Tube Vendors

mcgsxr

Re: Tube Vendors
« Reply #40 on: 3 Feb 2007, 05:21 pm »
email him, he is good to deal with.

mjosef

« Reply #41 on: 26 Feb 2007, 08:41 pm »
Here's a recommendation for Cryoset, speedy service and excellent product. Ordered a matched quad of their JJ EL34L, and its rock solid after 1 week, no bias drifting after just 30hours.  Wish they carried more tubes.
 :thumb:

mark funk

« Reply #42 on: 29 Mar 2007, 04:41 pm »
If you are looking for NOS signal tubes, Befuddled knows where to go Tubemonger.com :smoke:

Captain Humble

« Reply #43 on: 4 May 2007, 02:57 pm »
I just found this on Art Audio's Web site.

Recommended tube vendors:

Kevin Deal, Upscale Audio, Tel. (909)-931-9684, e-mail

Advantage Tube Services, Tel. (561)-434-3799, e-mail

PeaceableKingdom

« Reply #44 on: 22 Jun 2007, 05:19 pm »
I've been buying tubes from Roger Modjeski of Music Reference for years. Great quality/Great service and absolutely reliable and well tested tubes!

Here's a link to their tube store:

http://www.tubeaudiostore.com/

His Siemens EL-34's are great! I've used these for years and they are one of my favorite tubes.

He even has a clear top EL-34 from Svetlana listed on the website as well as Mullard EL-34's!

As a side note, I just received from him a custom built 6EM7 amplifier. It's 2 1/2 watts, but its an amazing sounding 2 1/2 watts!

fajimr

« Reply #45 on: 22 Jun 2007, 06:28 pm »

Kevin Deal, Upscale Audio, Tel. (909)-931-9684, e-mail

i'll second kevin.. although its been a while since I've interacted with him.  he's knowledgeable about the tubes and the sounds they produce so he is a good person to talk with.

jim

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #46 on: 22 Jun 2007, 06:55 pm »
Your tube gear manufacturer is always a good source for tubes.  I got tubes through Bill Baker at Response Audio and Gordon Rankin at Wavelength Audio.  Both are upright gentlemen with outstanding service and great products.  :thumb:

Frihed91

« Reply #47 on: 2 Oct 2007, 10:26 am »
Try Virgina tube audio: http://www.virginiatubeaudio.com/servlet/StoreFront .  It's a small company and they have very good quality control, sending back what doesn't pass their tests.  Mike Samara buys from them and recommends them, along with Jim McShane,who also inspects and tests every tube he gets in.

I have bought power tubes and/or dual triodes from both of them.  With power tubes, today, it's especially important to get good quality control because power tube production from eastern europe tends to vary so much (no names) in quality.

Thebiker

« Reply #48 on: 16 Oct 2007, 03:02 pm »
Based on a recommendation made somewhere in this thread, I placed an order with www.thetubestore.com.  I was re-tubing my Stingray and wanted a matched octet of EL84's.  Yes, I know that I will be biasing each tube individually, but it's nice to start at approximately the same place.

I ordered the 8 EL84EH's, 2 12AT7WC-EH and a pair of 6414's.  I placed this order on 10/7, 10/8 was Thanksgiving in Canada (these folks are in Ontario) and I still had my tubes in hand by 10/12, using standard shipping ($7.95).

They arrived quickly and extremely well packed.  Great service, no hassle; just what we all want :D.  So, another happy customer.

95bcwh

« Reply #49 on: 19 Oct 2007, 03:25 pm »
Anyone ever bought tubes from this ebay seller "Fantastic Tubes"???

He has a bunch of Telefunken 12AU7 smooth plates for sale at the lowest price I can find on the internet. But I noticed many of these TFK tubes have been on ebay for month and nobody wants to touch them. :scratch: :scratch:

see for example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Matched-Telefunken-12AU7-ECC82-tubes-Smooth-Plates_W0QQitemZ280158967877QQihZ018QQcategoryZ3284QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

martyo

« Reply #50 on: 19 Oct 2007, 04:30 pm »
Real 1960'S NOS Telefunken 12AU7's are gonna run $160-$180 for a matched pair. Always w/Diamond bottom. Later Telefunkens weren't made by Telefunken.

