.1uf bypass testing and the 1801C

rez

Re: .1uf bypass testing and the 1801C
« Reply #40 on: 23 Nov 2007, 03:52 am »
Finally got the cap bypass done - I did all 6 with the .1 uf platinums.  I did one speaker first and listened... my impression was that the performance had moved more into the room, moved forward and there was a greater sense of 3 dimensional sound coming from the converted speaker.  These impressions were evident almost immediately and were confirmed with a variety of material.  I didn't spend too long listening for other differences except to characterize the sound overall as slightly more refined on the converted speaker.  This was subtle and with more time I could have a more in-depth report of its characteristics but I was too excited by the positive changes to wait any longer and went ahead and converted the second speaker.  For me this was a very worthwhile upgrade.

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
« Reply #41 on: 24 Nov 2007, 12:03 am »
Wonderful,

Please do offer some comments when your opinions on the Platinum capacitors are certain. 

Some folks claim there is a break-in period when using the Platinum capacitors.  I do have an opinion on the matter, but look forward to reading your comments.

Dave

David Ellis

« Reply #42 on: 8 Dec 2007, 01:07 pm »
I was chatting with a gent on the telephone yesterday and he mentioned that his older JBL 4312 speakers implemented bypassing.  Ironically, I recall this speaker during my early years of stereo intrigue while stationed overseas in Germany.  I thought the 4312 was a standout performer, but the BX changed inventory and had the Studio Monitor 10 when I was eventually able to purchase a new pair of speakers.  It was marginally inferior, but still performed quite well.  Anyhooo, here is a page from the 4312 users manual:

I was also struck by the response graph in the lower right corner of this page.  This clearly indicates one reason why loudspeakers are better today than in the good-old-days.  The lack of computer software would make a good typology nearly impossible - on par with a basketball getting stuck IN the backboard.   And quality control from unit to unit - yeah right  :roll:  :duh:.

Dave

David Ellis

« Reply #43 on: 24 Aug 2008, 01:03 pm »
Over the past few months there have been 2-3 more folks that upgrade ther 1801B speakers with .1uf Sonicap Platinum bypass capacitors.  The feedback was universally positive.

Dave

fred

« Reply #44 on: 25 Aug 2008, 12:26 pm »
I'm interested in installing the bypass caps, but....I have no idea where they go in the circuit.  Can you please describe?  (sorry, I'm an electronics dunce :dunno:).

David Ellis

« Reply #45 on: 31 Aug 2008, 01:06 pm »
Insert Quote
I'm interested in installing the bypass caps, but....I have no idea where they go in the circuit.  Can you please describe?  (sorry, I'm an electronics dunce ).

Yes, the leads of the bypass capacitor are simply soldered to the leads of the primary capacitor.  I generally wrap the lead from the bypass capacitor around the primary capacitor at least once, then solder.  There are some photo's of lead connections here:

Also, there is valid theory and evidence to support very short lead lengths for a bypass capacitor, and avoiding interference from other stray magnetic fields, but it is my belief that this is NOT a valid concern for a loudspeaker circuit.  The only caution I might offer is that having 5-8" of excess lead from a bypass capacitor wrapped around an inductor would have a negative impact and should be sensibly avoided.

Dave