Lifetime of a cartridge

mzbrahce

Lifetime of a cartridge
« on: 3 Aug 2016, 01:09 pm »
I'll probably ask this on the Vinyl circle also, but since it is one of Frank's I thought I would start here.  I have a first generation Grado longhorn, purchased from Frank in the mid 80's.  It has not been used for 25 years.  Aside from any stylus wear issues, is the cartridge likely to function correctly, up to specs?  Should it be or could it be "reconditioned"? Or is it trash?
------------------Mark

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
Re: Lifetime of a cartridge
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2016, 01:30 pm »
Hard to say.  The suspension on the stylus often gets stiff and/or brittle over long periods of
not being used.
Hibuck....

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2016, 02:21 pm »
If there is an issue, and you really should play it to know for sure, the stylus is easily replaceable and at a modest cost. You would then in effect, have a brand new cartridge.

Wayner

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 4 Aug 2016, 11:41 am »
Definitely not trash! I had one; great cart. AVA mods the stylus too IIRC (right, Wayner?), so get a replacement from him I suppose.

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2016, 11:50 am »
Yes, stylus gets treated. Gold and green stylus are in stock.

Wayner

mzbrahce

« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2016, 02:28 pm »
Thanks for the responses!  Time for a new stylus.  It will be used with a Technics SL 1300, a Craig's list find for $60.

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 5 Aug 2016, 12:17 am »
Yes, stylus gets treated. Gold and green stylus are in stock.

Wayner

According to the AVA page, the 'upscale' version uses a "more sophisticated" stylus assembly. Can you explain what is different exactly and do the styli interchange?