95bcwh

« Reply #51 on: 19 Oct 2007, 05:21 pm »
That's what the seller claimed - all his TFK have Diamond bottom.. :scratch:

Real 1960'S NOS Telefunken 12AU7's are gonna run $160-$180 for a matched pair. Always w/Diamond bottom. Later Telefunkens weren't made by Telefunken.

martyo

« Reply #52 on: 19 Oct 2007, 06:39 pm »
I sent you a PM

martyo

« Reply #53 on: 19 Oct 2007, 06:54 pm »
I just went to your eBay link, new ones test 330-350. If it were me I'd spend the extra money and get new ones that I know what I'm getting, just my opinion.

rhing

« Reply #54 on: 20 Oct 2007, 10:17 pm »
I have to throw in my endorsement of Cryoset (www.cryoset.com). Ron provides very prompt service, his packaging is impeccable, and best of all, his prices for cryogenically treated tubes are very reasonable. I don't know if cryo-treatment makes a big difference or not, but to get these new and tested tubes for the same price or less than untreated tubes is great. I have completely re-tubed my Onix SP3 integrated with Tung Sol 12AX7 Reissue's, Electro Harmonix 6922's, Electro Harmonix 12AU7's, and Tube Amp Doctor 6L6GC-STR power tubes. I'm sure NOS tubes are great, maybe better than new production tubes, but I like the availability and prices on new tubes. I've never had a problem with late shipments or quality of the tubes from Cryoset.

zacster

« Reply #55 on: 16 Nov 2007, 03:01 am »
As I was reading through this thread I found that I had already replied almost a year ago, but didn't give my preferences.  So here goes:

Antique Electronics Supply/Tubesandmore.com - I don't know the name of the owner but they always have given me good service.  When I ordered 6GM8s from them they shipped me a quad of BugleBoys.  These are the same tube as a 6DJ8 except low voltage and BBs in 6DJ8 go for lots of money.  Of course demand is the big factor and 6GM8s aren't in high demand.

TubeDepot - I've bought Sovtek 6B4Gs from them and they always arrive right on time.  When one came with a broken internal part, they had a new one to me in no time.

Leeds - Richard Matthews runs this one here in Brooklyn, and I've never ordered from him, I just go to the warehouse and buy direct.  I've bought orange globe 6DJ8s from him at $15, he also had bugle boys for $25 at the time.  He grabs a bunch of tubes and matches them there for me on the tester and makes sure I get a good quad.  If you ever need an oddball tube he's the guy to call.  Leeds is a direct descendent of the last of the 'Radio Row' shops that were closed when the World Trade Center was built.  By that time tubes were on the way out and most of them retired.  Leeds moved to Brooklyn and survived and then Richard bought the guy out.

And one last 'vendor'.  In a pinch most guitar shops have the common tubes you need.  12A?7, EL34, KT88, 6V6, 6L6, EL84, 5AR4, 5U4.  Brands are spotty, prices aren't always good, but it is better than waiting for the brown truck when you don't have a spare.

lcrim

« Reply #56 on: 11 Dec 2007, 04:43 pm »
quickie review on a tube vendor that I got from this thread-John/The No-Longer Chair Guy.
http://stores.ebay.com/SaleRCS
I bought a quad of cryoed JJ EL84's for $40 plus $6 shipping.  Arrived w/in 4 days from the left coast, well packed, no hassles.  I put a pair in the Decware last night w/ Mullard GZ34 rectifier and a 7308 signal tube.
After about an hour, I figured I'm going to shitcan all the EL84's banging around in the spare drawer.  These sound terrific.  I like the JJ's even w/o the cryo but these sound extended enough to put to shame many NOS tubes.
Recommended to those of you who use EL84's.

Eric

« Reply #57 on: 14 Dec 2007, 04:20 pm »
I have had great service and tubes from tubeworld

https://www.tubeworld.com/index_high.htm

MerRev

« Reply #58 on: 18 Dec 2007, 12:58 am »
thanks Gordy!    :thumb:
You beat me to it.

I've personally had very good luck with Jim McShane.

http://pages.prodigy.net/jimmcshane/

-Merrev

geowak

« Reply #59 on: 18 Dec 2007, 11:54 pm »
Has ANYONE ordered from these guys? They offer a very big selection.
www.vacuumtubes.net
Thanks