Any news on the LS6/9?

geekinthehood

Re: Any news on the LS6/9?
« Reply #40 on: 18 Jun 2007, 01:49 pm »
I dunno, but I am getting frikin sick and tired of this wait :duh:

I'm actually enjoying it - it's kind of like anticipating opening a present or waiting for a meal at a fine restaurant. Then again, I'm still working on a place to put them... 

Sean Parque

• http://www.av123.com
« Reply #41 on: 22 Jun 2007, 09:33 pm »
I can understand though if we did not tell you of their existance until one week before shipping you would not feel the 'wait' but it still would be there... :)

I dunno, but I am getting frikin sick and tired of this wait :duh:

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #42 on: 25 Jun 2007, 03:31 pm »
I'm pretty excited about them, can't wait to hear what some of the first to receive them have to say. I do wish they would be a little more upfront with the people whom have given them their credit card numbers though... :scratch:  I just keep telling myself, to be patient Grasshopper!!

Sean Parque

« Reply #43 on: 25 Jun 2007, 04:18 pm »
Can you let me know exactly what you are looking for? 

Thanks!

Sean

I do wish they would be a little more upfront with the people whom have given them their credit card numbers though... :scratch: 

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #44 on: 25 Jun 2007, 05:13 pm »
Hi Sean,

I would like a little more information than I last got. This was the reply I received when I inquired(back in May) about a possible ship date or any news on the progress of the new LS9's:

Thanks for your message and concern.  I can't reveal any new info at this time, but do know they are actively being worked on.

That's it. I think I, and many others would just like a little more information on how things are coming along but most importantly a general idea of when they can start expecting these babies. I feel that if your customers had a general idea of when they could expect these to start shipping some wouldn't feel so frustrated ie;
I dunno, but I am getting frikin sick and tired of this wait
. Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not angry or any such thing, I just would like to have a general idea of when I can plan to pay for as well as try and convince my wife that "Honey, those  80 inch speakers have always been there"!!  Thank you for your prompt reply.
Sincerely,
John

Sean Parque

« Reply #45 on: 25 Jun 2007, 05:45 pm »
Joker,

Certainly we would not keep the information to ourselves if we had something to report and it made sense...

One big problem with what you (I'm not picking on you, there are lots asking the same thing :)) are asking for is that things change.  A release date is impossible to predict; think of all the things that go into a speaker...

Each pair of LS9's has 24 woofers, 18 tweeters, 24 ports assemblies (which consists of three separate parts each), four binding posts, two main networks with Sonicap bypass caps shipped to Erse to install on their boards, two daughter board networks for the bass management system, lots and lots of wood, two bases, eight spike/insert/floor protector combos, a whole lotta screws, gaskets, special fancy screws for the bass management system access door, special plaque for the back of the speaker, paint, veneer, stain and wiring.  To build one or two pairs of speakers is easy but we need to be able to build hundreds of exact replicas of the gold sample.

Now I can take the date I expect all of those items to be in the factory (I can't stock a years supply of much of that stuff just waiting to be used, it has to arrive JIT (just in time) but what if even one vendor does not deliver when they say they will?  Remember that most of the LS speaker components are custom built just for these speakers.  Most vendors specify 30-45 days or 60-90 or 90-120 days for their particular component.  If even one vendor does not deliver, that date I gave you is shot.  What if two slip behind?  I'm in real trouble now.  I have hundreds of emails in my inbox asking why we are late.  You can see the vicious cycle...

I tell you what you want to know but if I am wrong (and I will be; at least one vendor will be later than expected - we're humans and it happens), I get yelled at by throngs of customers.  If I don't tell you, I get tons of emails asking for updates, why won't you tell me, etc.  I definitely understand these emails and why I get them.  I don't want anyone to think that we are not grateful for our loyal customers.  We certainly are!  There are just realities of manufacturing (and at this scale) that most people do not understand - any why would they?  They don't run speaker companies and factories.

So, now one or two vendors are late... but wait... I had the factory time scheduled (as I build 200 other SKU's in the same factory I have to schedule out what machines will be used on what day for what item) and the containers lined up for this specific date.  Now what...?  I have to re-schedule everything to fit it in.  That date just changed again.

You can see that in the end, a more ambiguous answer is all I can do...

On the other hand...

We as a company do recognize the position we have put ourselves in.  We love to talk about the new stuff in the works.  We get valuable customer feedback on designs in process and we are agile so we can and do make changes based on that feedback.  But when we have to get quiet during the real working months of bringing a product to light...well, you know what happens :)

Because of this, we are looking at going to a subscription based information delivery model.  Mark (pres of AV123) is still working out the details but in general, we will no longer post tons of info out in the public.  We might announce that work has started on the Line Source Center speaker and will note no release date etc. but if you want updates on the progress, you have to sign up to the update service.  It will be email based and free.  Again, details are still being worked out...

