Phono 1 feedback

eibhlin

Re: Phono 1 feedback
« Reply #20 on: 1 Aug 2009, 02:16 pm »

It really is quite small.  Think cigarette pack with RCA connectors.

Those with thick and bulky i/c's beware.  Phono stage whiplash will result!

:lol:
Boris,
I want one!
Using a ClearAudio Aurum Beta S.
Can you tailtor my pre for that cart?

mike
I'm considering purchase of an ACLE unit, and want to thank the above posters for their respective questions, saved me the trouble of asking.

I use a Denon DL 103R (pretty low output), so a potential MC gain issue has my attention. I'm wondering if Boris can chime in on this. Boris, I note you mention in another post that the unit can be "modified to fit just about any cartridge based on manufacturer's specifications"; thus, I hope the Denon line of carts fits that matrix.

I'm also soliciting opinions regarding PCs and ICs (I have a pair of Gronebergs I'd contemplate using) that might mate well without breaking the budget - we're still in recession mentality here.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #21 on: 1 Aug 2009, 03:06 pm »
There was no gain issue with me.  I just had the output gain on my MBL preamp down and did not realize it.  Once I had the output control back up again, it was fine with a LOMC Ruby 3.  I had about 80 dB output with volume control at noon (50%).  As toobluvr stated, your overall set up will determine what you get but you shouldn't have any issue if you are doing fine in terms of gain with other sources right now.

Audiovista

« Reply #22 on: 1 Aug 2009, 06:14 pm »
First I want to thank woodsyi, ecramer and toobluvr, my beta reviewers who followed up on their reviews by purchasing the preamp. Thank you very, very much for your support!!!!

As for the MC gain, as I said, the gain and loading can be tailored to a particular cartridge. Denon DL-103R has suggested loading of about 30 ohms. Not a problem - standard loading of the phono preamp is 47 ohm (which is probably good for this cart as well), but 30 ohms is easily done. As for the gain, the standard gain should be sufficient but, if it's not, I can always increase it. The preamp is small, shipping costs are low and I will do the mod free of charge.

Mike/topround has bought the AudioLimits interconnects with the preamp - the cable is perfect for cart-to-preamp application, but Mike has hard wired cables and he's using AudioLimits as regular interconnects. Nothing wrong with that, any connection will benefit from their low capacitance. Perhaps he'll share his impressions if he sees this....

toobluvr

« Reply #23 on: 1 Aug 2009, 06:58 pm »
First I want to thank woodsyi, ecramer and toobluvr, my beta reviewers who followed up on their reviews by purchasing the preamp. Thank you very, very much for your support!!!!

Testimony to an excellent product, tremendous value and exemplary customer support, Boris!

:thumb:

I've auditioned much gear over the years and the only ones I have purchased are the Vista phono and Vista i-34 integrated, and my JuicyMusic Blueberry Xtreme preamp.  Batting 1.0000 Boris!    :lol:

richidoo

« Reply #24 on: 3 Aug 2009, 11:21 pm »
I finally got my greasy paws on my ACLE, only 5 days after I signed the signature form left on my door. When it didn't show up in the mail again today, I asked the mailman WTF? So he offered to make a special trip to the PO to pick it up and brought it to my house for me tonight.  Just when you think the world has gone to shit, someone does something very nice. Big thanks to Bob, my Cary, NC mailman.   :thumb: 

So far so good after only 2 tracks of an OLD VeeJay bebop record. Clean and musical, great prat. No hum. I'll run some better LPs through it tonight. Glad to have records playing again, it's been a long time since they sounded like this. Thanks Boris!

richidoo

« Reply #25 on: 7 Aug 2009, 11:49 pm »
A couple days later and about a dozen records through it, what a great sound. It just sounds natural, like it's supposed to sound. Complex tones like harmon muted trumpet are unravelled perfectly. Dynamics are pretty good (for LP). No obvious departures from flat EQ that I can tell from my oldish jazz collection which has some wild EQ mistakes here and there. Bass is huge and impactful, treble is sweet and extended, you know samo BS descriptions.....  It boils down to being a true high end phono preamp for $300. That's awesome!  I'll have a chance to compare it to some nice tube preamps in the next months. I think it will hold up very well. I'm itching to crack it open to look for upgrade opportunities that every other $300 component has in abundance. But I am too busy listening, I don't want to take it out of commission. What a great little product. There is a touch of feedback feeling which can only be reduced further by going to tubes, and I don't mean Bellari at similar price which is not high end component. I mean a $2k+ real tube phono pre, that's where this little guy plays, and probably more like $4k when you get the tone and bass as good as this. But it is incredibly open and honest sound for opamps. The feedback gives a cozy and matter of fact confident feeling that lets you trust the tonality, but it's not at all stuffy which is tricky to avoid with opamps. Boris you have a good ear.

toobluvr

« Reply #26 on: 8 Aug 2009, 12:05 am »
Regarding the above post....
I can say that the Vista phono acquits itself very well against the two tubed phono sections that I own and love:  JuicyMusic BlueBerry Xtreme and AirTight ATC-1. 

