Anyone using a SET amp with the de-capo i's

reddmadder

« on: 4 Mar 2004, 11:28 pm »
Just wondering if anyone is having some fun with a SET amp and these great speakers?[/b]

cyounkman

me an' my set
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2004, 11:37 pm »
I had some great experiences with the Song Audio SA 34-SB integrated, which is T but not SE. These experiences were predicated on listening levels limited to the 80 db range. I'm thinking of moving to a PP integrated (I can hear you all gasping)...

I know there are a few SET owners around here...

Paul L

« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2004, 12:04 am »
I personal demo with two ASL SET amp, namely the MGSI-15DT and the AQ1006DT with good result.  One of my customers is using the AQ1006DT with the De Capos.

Stuartbranson

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2004, 01:06 am »
I'm using a Mastersound/Vaic 300b SET integrated amp at 15w with 302b output tubes with great results. A bit of lightness in the bass, but being my only experience with an SET I can't be sure if its just the character of the amp or the interaction with the speakers.   Still, it seems that whatever I improve upstream, the de Capos just keep sounding better and better.   That glorious midrange is just that, glorious.

he46570

« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2004, 03:18 am »
I'm using a 2.5W SE 2A3 amp with great results...

reddmadder

« Reply #5 on: 5 Mar 2004, 05:15 pm »
Wow,2.5!What amp?

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
Re: Anyone using a SET amp with the de-capo i's
« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2004, 04:39 am »
Quote from: reddmadder
Just wondering if anyone is having some fun with a SET amp and these great speakers?[/b]

I used to have an Antique Sound Labs Ki-22 FOX SET integrated amp.  It used a pair of 6C33-B output tubes and produced 22 watts per channel with zero NFB.  It was a fantastic combo but I had to sell it as we were having our first baby.  

Bass was tight, mids were wonderful and there was plenty of high end resolution that my friend thought it sounded overly detailed. (I just think he wasn't used to hearing de capos with detail like mine.)

I would think 2.5watts would be fine for very close near field listening to soft music but nothing more.  The De Capos are rated at 92dB with 1watt/1meter but if you sit 3meters away or more that power will be gone very fast.

The 22 watts I had was sufficient in my rather smallish room but in the future I might try this amp out:
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?ampstube&1078972799&auc&3&4&

he46570

« Reply #7 on: 9 Mar 2004, 04:50 am »
I beg to differ... I think people don't realize how little power you need at decent listening levels.

Remember, 92dB/W/m means the speaker will reproduce 92dB with just a single watt from 1m away.  I don't know about you, but 92dB is fairly loud, certainly louder than I normally listen to.  And that's with just 1W.

My amp is a self-made SE 2A3, driven by a single ECC99 combination voltage gain/driver stage.  The single gain stage isn't actually enough to derive the full 2.5W from the 2A3, so it probably has less than 2W with a standard 2V line source.  In any case, I'm listening from about 3 metres with great sound.  If I were listening to movie tracks, I'd probaby want more gain (and more power), but for music I'm quite happy.

Robert

cyounkman

« Reply #8 on: 9 Mar 2004, 05:27 am »
Quote from: he46570
I beg to differ... I think people don't realize how little power you need at decent listening levels.

Remember, 92dB/W/m means the speaker will reproduce 92dB with just a single watt from 1m away.  I don't know about you, but 92dB is fairly loud, certainly louder than I normally listen to.  And that's with just 1W.

My amp is a self-made SE 2A3, driven by a single ECC99 combination voltage gain/driver stage.  The single gain stage isn't actually enough to derive the full 2.5W from the 2A3, so it probab ...

I've often wondered about this. What kind of music do you listen to? Everyone will roll their eyes if I mention the 4-watt Song Audio amp again... Anyway, I couldn't do with 4 watts in my room with my listening habits; I'm always interested to hear from those who can.

he46570

« Reply #9 on: 10 Mar 2004, 03:25 am »
I listen to a variety of music, from orchestral music, jazz (big band, swing, vocal) and a bit of country and pop.  No heavy metal or rap.  

Remember, power rating on amplifiers is for constant output.  A 2.5W tube amp can actually output far greater than its nominal rated power output primarily through output transformer inductance - peaks of over 100W output is possible from a properly wound transformer.  That mean 2.5W or other lower power amps are more capable than people realize... as long as the output transformers can cope!

reddmadder

« Reply #10 on: 10 Mar 2004, 05:22 pm »
You're not kidding,I just put in a Wright mono block 8 w/Wright 12la12a line stage...HOLY COW,I got tremendous volumme,bass and midrange detail.I was previously using a pair of Stromberg 22 mono's that were more than enough power for my 24x14x8 room.But these little 8 watt-15 watt max amps are incrediable. I had to lower the gain by -8db on the pre-amp!And it still rocked.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #11 on: 10 Mar 2004, 10:46 pm »
You had to lower the volume with the Wriight amps because of the sensitivity differences.  The Strommies have a fairly high (or low) value for a tube amp (close to 2V).

