Sneak Peak at my new 3 way towers!

Brian Bunge

« on: 25 Sep 2005, 08:57 pm »
I thought I'd share some pictures of my new 3 way speakers.  These cabinets are 51"H x 14"W x 23"D and will be using dual Dayton RS 10's for woofers, dual Dayton RS 7's for mids, and the Dayton RS 28A tweeter.  I hope to have these up and running in a few weeks, but here are pictures of the build process up to their current state.

This first pic shows the front baffles cut:

This next pic shows the bracing from the backside of the assembled cabinet:

Here is the bracing and mid-enclosure from the front:

Here's the side of the assembled cabinet:

These next two pictures show the baffles temporarily installed with chamfered sides and top:

I'll post the rest of the pics in a few minutes.

Brian Bunge

« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2005, 09:22 pm »
OK, now the rest of the pictures.  The sides and tops were covered with figured cherry veneer and then I applied 4 coats of boiled linseed oil to help the grain pop!

Here's the side and top of one cabinet after the first coat of gloss poly was applied:

Notice the 1/2" roundovers on all of the holes in the braces:

And here are the cabinets just before taking them into the house.  At this point, they've got 6 coats of gloss poly and have a nice, mirror-like finish. I'm standing next to them to give them a little bit of scale.

I'm sure some of you have noticed the absence of the baffles and backs.  Well, I'm meeting with a local cabinet shop tomorrow to have them painted gloss black!  Connectivity will be courtesy of 3 sets of Exodus Audio long binding posts on the backs of the cabinets, just in case I ever decide to go fully active with them some day. :)  

Weight of the cabinets comes in at roughly 160 lbs. without drivers or crossovers installed (crossovers alone weigh 11 lbs.)  The cabinets are built out of 1" MDF for the sides, top, bottom, and braces.  The baffles and backs are 1.75" thick.

wshuff

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2005, 09:27 pm »
Those look like furniture, and given the weight, I'd probably rather move the couch and desk than the speakers.

Very nice!  I always enjoy looking at the pics of works in progress.  Keep 'em coming, and let us see what they look like when they get the drivers and x-overs installed.

Glen B

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2005, 09:34 pm »
Wow.  Amazing work Brian.  :thumb:

Brian Bunge

« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2005, 09:42 pm »
Guys,

Thank you very much for the kind words!  I forgot to mention that I still have to install the Sonic Barrier damping material in the enclosures!  If these turn out the way I expect them to, I plan to offer a full line of speakers using these drivers.

Kyle R.

• http://www.acoustic-visions.com
« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2005, 02:24 pm »
Geez, I've seem the in-progress pictures, but seeing you next to them puts them really in perspective!  I didnt realize they were that large!

Looking great Brian.

Michael Mitten

« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2005, 02:59 am »
Quote from: Kyle R.
Geez, I've seem the in-progress pictures, but seeing you next to them puts them really in perspective!  I didnt realize they were that large!

You know that Brian is 3' 4" right?  

:lol: I kid, I kid!

Brian as I said over on the other forum, very nice work. I'd love to hear them when they are done.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2005, 05:58 pm »
Michael, you did mean width, correct?  :wink:

Lookin' great, Brian, as usual!  :rock:
Let me know how much the cabinet guy charges you for the gloss finish on the baffles and backs.  How glossy - piano gloss?

Charles Calkins

« Reply #8 on: 30 Sep 2005, 10:05 pm »
Brian:
  Are you related to Klaus Bunge of Odyssey audio.

Cheers
                                    Charlie

Brian Bunge

« Reply #9 on: 4 Oct 2005, 07:31 pm »
Hank,

He's getting the highest gloss lacquer he can find.

Charlie,

As far as I know, there's no relation.  I don't know of many Bunge's that I'm not related to though so I guess anything is possible.  It's my understanding that Klaus is originally from Germany, whereas my family has been in the States since my great, great grandfather came over.

wshuff

« Reply #10 on: 10 Nov 2005, 01:41 am »
Any more progress on this one?

Brian Bunge

« Reply #11 on: 10 Nov 2005, 04:17 am »
Stacy,

I finished the cabinets weekend before last and finished installing the crossovers and drivers today!  So far they sound great!  Plucked strings have an articulation that I haven't heard from any other pair of speakers that I've owned.  I need more time to truly evaluate these but my initial impressions are very positive!

Here's a pic of the finished cabinet.  

wshuff

« Reply #12 on: 10 Nov 2005, 05:33 am »
I'm glad I asked.  Look forward to seeing the completed pics and hearing more of your impressions.

So when are you moving to the Mickey Mouse's hometown?

Nick V

« Reply #13 on: 3 Apr 2006, 10:20 pm »
Any updates on these? what drivers are you using?

Brian Bunge

« Reply #14 on: 4 Apr 2006, 12:16 am »
Yes, these have been finished for several months now.  Only last month did I finally get the chance to get them moved into place and really take a good listen due to our recent move.

They use the Dayton RS series drivers:  dual RS270's (10"), dual RS180's (7") and an RS28A tweeter.  Here's a finished pic, although not of very good quality.

And here's the frequency response I measured in-room: