Arcam AV9, Bryston SP2 or Lexicon MC8?

Hoiman

Arcam AV9, Bryston SP2 or Lexicon MC8?
« on: 2 May 2007, 03:03 pm »
Can someone help me with my choose?

What are the advantage and disadvantage of the above processors?

DTB300

Re: Arcam AV9, Bryston SP2 or Lexicon MC8?
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2007, 03:30 pm »
Each of these have their own sound signature, so you really sound listen to them.  After that it is just a feature set decision.

Hoiman

« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2007, 04:49 pm »
After that it is just a feature set decision.

Is it?

Someone told me that the stereo mode from Bryston, is much better then with the Arcam, but Arcam is much better in surround mode.

So there must be difference in this 3 processors. I don't know a shop that has all 3 of them where I can listen to these processors, that 's why I ask you HT freaks  :icon_lol:

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2007, 06:30 pm »
I have an SP 1.7 which I have not as yet upgraded to the SP2.  The 2-channel analog bypass is the same in the SP 1.7 as the SP2, the SP2 has new digital boards with more processing power.  I have not heard the SP2.  I've not heard the Arcam at all and heard the Lexicon briefly. The Lexicon has more surround versatility in DSP modes vs. the Bryston but was jusk OK for 2-channel music.  I heard the Lexicon next to a Rotel and while the Rotel did not set the world on fire for me with regards to 2-channel, I'm not sure that the Lexicon was any better.  The 2-channel bypass mode of the Bryston shines when you have a great player (e.g. CD) with a great analog output stages.  So if you are going to do a HT with an avg. player designed for DVD playback, it might be a waste for the capabilities of the Bryston.  The Bryston also has great analog pass thru on the multi-channel analog input for SACD or DVD-A.  It however, is also just and analog pass-thru with no level controls like some other things have.  So if you have a great player with level controls and bass management that is good for your set-up and that is a priority for your needs it might be a good choice.  Keep in mind the Bryston has no video outputs either.  You set it up via the small LCD screen on the front (or you can buy an outboard device).  It is done for purity of the signal but may not fit everyone's needs.

DTB300

« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2007, 08:17 pm »
Is it?
Yep.  When you get to hear each of them and determine which sound you like the best, you then look at the features and abilities of each and see if you can live with it.

Someone told me that the stereo mode from Bryston, is much better then with the Arcam, but Arcam is much better in surround mode.

And this is the main problem asking people which one to buy.  You will find some like the Arcam better, and some like the Lexicon, and some like the Bryston, and on and on and on.   While it may be the best solution to hear them all in the same place with all the same equipment, we all know that is not possible.  So you listen to each, make notes about each, try to get home auditions of each (if not leave the store and go somewhere else), and make your best choice from there.

So there must be difference in this 3 processors. I don't know a shop that has all 3 of them where I can listen to these processors, that 's why I ask you HT freaks  :icon_lol:

So you are looking to spend some significant cash on a unit that others would recommend, not knowing what their listening preferences for sound is?  You can get what most people *may* like the best, but again it will go into your setup (synergy issues) and your room (acoustic issues) which can affect the sound of the unit.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2007, 09:03 pm »
Great advice above - there is no substitute for your own ears and preferences.  Would you spend money on a car or any other big purchase based on someone else's taste and preferences?

Hoiman

« Reply #6 on: 3 May 2007, 06:01 am »
Great advice above - there is no substitute for your own ears and preferences.

I agree, but if 10 people tell me that the stereo from a Bryston is better then from a Arcam or Lexicon then I know enough. I think that this kind of hearing is noticible by everyone. Same for surround. If 10 people listen to this processors and one of them is really better then the other ones then you get the same result if you ask which one is better in surround.

If I don't get this answer then I have a problem, because they probilly will all sound the same.

I have heard the Bryston. I was overwellemd by the sound so I have one reference point.

I'm from The Netherlands (europe) and this country is so small that I have tried to listen to an Arcam AV9, but nobody has this one in store, and I don't want to go to another country. I also don't have the time to drive a few ours.

BTW I think I have a good DVD/CD player, it's an Arcam DV139.

Hififreak

• www.brystonheritage.com
    • www.hififreaks.nl
« Reply #7 on: 3 May 2007, 07:22 am »
Send Audiac a mail and ask for a demo: http://www.audiac.nl

DTB300

« Reply #8 on: 3 May 2007, 12:21 pm »
Then with your philosophy of if "X" number of people think something is good, then you will buy it without hearing or seeing it, here is a partial list of "6" people/companies who thought the Arcam AV9 was one of the best:

AV Controller of the Year  •  The Perfect Vision (Nov/Dec 2003)
Best AV Processor  •   Hi-Fi News (Annual Industry Awards, Jan 2004)
Multichannel Product of the Year  •   Hi-Fi Choice (Jan 2004)
Processor of the Year  •  Home Cinema (May 2003)
Finalist, TechTV’s Best of CES  •  Consumer Electronics Show, Las Vegas

Arcam AV9 Surround Processor – The Perfect Vision :Here’s what Robert Harley had to say about the AV9 in the July/August 2006 issue of The Perfect Vision. "Although it may seem odd to call a $5749 controller a bargain, there's no other way to describe a product that comes close to delivering state-of-the-art performance at a fraction of the price of competing units. In fact, I would feel comfortable recommending the AV9 for even the most demanding high-end music and home theater systems."

So with your theory, just buy the Arcam.

Hoiman

« Reply #9 on: 3 May 2007, 12:50 pm »

This must be the AV8  :thumb:

But I know that last review, and I already heard the Bryston. I'm going to listen to the Arcam but it'snt "just call Audiac" because they won't help you that easy.

DTB300

« Reply #10 on: 3 May 2007, 01:17 pm »

This must be the AV8  :thumb:

But I know that last review, and I already heard the Bryston. I'm going to listen to the Arcam but it'snt "just call Audiac" because they won't help you that easy.

For both...so buy the newer version AV9.  You can even get them fairly cheap used.