George

TIC

sure!
« Reply #12 on: 13 Mar 2004, 02:30 pm »
I've used my De Capos with a variety of amps with less tha 8 watts channel. I currently use 3.5 w/channel 2A3 amp (SET) and also have a 4 w/channel SEP amp that works well. I don't even use a pre-amp in this setup and still get volume levels than can get too loud!

CD w/volume control->2A3 mono-block amps->De Capos

Very simple and extremely satisfying. Excellent transparency. Disclaimer, medium sized room and I don't listen to much large scale classical music.

Enjoy,

TIC

reddmadder

« Reply #13 on: 13 Mar 2004, 04:29 pm »
What amps do you have? And do you find an unsatisfying lack of bass ?
      Thanks,Joe

TIC

Hey Joe.......
« Reply #14 on: 13 Mar 2004, 06:02 pm »
Joe,

I currently have a pair of Bottlehead Paramour 2A3 mono-blocks that I built when Doc was selling off some excess stock for $399 a couple of years ago. I built them up stock, but ultimately did a couple of mods including cap upgrade and tube replacement. I use either the stock Chinese 2A3s or Sovetek 2A3s which supposedly output 5 watts/ch vs. 3.5 for the stock tubes. Currently I'm using a pair of TJ FullMusic 300b/2.5v's with excellent results.

I also own a stock Cayin TA-30 Integrated which is usually 35 watt/channel in push-pull mode, but you can remove one tube per channel, rebias to SE operation and get a nice 4 watt/ch SE tube integrated. I bought the Cayin for $499 brand new and it is an incredible deal at that price. Apparently, they have now gone up to $599 stock or more.

I just sold a Dodd 8 watter which was also very good.

I do not notice a lack of bass with any of these amps. I own a very good subwoofer and choose not to use it for 2-channel listening with the De Capos. However, I am not a bass-head. But, I've owned other monitor speakers that did not produce enough bass for my taste. The De Capos produce plenty for me in my room.

Enjoy,

TIC

reddmadder

« Reply #15 on: 13 Mar 2004, 06:25 pm »
HI TIC,
        Thanks for the detailed response.I am currently running some Wright mono8's,in a 24x14x8 room.Plenty -0- bass. at 8 watts . But I've read alot of positive reviews on his 2a3 amp. He told me that they do have less bass but because I use the Mapleshade stands which are 10 inches off the floor I get great bass.So I'm thinking that maybe I could get the best of both worlds.Also I'm told the 2a3 tube will get you a cleaner midrange vs. the 300b which gives you both mid detail/extension and bass.Anyway just some ramblings...thanks again,Joe

davejcb

« Reply #16 on: 13 Mar 2004, 11:55 pm »
Anybody have any experience driving either Royal Masters or de Capos i with Decware amps?

I'm about to buy a pair of Royal Masters to match with a pair of SE84CS Decware Zen amps, wondering if anyone had a similar setup.

Thanks!

TIC

« Reply #17 on: 14 Mar 2004, 03:18 am »
Dave,

I have heard my De Capos driven by a Decware Zen Select and it was OK. Honestly, it is not the best match as the Zen really needs a bit more efficiency and it likes a 2 ohm load.

I have a couple of local friends that are huge Zen fans and I follow their progress over at the Decware Forum

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi

I've been to a local Zen fest and heard a lot of different speakers run by various Decware amps. The only EXCELLENT Zen based systems I've heard were using speakers built by Dave Dutill of Parker Audio

http://parkeraudio.net/

Both Dave and his friend Randy use Dave's custom built Behemoth speaker which uses a 10" Peerless woofer and a Heil tweeter. EXCELLENT speaker, but unfortunately the parts are no longer available to build them. However, Dave's inexpensive Parker 95 and Parker 98 Kit are excellent with the Zen, especially when you consider their price.

Personally, if I were set on buying a Decware Zen amp, I would buy a speaker built specifically for their unique design parameters. That would be the Parker Audios!!

If I were intent on buying De Capos, I would look for a dfferent amp.

Enjoy,

TIC

davejcb

« Reply #18 on: 14 Mar 2004, 03:21 am »
Argghhhh!!! Not what I wanted to hear :D Well, they're on the way so I guess we'll see how it turns out.

davejcb

« Reply #19 on: 14 Mar 2004, 03:22 am »
Actually... Was your friend using one Zen or two? Keep in mind I have a pair monoblocked...