Thanks Joker.

Sean

Sean Parque

« Reply #46 on: 25 Jun 2007, 05:56 pm »
BTW - I am on the list to get a pair of LS6's so I want those speakers done as badly as anyone else :)

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #47 on: 26 Jun 2007, 11:44 am »
Hi Sean,

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated. I sure hope I didn't cause the new "subscription based information delivery model" to be implemented! I was just trying to get an idea as I don't even know if it's this year! Kind of hard to plan around that but I guess I'll just be patient and keep waiting. Hopefully the people that have commited to buy a pair will automaticaly be placed on that email list. Thanks again for your help Sean.

Regards,
John

Sean Parque

« Reply #48 on: 26 Jun 2007, 03:48 pm »
John,

It certainly was not you :)

>>
Hopefully the people that have commited to buy a pair will automaticaly be placed on that email list.
<<

They will not - as then we would be spammers ;)  They will have the option of course...

Also, anyone that has paid for their speakers is entitled to cancel and get a refund... it's only fair...

Thanks,

Sean

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #49 on: 26 Jun 2007, 09:57 pm »
Thanks for the very informative post, Sean!  Makes perfect sense when you explain it like that, and I had no idea just how new products come to be.  We'll all just have to keep our eyes peeled. :)

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #50 on: 27 Jun 2007, 12:21 pm »
Sean,

Cool, glad I didn't cause a "problem". I'm really excited about the LS series of speakers and can't wait to see these beasts. So is the email list available to sign up for yet as I'm ready to sign up. :thumb:  Thank you.

Regards,
John

pmindemann

« Reply #51 on: 29 Jun 2007, 06:48 pm »

There are just realities of manufacturing (and at this scale) that most people do not understand - any why would they?  They don't run speaker companies and factories.

Sean, I used to work in sales at Altec Lansing (back when they still made home loudspeakers), and I can verify every word of what you just said. We even had our own driver assembly plants in the far east, and we STILL ran into production issues! I used to handle some pretty big retail accounts, so you can imagine the "fun" of not just having to respond to individual consumers when things went wrong, but to big corporate types with sales and production schedules of their own!

Anyway brother, I feel your pain. Still can't wait for my LS-6s though!   :lol:

alotaklipsch

« Reply #52 on: 30 Jun 2007, 04:52 am »
SEAN,

IN YOUR OPINION, WHICH SPEAKERS ARE BETTER, THE LS9, OR THE ARNIE NUDELL?  EMAIL ME WITH YOUR OPINION, OR ANSWER HERE, I MAY WANNA CHANGE.

STEVE

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #53 on: 2 Jul 2007, 01:20 pm »
Sean,
Forgive me if this has been stated elsewhere but are there going to be upgrade options on types of wood finish on the LS-9's? Thanks for your time.

John

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #54 on: 2 Jul 2007, 01:35 pm »
SEAN,

IN YOUR OPINION, WHICH SPEAKERS ARE BETTER, THE LS9, OR THE ARNIE NUDELL?  EMAIL ME WITH YOUR OPINION, OR ANSWER HERE, I MAY WANNA CHANGE.

STEVE

According to the posts over at the AV123 forum, Mark has said the two won't compare.

Mark feels that the RSL II (Arnie speaker) will be a statement type speaker.

George

Sean Parque

« Reply #55 on: 2 Jul 2007, 03:40 pm »
I sincerely appreciate your support! :D

Sean

Sean, I used to work in sales at Altec Lansing (back when they still made home loudspeakers), and I can verify every word of what you just said. We even had our own driver assembly plants in the far east, and we STILL ran into production issues! I used to handle some pretty big retail accounts, so you can imagine the "fun" of not just having to respond to individual consumers when things went wrong, but to big corporate types with sales and production schedules of their own!

Anyway brother, I feel your pain. Still can't wait for my LS-6s though!   :lol:

Sean Parque

« Reply #56 on: 2 Jul 2007, 03:41 pm »
Steve,

I've only seen the mules for the RSLII; not heard anything yet.

That said, the RSLII's are ~3-4x the price of the LS6 :)

Sean

SEAN,

STEVE

Sean Parque

« Reply #57 on: 2 Jul 2007, 03:45 pm »
John,

No upgrade options; just stellar stuff for the base price :)

Here is what has been agreed upon as of this writing.  Please note we may alter this as Mark is working on some new finishes right now (as in today)...

Palisander Natural Satin (think Rosewood without a stain so it's not red but browner)
Palisander Rosa Satin (same as above but with a red tinted stain; closest match to the rosewood as seen on our Rocket line)
Mojo de Rosa (new finish, lighter in color.  I don't have any good photos to show you of this yet)
Piano Black - special edition; limited run only; all speakers that are planned to be produced are already sold; could build more in the future but no plans yet)
Piano Rosewood - special edition; limited run only; all speakers that are planned to be produced are already sold; could build more in the future but no plans yet)

Thanks!

