DAC-9

rustydoglim

Re: DAC-9
« Reply #180 on: 2 Jan 2017, 10:08 pm »
DAC-9 will be good enough. Not that DAC-10 is not good for rock music.

JackD

« Reply #181 on: 2 Jan 2017, 11:00 pm »
The DAC-9 could be more forgiving for less than optimal recordings, but I do use my DAC-10 with any type of music and it has been fine for almost a year and a half.

Xyrium

« Reply #182 on: 5 Jan 2017, 03:02 am »
Hey guys, I'm building a small desktop rig and started by swapping my Parasound A23 for a STA-9. I just received it this week, so I'm withholding comparisons.

However, I am considering a DAC9 as well, but need to know if the XLR outputs are compromised when both XLR and SE outputs are used simultaneously. Meaning, if both are connected, do the XLRs revert to SE operation, or are each set of outputs buffered, so that they can be run simultaneously without compromise?

Thanks,
Paul

John Casler

« Reply #183 on: 5 Jan 2017, 03:08 am »
Hey guys, I'm building a small desktop rig and started by swapping my Parasound A23 for a STA-9. I just received it this week, so I'm withholding comparisons.

However, I am considering a DAC9 as well, but need to know if the XLR outputs are compromised when both XLR and SE outputs are used simultaneously. Meaning, if both are connected, do the XLRs revert to SE operation, or are each set of outputs buffered, so that they can be run simultaneously without compromise?

Thanks,
Paul

The outputs used simultaneously will show no issues, or performance reduction.  It is quite common to run your amps with the XLR outs, and the sub(s) with the RCA outs.

Xyrium

« Reply #184 on: 5 Jan 2017, 03:18 am »
Thanks John. I figured I'd ask since I'm lurking about today. You should be hearing from me within the hour!

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #185 on: 5 Jan 2017, 03:37 am »
...I'm building a small desktop rig and started by swapping my Parasound A23 for a STA-9. I just received it this week, so I'm withholding comparisons...
Hi Xyrium,

Really interested in your conclusions regarding this change! What made you go for the STA-9 over the A23?

I am always reading about equipment and looking for honest unbiased views on different equipments, which is really hard to achieve with reviews that have interests in the results of the reviews.  The A23 seems like a nice and balanced Amp, at a comparable price to the STA-9.

I dream of sometime soon changing my integrated DAC-Amp into two dedicated units, and this are interesting choices. So I am looking forward to picking your brain as to why you decided to go for the 9 over theA23 and your results!

Best regards,
Rafa.

Xyrium

« Reply #186 on: 2 Feb 2017, 03:10 pm »
Hi Rafa,

Sorry for the late reply!

The main impetus was to move everything to my desktop as I was forced to downsize in order to accommodate my 2yo son and his ever-growing needs. However, the STA9/DAC9 combo is definitely smoother. I'm sure everyone is calling that combo smooth. The A23 was slightly more analytical, and wouldn't hide harshness if the recording contained frequencies that were harsh to my ears. I'd consider the A23 rather flat in response, so when you feed it excellent material, it was astoundingly good. The A23 is all most ppl will need within a medium sized room IMHO. It's an excellent amplifier.

Regarding the DAC9/STA9 combo, it's drier, softer, and the soundstage is slightly narrow. However, I can listen to any genre and it doesn't offend, while at the same time, the timbre of instruments (big deal to me) is still quite good. I'm not sure which filter they chose when they implemented the 4490 in the DAC9, but it seems to be solid all around.

My main listening habits lean towards stuff like Dave Matthews, Sting, John Mayer, Alterbridge, SRV, Al DiMeola, Dream Theater, Joe Bonamassa, Dave Weckl, Tim McGraw, Second Nature, and some random Classical. So, anything from Metal to Country and a lot in between. My speakers are low end Dynaudio m10s, spaced about 4.5 feet wide and listening within somewhat of a triangle (I listen a little further back than they are wide). Room treatment is OC 703 (2" and 4") and Roxul RB 80 2". The room is about 8' deep, 8' high and 15' wide.

