Royal Master vs. de Capo i

davejcb

« on: 28 Mar 2004, 10:20 pm »
Hi!

Just wondering if anyone had any impressions of the two, if anyone had a chance to compare? I haven't had a chance to listen to de Capos i, was wondering how much better the Royal Masters were?

Thanks!

mcrespo71

« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2004, 04:22 pm »
Hi Fi + just did a comparison between the MM De Capo I and the Royal Virtuoso.  I know it's not the Royal Master, but the Virtuoso is higher up in the product line.

Michael

sdk

« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2004, 01:27 am »
Quote from: mcrespo71
Hi Fi + just did a comparison between the MM De Capo I and the Royal Virtuoso.  I know it's not the Royal Master, but the Virtuoso is higher up in the product line.

Michael

So what conclusions did Hi Fi+ come to regarding the comparison?

davejcb

« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2004, 02:41 am »
Is their web site www.hifiplus.com? I'm trying to access but it times out here...

mcrespo71

« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2004, 02:46 pm »
Well, in a nutshell, the reviewer felt more emotional attachment to the MM De Capo I, but acknowledged that the virtuoso is the better speaker- more transparent, tuneful bass, etc.  However, he cautioned that you need to use excellent ancillaries on the Royal Virtuoso because it provides much more resolution than the De Capo I's.  

Michael

davejcb

« Reply #5 on: 30 Mar 2004, 06:48 pm »
Any chance you can scan the article? It's 1-3 weeks to get the back issue...  :cry:

sdk

« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2004, 12:14 am »
Quote from: davejcb
Any chance you can scan the article? It's 1-3 weeks to get the back issue...  :cry:

Yea, I'd love to read it too, especially since I own the Royals and yes, they are soooo revealing that you must choose your upstream components carefully.  I just ordered ordered the Art Audio Carissa SET.  Can't wait to hear those big 845s through the Royals. At 16 watts, I should be able to shake the walls in my small room. Can't wait!!

mcrespo71

« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2004, 12:53 am »
Well, I don't have a scanner, but I'd be happy to make a copy of the article for each of you and snail mail it to you.  Just PM me your addresses.  One interesting thing the reviewer noted was the Royal Virtuoso can be positioned closer to the wall because it's bass is much tighter due to the Corian (sp) cabinet which is more rigid.  In my small ass room, that's a deal breaker as I've got the De Capo I's 3 feet out in the room and would LOVE it if I could move them a foot and a half closer to the wall.  Needless to say, the Royal Virtuouso's sound like an excellent speaker according to Roy Gregory, who is fast becoming one of my favorite reviewers (being a Rega,Linn,Naim lover like me).

Michael

Stuartbranson

« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2004, 03:44 am »
The next issue of UHF magazine (no.70) is going to have a review of the Royal Virtuoso.   In comparison to the MM de Capo their preview in issue 69 says:
"...The tweeter is superior to the MM's.  The internal wiring and connectors are from Cardas.  Vibra-Pucks are used inside to keep everything silent."
"...We listened to some recordings once they (royal virtuoso) were broken in, and we can already tell you that the resemblance to the MM's is just that...a resemblance."

I'm guessing they like 'em, alot.

UHF and HiFi+ are the two best mags out there.

And sorry no scanner here either.

sdk

« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2004, 04:12 am »
I've heard both the MMs and the Royals. Needless to say, I bought the Royals. The difference is not subtle. The Royals use the SEAS millenium soft dome tweeter and to my ears, it is one of the most revealing high frequency transducers I have ever heard. It's so revealing that I've had to change much of my upstream gear to accommodate their revealing nature.  Top notch components are a must in my opinion or else you may not hear them for what they can do OR they will reveal the inadequacies of your upstream components. Perhaps both.  All in all, these are some of the best speakers I've owned and I've owned a lot of speakers. And the bass in my small room is to die for.

CharlesL

« Reply #10 on: 31 Mar 2004, 10:53 pm »
Quote from: sdk
I've heard both the MMs and the Royals. Needless to say, I bought the Royals. The difference is not subtle. The Royals use the SEAS millenium soft dome tweeter and to my ears, it is one of the most revealing high frequency transducers I have ever heard. It's so revealing that I've had to change much of my upstream gear to accommodate their revealing nature.  Top notch components are a must in my opinion or else you may not hear them for what they can do OR they will reveal the inadequacies of your upstream  ...

Would the De Capo-I improve in sound by just replacing its tweeter by the SEAS Millenium soft dome one? And are these SEAS tweeters available on-line somewhere?

sdk

« Reply #11 on: 1 Apr 2004, 01:29 am »
I personally don't think that's a good idea. The de capo i was voiced and balanced to sound the best it could at a certain price range. Everything - the tweeter, woofer, capacitor, cabinet and wiring were voiced around each other. Changing one component will change this balance. Sometimes an "upgrade" can be for the better, but sometimes it's not. I remember a friend of mine once tore apart his Vandersteens and upgraded the crossover and the tweeter. Guess what? They sounded worse. A lot worse.  

I think your time and money would be better spent on finding components that work synergistically with your stock de capos. And then when you want something better, sell them off. If they're unmodified, you'll get a better price. I would never buy somebody else's modded gear. Hope this helps.