Re: Cheap Tweaks ($100.00 or less)

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #40 on: 24 Jun 2007, 08:57 pm »
Hello All,

I will be happy to answer all questions you might have about the PE filters offered on A-gon.

Regards
Alan Maher

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #41 on: 24 Jun 2007, 09:16 pm »
alan, does your device have anything to do with this technology?
http://quantumqrt.com/cat.cgi?s=Symphony%20Pro
marvin
OOPS! typed at the same time. :oops:

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #42 on: 24 Jun 2007, 09:38 pm »
If I understand correctly, QRT is a combo of resonate and broadcast technology.  I use QRT products in my own system, so I have a basic working knowledge of how it works.  Our product differs.  Our unit is a multi-stage parallel capacitance filter.  The PE covers a range of 120KHz up to 1.5GHz with a -6db reduction in noise pending frequency.

Alan

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #43 on: 24 Jun 2007, 11:03 pm »
Actually, internal components, processors, etc, work outside the typical analog band of 20Hz to 20KHz.  Digital circuits work between 80KHz up to GHz pending processor design.  The PE, same as all other types of parallel filters, address the harmonics above 60Hz that effect this type of circuit.  At the same time, the PE also effects the analog band via enhancing common mode rejection inside the house wiring.  In a typical application, the PE provides common mode rejection, power factor correction, RF/EM filtering, and component isolation.  All parallel filters offer the same benefit, but to my knowledge, the PE has the widest bandwidth of any parallel filter on the market. 

Alan Maher 

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #44 on: 25 Jun 2007, 03:42 am »
If you limit me to $100 and we define a tweak as a non-equipment related item I'd say a Rat Shack SPL meeter.    Measuring your low frquency in-room response is critical to getting good results and the Rat Shack & some test tones and graph paper are about the cheapest way of getting there.

TerryO

« Reply #45 on: 21 Jul 2007, 04:45 am »
If you limit me to $100 and we define a tweak as a non-equipment related item I'd say a Rat Shack SPL meeter.    Measuring your low frquency in-room response is critical to getting good results and the Rat Shack & some test tones and graph paper are about the cheapest way of getting there.

Did somebody say "Radio Shack?"   aa
While he may be reluctant to admit it, but everything Kevin knows about Radio Shack, was taught to him by myself.

The Old Rat Shack was the DIY'ers best friend for a generation or more and many of the pro's, like Kevin, probably did some of their first projects using stuff from the Shack.
Gone, but not forgotten.

Best regards,
TerryO

weirdo

« Reply #46 on: 7 Aug 2007, 03:01 pm »
I would like to get some ideas on how to optomize CD player sound by way of vibration control. Does weight need to go on top of the player or below? Also, I have seen a reference to some clock boards
that are supposedly easy to install in the CD player. I am interested also in any type of signal conditioning at or around the 100.00 mark.

saisunil

« Reply #47 on: 26 Sep 2007, 04:40 pm »
Sound Quest ISOL Pads $25 for 4. I use them under all components and cables. I have not heard bad thing about these isolation pads from anyone.

They are inexpensive, they are easy to use they are non directional and they simply do what they are supposed to do - isolate your component from the shelf using rubber cork rubber. Components do not slide or become unstable.

Cheers

zacster

« Reply #48 on: 26 Sep 2007, 05:55 pm »
Home Depot stick-on vinyl floor tile.  Use it to dampen cheap CD/DVD player cabinet resonances.  75 cents/tile, one is usually enough.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #49 on: 4 Oct 2007, 01:39 am »
Make an appointment at you general practitioner el doctor and have your ears irrigated.  No joke.  See if he thinks your wax build up is normal.  Go home and hear how much high frequency information you have been missing.

Recommended recording for excellent recording technique and wonderful vocal jazz- You Won't Forget Me- Shirley Horne (Verve).  The last thing Miles ever recorded is on the title track.  You can thank me later.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Re: Cheap Tweaks ($100.00 or less)
« Reply #50 on: 4 Oct 2007, 02:28 am »

Recommended recording for excellent recording technique and wonderful vocal jazz- You Won't Forget Me- Shirley Horne (Verve).  The last thing Miles ever recorded is on the title track.  You can thank me later.

