Revelator Speaker Kit

LadyDog

Re: Revelator Speaker Kit
« Reply #20 on: 3 May 2007, 02:17 pm »
Trafford,
As you have already seen, everybody is their own movie critic when it comes to this stuff. 

Certainly is a good idea to go and listen to as many speakers as you can, but please keep in mind that much of it is room and system dependent.  So while speaker "A" may sound good at one store or a person's house, it may not sound as good at another's place with their gear.

Not to discourage you from a kit, but there are actually some pretty decent speakers on the "used" market.  Shouldn't have a problem picking up something in your budget from Tyler Acoustics, Pro-Ac, Usher, Dynaudio, Totem, Silverline, or Aci, just to name a few.

Btw, where are you located?  May help with seeing who is close to you with what gear.   

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #21 on: 3 May 2007, 02:27 pm »
Also remember that you have a relatively large room to try to fill in terms of bottom end performance with most monitors.

Bryan

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #22 on: 3 May 2007, 03:32 pm »
DSK, I guess of the drivers I mentioned, and aside from some of the newer Usher woofers, I'd prefer the paper cone Scan Speak units. I think if the crossover point is low enough they are not too bad. That is a lot of cone mass to be throwing around. By my comparisons to other woofers the upper end resolution just wasn't quite as good.

The real disappointing thing was that when I finished up this design...

I A/Bed it next to a pair of our A/V-2's. Granted the A/V-2 had better caps in it and was well burned in, but the comparison was way too close. Differences were marginal at best. Considering the cost differences in the drivers it was embarrassing.

The cost was a major put off. $200 plus per woofer? Give me a break. They don't cost that much to build.

I can have a sample of one just like it here in about 10 days if I was interested in it. I can have it made anyway I want it, with pretty much any motor structure design, and the same cone from the same vender. I can get it for about 1/10 of the price too.

Trafford, There is a pretty serious version of the X-LS coming out in a few months. It is the X-LS EX version. It will be a really serious mini-monitor, look nice, and cost $299 a pair plus shipping. This has a really good tweeter in it too. Easily as good as a Scan Speak 9500 or Usher 9950. Add a cap upgrade to it and a sheet of No Rez, and I'd put it up against any mini monitor out there. It would be a good one to consider. Yes I designed it, but I have designed a lot of speakers, and this one really is that good.

With the money saved you could add a small sub too.

What experience do you have with the PHL drivers?

I used to be a dealer for them and have worked with most of the 6.5" models, 8 ohms and 16 ohms. They are pretty nice overall. I wouldn't pick them over our M-165X though, especially considering the price.

Trafford

« Reply #23 on: 3 May 2007, 04:01 pm »
Danny will the X-LS EX have the M-165x woofer? Are there upgrade kits from AV123 or do I have to buy individual components? The price sure is attractive. Did you design any of their other speakers (Rockets or Reference)? That would give me a little idea of how your designs may sound.

How do the X-LS EX's compare to the X-Pro and the SWG that I see mentioned on their boards? I think those are more expensive but I couldn't tell what the relative quality would be, not to mention the sound differences.

I love the finish on my 550's and more importantly, the boss loves it. Putting this two channel set-up in one of her favorite rooms means that the cabinet must look really good. As a first-timer in speaker building, I am very nervous about how good of a job I can do on the box. If I can get one of those X speakers at a reasonable price in a finish she likes, that might solve all of my issues. I can then take my time and choose a kit to play with that I don't have to worry about appearance issues.

Wow, I think I'm confusing myself but it sure is fun. This is a great time to be in this audio hobby.

I really do appreciate all of the information and the suggestions.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #24 on: 3 May 2007, 05:38 pm »
Danny will the X-LS EX have the M-165x woofer?

It is not supposed to. The prototype did not use this woofer. Unless something changes it will use the standard X-LS woofer.

Are there upgrade kits from AV123 or do I have to buy individual components?

Upgrades thus far have been offer from Sean at www.skiingninja.com

The price sure is attractive. Did you design any of their other speakers (Rockets or Reference)?

I designed all of the X series products from the drivers to completion.

I designed networks, and box design for the RS450 and RS760 models.

I designed an upgrade for the RS850, RS1000, RSC200. These are now the standard networks offered through AV123.

I designed an upgrade for the RS550 and RS750 that is offered through the Skiing Ninja.

I also designed the crossover and driver layout of the Strata Mini.

Then of coarse my LS-6 and LS-9 line source kits are going to be offered through AV123 fully assembled.

How do the X-LS EX's compare to the X-Pro and the SWG that I see mentioned on their boards?

I'll have to let you know more on those once they have been completed.

If I can get one of those X speakers at a reasonable price in a finish she likes, that might solve all of my issues.

If you can get her to go for a set of floor standing speakers then the new X-Statik will be the bomb. New EX version tweeter, dual 16 ohm woofers in an open baffle, plus another pair of woofers right below to handle 200Hz and down...  Well within your budget too. 

Trafford

« Reply #25 on: 3 May 2007, 08:28 pm »
Wow Danny those speakers look awesome but I don't think I can afford the jewelry it would take to bribe the boss to let those in the livingroom. She has carefully selected every piece of furniture in there and I don't think she would pick speakers with that large of a footprint. She liked the "wooden speakers on the black metal stands" but wasn't real keen on the 550's when I moved them into the livingroom. The rosewood clashed with her oak furniture. I may still give it a shot, you just never know what might strike her fancy. If I can get a good monitor I can supplement it with the Velodyne F1200 assuming I can sneak that past the boss or hide it behind a chair or end table.

I never realized you had input on so many AV123 products. Of course I never knew who the design people were. Is Sean at Skiing Ninja the same Sean form AV123?

Ladydog, I am located in southwestern PA in the town of Trafford. I appreciate the comments about the impact of the other equipment and the room parameters.

About 20 years ago I heard a friend's Ohm Walsh 4's with his Carver receiver and was blown away compared to my Cerwin Vega D-9's and my Technics receiver. I have always wanted a nice two channel set-up that can inspire me the same way. I thought building a pair of speakers may or may not inspire me with sound but it would at least inspire me with pride. But that "appearance and price" thing keeps sneaking into the equation and the memory is probably better than the reality.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #26 on: 3 May 2007, 08:37 pm »
I never realized you had input on so many AV123 products.

I am currently designing product for several other companies as well.

Is Sean at Skiing Ninja the same Sean form AV123?

Yes.