Packing vinyl for cross country move - any tips?

Yomaha

Packing vinyl for cross country move - any tips?
« on: 17 Apr 2018, 05:57 pm »
Hello,

I've started packing my record collection for our cross country move. The small size boxes from uhaul fits perfectly. My question is should I leave a little "wiggle" room horizontally in the box to accommodate moderate shifting during transit?  Or would you fill the box to the max?  The boxes are HEAVY :-)

Any feedback much appreciated!

Photon46

Re: Packing vinyl for cross country move - any tips?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2018, 07:46 pm »
If they shift during transport that could lead to wear on spines and bottom edges. I'd pack the boxes full but not overstuffed. Might even even consider cutting 12" squares of 1/4" cheap plywood to put at the front and back of each box to reinforce the stack (if you have easy access to a saw, etc.) I'd also be very conscious about the temperature inside the moving van or trailer as one doesn't want them to get overheated and warp. 

twitch54

« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2018, 08:56 pm »
I'd also be very conscious about the temperature inside the moving van or trailer as one doesn't want them to get overheated and warp.

LOL, like UPS, FedEx or any other trucking company worries about that when shipped !

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2018, 08:58 pm »
The packing should be TIGHT, really tight. So no movement inside the boxes.
I placed box sets at the ends.
I moved over 100 boxes on my last move..

This time of year not too much of a problem with heat. Unless in SouthWest.
A truck sitting in 95F bright sun could easily get up to 170F and higher inside trailer.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2018, 09:02 pm »
Definitely protect them from the heat.  Back in the 1970's my brother borrowed my LP's and left at least 100 in his car with the windows closed and they all warped and were trash. I would get some dry ice packs and put the LP's in double walled cardboard boxes surrounded by bubble wrap or Styrofoam peanuts if they are being transported through warm States.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2018, 02:54 pm »
With all due respect that seems like a bit of overkill.  Well packed boxes with the lp's tightly fitted are unlikely to warp, after all they were all shipped to you or the store you got them from with no special cooling packets enclosed.  My main concern is weight, those boxes are not in the least bit designed for that much weight and handled by the movers I've known invites catastrophic box failure and possible damage to the contents.  I would either put way less albums in each box and fill the empty space with packing material or use smaller boxes, been there, done that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001J5F8CK/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1524063373&sr=8-14&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=lp+record+shipping+boxes

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2018, 03:07 pm »
The weight problem is solved with stronger bits in the ends of the boxes.
I used box sets. Another poster mentioned using cut plywood.
The fact is a well filled box is going to be MUCH stiffer and stronger than one not fully packed.
It is the flimsy partially filled boxes that will fail!
I stacked my packed boxes FIVE boxes high. No problems.
A fully packed and stiff box has far more strength than a partially or 'loose' box!
Packed the LPs act as part of the box, and the cardboard is really just holding the LPs in., loose all you have is the thin cardboard for vertical strength

Yomaha

« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr 2018, 04:33 pm »
Thanks to everyone for all the thoughtful replies!  I have ended up using my small unable boxes and filling them up with minimal wiggle room. In each uhaul box I put a record box set as a bookend on both sides.

Fortunately we know the movers who are loading our truck. I’ve got the boxes labeled as heavy/fragile. Since I’ll be there supervising I’m going to make sure these boxes don’t end up at the bottom. Our stuff is insured as well. Of course some of the more expensive records like Icky thump mono will be traveling in the car with my wife and I. I think my tubes are going to ride in the car with us as well.