Upgrade tubes for new Musical Paradise MP-301 MK2

milford3

Upgrade tubes for new Musical Paradise MP-301 MK2
« on: 30 Mar 2011, 05:46 pm »
Just ordered the new MP-301 MK-2.  They have stock 6L6 (6P3P) x2, and 6J8P x2 tubes.
This is my first tubed headphone amp.  I'm inquiring about what would be the best tube upgrade?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Upgrade tubes for new Musical Paradise MP-301 MK2
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2011, 05:56 pm »
Hey--Congrats, someday I hope to have version 2, maybe when I win the lottery..I own the first version which takes the same 6L6 tubes and got some recommendations from the folks here and bought: TUNG SOL 6V6GT , matched pair from the tube store for like 35ish shipped:
http://thetubestore.com/

There are also other sources, but these are excellent all around tubes, its hard to explain the differences but its definitely much better then the stock tubes mine came with. big bang for the buck!!!

Enjoy--Let us know how you like the amp..I'm jealous :thumb:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2011, 06:24 pm »
Congrats on the new amp, but yo do understand this is a amp first, 6 watts and a headphone amp second about 1 watt as far as I have learned from the site person.

Not saying that its not good or a bad thing...just want you to know that this is not a 6 watt amp for headphones, kind of like the new Schiit Lyr which is indeed 6 watts.

I am looking at the MP 301 as well, even though it does not have 6 watts to the headphones etc..

For that part most headphones if cranked open on a 6 watt amp will self destruct!!

All the best,

Let us know when you get it and how it sounds!

All the best
Alex
 :D

Raver

« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2011, 03:54 pm »
I got a big improvement in mine with used RCA 6SJ7 and nos russian 6P3S-E.