Sean

Sean,
Forgive me if this has been stated elsewhere but are there going to be upgrade options on types of wood finish on the LS-9's? Thanks for your time.

John

JDarby - Stereomojo.com

• Stereomojo.com
« Reply #58 on: 2 Jul 2007, 04:39 pm »
John,

No upgrade options; just stellar stuff for the base price :)

Here is what has been agreed upon as of this writing.  Please note we may alter this as Mark is working on some new finishes right now (as in today)...

Palisander Natural Satin (think Rosewood without a stain so it's not red but browner)
Palisander Rosa Satin (same as above but with a red tinted stain; closest match to the rosewood as seen on our Rocket line)
Mojo de Rosa (new finish, lighter in color.  I don't have any good photos to show you of this yet)
Piano Black - special edition; limited run only; all speakers that are planned to be produced are already sold; could build more in the future but no plans yet)
Piano Rosewood - special edition; limited run only; all speakers that are planned to be produced are already sold; could build more in the future but no plans yet)

Thanks!

Sean

Hey Sean,

Are we going to get a royalty on the "Mojo de rosa" finish??? hehe
And how is my order on those piano black LS6's coming? Just kidding. I know I have to wait in line like everyone else. Can't wait!

James Darby
Publisher - Stereomojo.com

JDarby - Stereomojo.com

• Stereomojo.com
« Reply #59 on: 2 Jul 2007, 04:47 pm »
Joker,

Certainly we would not keep the information to ourselves if we had something to report and it made sense...

One big problem with what you (I'm not picking on you, there are lots asking the same thing :)) are asking for is that things change.  A release date is impossible to predict; think of all the things that go into a speaker...

Each pair of LS9's has 24 woofers, 18 tweeters, 24 ports assemblies (which consists of three separate parts each), four binding posts, two main networks with Sonicap bypass caps shipped to Erse to install on their boards, two daughter board networks for the bass management system, lots and lots of wood, two bases, eight spike/insert/floor protector combos, a whole lotta screws, gaskets, special fancy screws for the bass management system access door, special plaque for the back of the speaker, paint, veneer, stain and wiring.  To build one or two pairs of speakers is easy but we need to be able to build hundreds of exact replicas of the gold sample.

Now I can take the date I expect all of those items to be in the factory (I can't stock a years supply of much of that stuff just waiting to be used, it has to arrive JIT (just in time) but what if even one vendor does not deliver when they say they will?  Remember that most of the LS speaker components are custom built just for these speakers.  Most vendors specify 30-45 days or 60-90 or 90-120 days for their particular component.  If even one vendor does not deliver, that date I gave you is shot.  What if two slip behind?  I'm in real trouble now.  I have hundreds of emails in my inbox asking why we are late.  You can see the vicious cycle...

I tell you what you want to know but if I am wrong (and I will be; at least one vendor will be later than expected - we're humans and it happens), I get yelled at by throngs of customers.  If I don't tell you, I get tons of emails asking for updates, why won't you tell me, etc.  I definitely understand these emails and why I get them.  I don't want anyone to think that we are not grateful for our loyal customers.  We certainly are!  There are just realities of manufacturing (and at this scale) that most people do not understand - any why would they?  They don't run speaker companies and factories.

So, now one or two vendors are late... but wait... I had the factory time scheduled (as I build 200 other SKU's in the same factory I have to schedule out what machines will be used on what day for what item) and the containers lined up for this specific date.  Now what...?  I have to re-schedule everything to fit it in.  That date just changed again.

You can see that in the end, a more ambiguous answer is all I can do...

On the other hand...

We as a company do recognize the position we have put ourselves in.  We love to talk about the new stuff in the works.  We get valuable customer feedback on designs in process and we are agile so we can and do make changes based on that feedback.  But when we have to get quiet during the real working months of bringing a product to light...well, you know what happens :)

Because of this, we are looking at going to a subscription based information delivery model.  Mark (pres of AV123) is still working out the details but in general, we will no longer post tons of info out in the public.  We might announce that work has started on the Line Source Center speaker and will note no release date etc. but if you want updates on the progress, you have to sign up to the update service.  It will be email based and free.  Again, details are still being worked out...

Thanks Joker.

Sean

Guys,

I can easily verify what Sean has said about parts contractors and delays. It is actaully very seldom when a manufacturer somes through on initial projected dates. There are ALWAYS delays. I am on the list for a pair of LS6's, too. I am as anxious as anyone, but I surely understand the issues. I know Sean and Mark are doing their very best for ALL their customers. In fact, I know that I get kicked to the back of the line because their other customers come FIRST - no special jump aheads for press people. I think that says tons about AV123's integrity.

Just my 2 cents.

James Darby
Publisher _stereomojo.com