Got it on "But Beautiful: The Best of Shirley Horne on Verve",,,, Good Stuff! As far as cheap tweeks, I believe you get what you pay for, especially after your system has hit the point of dimishing returns. It's at this point where little improvements cost  a lotta $$$$. So for under $100, I'd say 1 Bybee but for a major improvement,,,,, well I have 22 Bybee's and I'd love love to replace the 4 Bybee's on my front main Lorelei's with Jack Bybee's Golden Goddess Speaker Bullets, only $4200.  :o

Robin

jrebman

« Reply #51 on: 4 Oct 2007, 02:39 am »
The only problem with getting an ear irrigation from a doctor is that I haven't found one (doctor) since 1988 who will do that anymore.  Maybe an audiologist is a better alternative.

-- Jim

lcrim

« Reply #52 on: 29 Dec 2007, 03:00 am »
Over on 6moons there was a review by Jeff Day a few months back of what he called the White Lightning Moonshine speaker cables and IC's.  http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/whitelightning/moonshine.html
I made a trip to Wal-Mart  and bought the Woods Yard Master Patio Cord specified in the review ($7.88) and made new  speaker cables for both my systems.  I had some Audioquest and Knu Koncept bananas in the drawer and used those for the living room.  Bare wire for the bedroom system. 
Like the article says, these are terrific speaker cables and allow a richer, more musical and extended at the frequency extremes sound than the Anticables I had been using.  The improvement has been just amazing to me.  I figured that I must have spent over $10 on the bananas so it doesn't qualify for under $10.
Do yourself a favor and try them out, the price is ridiculously cheap and the results are crazy good.

Danberg

« Reply #53 on: 29 Dec 2007, 03:08 am »
A note of warning regarding ear irrigation... an eardrum can be ruptured when having this done, causing hearing damage or worse, permanent tinnitus!  I know, as this happened to me.  I would proceede with extreeme caution regarding this "tweak".

Cacophonix

« Reply #54 on: 29 Dec 2007, 03:16 am »
Thanks a lot for the link, Larry.

NewBuyer

« Reply #55 on: 29 Dec 2007, 04:15 am »
A note of warning regarding ear irrigation... an eardrum can be ruptured when having this done, causing hearing damage or worse, permanent tinnitus!  I know, as this happened to me.  I would proceede with extreeme caution regarding this "tweak".

That is very disturbing. I hope doctors warn patients about this potential complication first.

HumanMedia

« Reply #56 on: 31 Dec 2007, 01:45 am »

Thats exactly why many doctors will not do this unless it is to fix/avoid other ear health issues.

ohenry

« Reply #57 on: 15 Jan 2008, 07:20 pm »
Over on 6moons there was a review by Jeff Day a few months back of what he called the White Lightning Moonshine speaker cables and IC's.  http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/whitelightning/moonshine.html
I made a trip to Wal-Mart  and bought the Woods Yard Master Patio Cord specified in the review ($7.88) and made new  speaker cables for both my systems.  I had some Audioquest and Knu Koncept bananas in the drawer and used those for the living room.  Bare wire for the bedroom system. 
Like the article says, these are terrific speaker cables and allow a richer, more musical and extended at the frequency extremes sound than the Anticables I had been using.  The improvement has been just amazing to me.  I figured that I must have spent over $10 on the bananas so it doesn't qualify for under $10.
Do yourself a favor and try them out, the price is ridiculously cheap and the results are crazy good.

Woods clone...
In case someone is having trouble finding this wire, the Woods "Yard Master" cord is also being marketed as "Utilitech" now in stores.  I found this at Lowes today and it's the same cord (the imprinted info on the outer jacket is the same as the Yard Master and the internals are identical).  Although hard to read here, it states, "Distributed by Woods Ind. on the package:

It is pretty good stuff...  aa

saisunil

« Reply #58 on: 15 Jan 2008, 09:02 pm »
Waipuna sound Myrtlefeet
$39 for three feet (for one component) - shipped!
There is January sale going on for $35 shipped
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?accstwek&1205013996

This is wholesale price - once he gets dealers it is going to double!

I bought 4 sets.

Works great

IronLion

« Reply #59 on: 15 Jan 2008, 09:04 pm »
For me at least- clean up the entire listening room.  Mine doubles as my bedroom, so more often than not its really messy, but the few times I do manage to get it clean the music somehow sounds better...maybe its cause I know it won't last that long.