This is my lowest cost system by far, though it's still gratifying. I'm working on a custom 8" sub build with a MiniDSP ICEpower amp to reinforce 40-50Hz, but that's the extent of it.

I hope this helps!

Hi Xyrium,

Really interested in your conclusions regarding this change! What made you go for the STA-9 over the A23?

I am always reading about equipment and looking for honest unbiased views on different equipments, which is really hard to achieve with reviews that have interests in the results of the reviews.  The A23 seems like a nice and balanced Amp, at a comparable price to the STA-9.

I dream of sometime soon changing my integrated DAC-Amp into two dedicated units, and this are interesting choices. So I am looking forward to picking your brain as to why you decided to go for the 9 over theA23 and your results!

Best regards,
Rafa.

GreatDane

« Reply #187 on: 11 Mar 2017, 11:39 pm »

rustydoglim

« Reply #188 on: 14 Mar 2017, 06:16 pm »
Thanks, we need as much word of mouth as we can get. 

mvm

« Reply #189 on: 15 Jun 2017, 08:16 pm »
Thanks, we need as much word of mouth as we can get.

Hello, hello.

Quick question. Are there any plans for brining MQA on board of DAC-9?

Cheers,
M,

rustydoglim

« Reply #190 on: 6 Jul 2017, 07:53 pm »
MQA music can be decoded by DAC-9. The issue is whether the "decompression" should be done on your phone's app or in hardware.
I don't think it will make a difference. But implementing in hardware will ended up raising the price by a few hundred.  Perhaps even more if the demand is low.

mvm

« Reply #191 on: 14 Jul 2017, 08:42 pm »
MQA music can be decoded by DAC-9. The issue is whether the "decompression" should be done on your phone's app or in hardware.
I don't think it will make a difference. But implementing in hardware will ended up raising the price by a few hundred.  Perhaps even more if the demand is low.

Thanks for that.
In either case, I am loving my DAC-9.
Brilliant work.
Cheers,
M,

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #192 on: 18 Jul 2017, 04:55 am »
The DAC-9 could be more forgiving for less than optimal recordings, but I do use my DAC-10 with any type of music and it has been fine for almost a year and a half.

Exactly DAC-9 is very gentle with not so good recordings but when one wnats the purest audio possible, as it is the DAC-10, it is my reference.

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #193 on: 18 Jul 2017, 05:25 am »
My loved pair !

GreatDane

« Reply #194 on: 18 Jul 2017, 12:52 pm »
I'm still impressed with my DAC-9.

That being said, I'd love to hear the DAC-10.

Roman Kozak

« Reply #195 on: 29 Nov 2017, 08:04 am »
Здравствуйте ! Подскажите, имею dac-9
могу ли я в домашних условиях уменьшить напряжение на выходе rca с 4v до 2v?
Спасибо.

Roman Kozak

« Reply #196 on: 29 Nov 2017, 12:49 pm »
Hi Justin
One more question with the DAC-9 is there a way to by pass the PREAMP section of the Dac-9 to use it as DAC only?
Not use the volume control of the DAC-9?

richidoo

« Reply #197 on: 29 Nov 2017, 01:06 pm »
Здравствуйте ! Подскажите, имею dac-9
могу ли я в домашних условиях уменьшить напряжение на выходе rca с 4v до 2v?
Спасибо.

English, please? :)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #198 on: 29 Nov 2017, 04:12 pm »
English, please? :)

Hello ! Tell me, I have dac-9
Can I at home reduce the output voltage rca from 4v to 2v?
Thank you.  :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #199 on: 29 Nov 2017, 04:16 pm »
I'm still impressed with my DAC-9.

That being said, I'd love to hear the DAC-10.

And I’m still impressed with the DAC-10, but I’d love to hear a DAC-9.  :lol: