rkirstuk

« on: 14 Apr 2018, 03:51 am »
hello I am new here and am looking for a replacement speaker for my paradigm studio 100V5.
I am moving to a new place and need to greatly reduce the size of my speakers.
Any suppositions ?
I believe I read N2X are very good ?

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: newbie
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2018, 04:02 am »
Welcome aboard Rkirstuk

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2018, 12:12 pm »
Welcome to AC!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2018, 12:20 pm »
Yes, welcome!

Need more information to help you.  What is you application?
- music/home theater
- in-room/desk-top
- dedicated room/shared space- type(s) of music
- room size (if in-room)- spouse/pets/kids involved
- amplifier to be used
- budget

Assuming budget stand-mounts, the ELAC B5/B6/B6 v.2/UB5 are currently popular but I still love my Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's because they have a more full bodied sound than most current stand-mounts and trade exterior treatments for quality of internal components.  Be careful of audio cults and fanboys, learn to read between the lines, beware of initial impressions (boomy bass and zingy highs quickly get old), and please do a serious audition before purchasing.

rkirstuk

« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2018, 07:40 pm »
Thank you for responding. Most of our listening is TV and music in the new living room.
I currently have an Emotiva MC-700 and XPA-200. I may need to change these also because they are so deep and the spot where they need to go is only 16" deep ! I have considered possibly going to Anthem (I can get a deal).

The room is approximately 14' by 14'.

rkirstuk

« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2018, 07:47 pm »

rkirstuk

« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2018, 07:49 pm »

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2018, 11:35 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC rkirstuk    :thumb:

JLM

« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2018, 12:49 am »
An audio friend uses a Node 2 ($500 MSRP, DAC/preamp/remote) which is quite small, sounds descent, plays full MQA, and can learn any remote.  It can plug directly into active monitors, like the JBL LSR305 ($300 MSRP) which are also quite small, and sub if needed.  He uses the Node 2 as a very family friendly piece that plugs into the TV via optical cable and his ethernet for access to Tidal. 

rkirstuk

« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2018, 01:01 am »
Will check out the Node 2. I loved old JBL but heard they have turned into a marketing thing, kind of like Bose ?

rkirstuk

« Reply #10 on: 15 Apr 2018, 01:02 am »
 :D
Greetings & Welcome to AC rkirstuk    :thumb:

JakeJ

« Reply #11 on: 15 Apr 2018, 02:45 am »
Hello and welcome to AC, rkirstuk.

JLM

« Reply #12 on: 15 Apr 2018, 11:05 am »
Will check out the Node 2. I loved old JBL but heard they have turned into a marketing thing, kind of like Bose ?

I owned JBL L44's in the 70's (large stand mount with 8 inch full range and 8 inch passive radiator - a rock and roll speaker).  And I've had a pair of 305's in house for extended listening.  They really do little wrong and considering that they include the power amps make for a very compelling deal.  Are they the end all speaker?  Not in my book (note that my main speakers were commissioned - not off the shelf), but my audio club did a quick comparison between several $300/pair speakers and none beat them (and they were the only active models).  A trip to Guitar Center (that have several active monitors setup) should convince you of their sound quality.  Check out the many positive reviews.

Not an expert on the decades of JBL history, but like many big corporately owned companies they currently offer a wide range of speakers, from 'computer' speakers to car speakers to sound reinforcement gear to high end home audio speakers to the $20,000/pair M2 that is used for mastering work.  The 305's were created primarily to work in small recording/mixing studios to be accurate (to quickly find flaws in recordings) rather than tickling the fancies of a set of biased/uninformed listeners.  So good recordings will sound better and poor recordings/performances will not.

rkirstuk

« Reply #13 on: 15 Apr 2018, 03:36 pm »
Thanks again
Really appreciate the help !
I know my biggest problem is going from a big speaker I enjoy a lot to small speaker and I cant compare in house.
Many decisions !

strat_80

« Reply #14 on: 17 Apr 2018, 02:47 pm »
I have Ascend Sierra-2 s that are excellent, but lacking in low frequency. Considering BMR Philharmonitors.