.