They are both full function preamps, and despite the Vista being handicapped by extra connections and an extra i/c, it holds its own quite well.  If it did not, I would not have bought it!  It is a marvel at its price.  I wish all audio gear packed this much value.

Tagman

« Reply #27 on: 28 Aug 2009, 01:06 pm »
Boris,

I am a fairly new member to Audiocircle. I just wanted to send you a little message about your phono-1 preamp MM. My very good friend Mike (TOPROUND)just recently let me borrow his phono-1 which is still in my system at this time.Well, I have to tell you that I was blown away with the performance of this little gem!!  Wynton Marsalis, and Dexter Gordon were transported into my living room!!  The soundstage, the warm 3 dimensional presence, and the dynamics overwhelmed me to the point of disbelief.

I know there are many here that own very expensive hi end phono preamps, but I find it hard to believe that you could get better performance than this without spending thousands!!!!  I have owned tube amps, and I am currently using a tube preamp with a SS amp. I know the "tube sound", and the phono-1 has the sound characteristics of tube components. Wow! I want to hear what you can do with other SS designs. Kudos to you, and Mike topround is not getting this thing back LOL.

Regards
  Thomas S.

Audiovista

« Reply #28 on: 28 Aug 2009, 09:06 pm »
Guys - thanks for the high praises!!  Thanks to Mike too for sharing his unit. You guys are awesome!!!  :thumb:

Greetings from sunny Serbia :beer:

I'll be back soon...

topround

« Reply #29 on: 2 Sep 2009, 09:43 am »
All I can say is if you guys were at my house last night and heard what this pre can do, you would have ordered one on the spot.!!
Best bang for the analogue buck!! Without a doubt.
I had a Graham Slee Gold Era V and Boris's pre smoked it completly.

Mike

toobluvr

« Reply #30 on: 2 Sep 2009, 01:10 pm »
All I can say is if you guys were at my house last night and heard what this pre can do, you would have ordered one on the spot.!!

Mike

Hate to say it Mike, but I told ya so!!

8)

Boris' phono preamp smokes lots of phono stages......
even those much costlier than the Graham Slee!

Tagman

« Reply #31 on: 28 Sep 2009, 10:37 pm »
Boris, Just wanted to tell you how impressed I am with the phono 1. Ever
since I took delivery last week my cd player has been off. This product is fantastic!!  If you can make me a DAC that sounds as good as the phono 1
then I will be the first on line.

Listen up people! This product is wonderful, and a steal at the price. Just
buy it. Boris is a good person to deal with. Thanks Boris.

Regards
      Thomas S.  (TAGMAN)

levlhed

• http://www.levlhed.com
« Reply #32 on: 16 Sep 2010, 03:19 am »
I took delivery of mine today and am listening to it now.

I don't have too much to say because my frame of reference is limited other than I am extremely happy with my purchase.

I knew my previous preamp wasn't that great, supposedly it "holds it's own for it's price", but now that I have the Phono1 I can truly hear what a compromise it was!  And it didn't even cost all that much more! 

This thing just sounds RIGHT.  I didn't realize how my records were supposed to sound until now.  I also wasn't aware of just how much of a weak link my former preamp was.

My set up is:
Technics SL-1200 "MKE" ~> DL-103r ~> Audioquest PT-9 ~> Bobs Devices Cinemag SUT ~> Vista Audio PHOHO-1+ ACLE ~> Bottlehead Crack w. Speedball ~> Sennheiser HD650

jupiterboy

« Reply #33 on: 20 Dec 2014, 09:57 pm »
My phono amp is out again, over the holidays. I'm emailing Boris about getting one of these set up for my new AT F-7. I think I'm stuck between the old stock depletion and the new supplier of the casings.

Very much looking forward to having a Vista in the system.

WireNut

« Reply #34 on: 20 Dec 2014, 10:04 pm »
I really like my Vista ACLE unit. Beats the crap out of the Pass labs pearl 2 DIY preamp. The pearl 2 is lifeless in comparison.

Mike

+1

bacobits1

« Reply #35 on: 4 Jan 2015, 11:22 am »
Picts we need Picts of the new one.
I is a great sounding pre for the $$.

bacobits1

« Reply #36 on: 13 Jun 2016, 05:12 pm »
Boris, how far are you now on the new one?

D

Audiovista

« Reply #37 on: 14 Jun 2016, 07:46 pm »
Hey Den,

Good to hear from you!

Basic tests are complete. Now I am going through more advanced evaluations - with so many options that is going to take a while. But it's fun, especially when everything goes nice and smooth :)

I have put some pictures on Vista's Facebook page (www.facebook.com/vistaaudio). I'll upload to the AC gallery soon.

Best,
Boris

bacobits1

« Reply #38 on: 14 Jun 2016, 08:14 pm »
Thanks Boris!
I'll be watching for it.

D

Audiovista

« Reply #39 on: 15 Jun 2016, 07:40 pm »