« on: 12 Apr 2018, 07:41 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Stereophile Recommended Components 2018

April 2018

FROM NEKO AUDIO

Hi James,

Thought you might be interested in this:

Bryston cleaned up in Stereophile's 2018 Recommended Components list:

•   The Bryston BDP-3 digital player/network streamer (class A)

•   The Bryston BDA-3 DAC (class A+)

•   The Bryston BCD-3 dedicated CD player (class B)

•   Plus the Bryston Middle T speakers (class B full-range).

Recommended Components: 2018 Edition
STEREOPHILE.COM

Grant Hill

Re: Stereophile Recommended Components 2018
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2018, 09:56 am »
CONGRATS!!

geowak

« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2018, 01:59 pm »
I have read here great things about Bryston, mostly from owners,but to ask a fair question, “How many people take what Sterophile and other hifi mags write in product reviews seriously?” I almost never see a negative review on a product.

milford3

« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2018, 03:38 pm »
Sterophile takes advertising money.  That's the answer for good reviews.

gbaby

« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2018, 04:00 pm »

Quit being such a cynic. Is the reason Stereophile ultimately did not endorse MQA because it takes advertising money. Give me a break. :roll:

Buseto

« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2018, 05:02 pm »

Well, if one reads comments of some manufacturers, who also advert in Stereophile, about the results of the reviews in Stereophile one would think differently.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr 2018, 05:27 pm »
Stereophile or not Stereophile...try a Bryston component for your own system and you'll see (hear) if you like it or not.
for me, Bryston has changed the REALITY about what a record has to offer for ever - come tomorrow, come what may.
sure it's nice to read a good review of your favourite brand. but in the end it has to fit your needs, your wallet and most important...your EARS.

may the sound be with you 8)

al.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #7 on: 12 Apr 2018, 05:38 pm »
I only read reviews of gear long after I have owned/bought it.
Just to confirm that I have the best taste in audio gear on this planet  :lol: :green: :thumb:

Photon46

« Reply #8 on: 12 Apr 2018, 05:40 pm »
I would posit the reason we seldom see negative reviews, in part, is because competition in the marketplace over the decades has brought us to the point there are very few really bad audio products made. If someone wants to make a successful business venture with a high probability of sales success and company longevity I can't imagine an industry less attractive than the audio business. Most of those in the game today are either a long established player who's ironed out the kinks of design, marketing, and manufacturing and has a dedicated following or they're a passionate entrepreneur who's well aware of the level of competition they face and they aren't going to waste time on a substandard venture. Stereophile also has minimum standards for the number of dealers a product must have before being reviewed, so that tends to raise the bar as well. I'm not saying a publication's writers and editors aren't subject to bias and favoritism, who among us do not have those? Hopefully we figure out which reviewers have tastes that are similar to ours (or not) and take our cues from there. Reviewing audio gear isn't an objective discipline once you get past the technical sidebars (in the case of John Atkinson in Stereophile,) the rest is subjective opinion and entertainment. However, the penchant some display for constant badmouthing of reviewers whose tastes differ from yours or mine is an unproductive cynical mindset IMO. I don't get upset if a reviewer on RottenTomatoes gives a different opinion about a film I disliked and the same is the case with audio reviews.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #9 on: 12 Apr 2018, 09:33 pm »
Bryston 7B3 amplifiers are in TAS as 'recommended' for 2018.
So is the Bryston B135 cubed.
As well as the Classic Bryston BP-26 and MPS-2

(feels good to have bought the BP-26 years ago, and find it still is a top contender.)

TJ-Sully

« Reply #10 on: 12 Apr 2018, 10:32 pm »
nicely said al.

it's great to see Bryston receive the recognition it deserves.  :thumb:

TJ

Hoiman

« Reply #11 on: 14 Apr 2018, 07:04 am »
I can only speak for my self but I heard a lot of DACs, Ampliefiers and networkplayers like the BDP-1,2 and 3 and Bryston is/has the sound what I'm looking for.
So it's possible that other people like stereophile also finds a good match in Bryston. The only thing I'm not charmed with is/are the sound of the speakers.
It's nice to see/hear that other people here and Stereophile and TAS also thinks that it's a good brand, then I know I'm not grazy ;-)

TJ-Sully

« Reply #12 on: 15 Apr 2018, 12:43 am »
Hi Hoiman - what speakers are you referring to? anything specific - or all speakers..?

Hoiman

« Reply #13 on: 17 Apr 2018, 06:38 am »
what speakers are you referring to? anything specific - or all speakers..?

I think it was the middle T (a big one and his little brother).

R. Daneel

« Reply #14 on: 23 Apr 2018, 07:41 am »
It took me almost a year to decide on the BDA-2. I did my own set of comparisons with what were then considered high-end DACs i.e. Musical Fidelity M6DAC, NAD M51, M2Tech Young, Exposure 2010S2 but also some more affordable DACs. All of these sounded more similar than different to be quite honest.

However, I also took into account quality of the connectors, number of inputs, how fast and reliable the connection is (some DACs would take up to 2 seconds to lock onto the incoming signal) and guarantee period. None of these things are taken into account by professional reviewers. Let's face it, you cannot really give any positive points for DAC locking onto a signal quickly because you expect it to. You can only give negative points if it doesn't so it's better not to mention it at all. But I was quite surprised just how many litttle things there are about these devices that can go wrong and that can sway you into one direction or another.

Musical Fidelity sounded the most resolving and the dynamic contrasts were rather dramatic. NAD M51 was the most refined-sounding. M2Tech sounded all-around great but not quite up to the level of these two. But Musical Fidelity dealer offered only 12 months of guarantee period and additional 24 months for an Extra Premium. I also disliked the Musical Fidelity's display and selectable digital filter that made no audible difference to the audio. As for NAD, I didn't like it's tinny chassis or the quality of it's connectors. I certainly didn't like the M2Tech's outboard power supply. Bryston was a more balanced product on all fronts. It is well made, connectors are of high quality, it is straightforward in use and is not dependent on quality of the signal or the cables. It also sounds wonderful. It's almost as dynamic as the Musical Fidelity and almost as refined as the NAD. It offers better spatiality than either. Sadly, it was also the most expensive DAC but the guarantee period was the longest and the dealer was the friendliest.

There's one other thing. I did a lot of a reading about DAC technology, it's promises and it's pitfalls. While other DACs were technologically impressive, especially the NAD, Bryston had the most developed analog section. Not only is it's output section discrete but it's input section as well. That's something you just don't see. It means extra effort was put into designing the circuit layout. So it's a very "sanely" designed DAC, employing proven technique and principles. So while it doesn't claim any extraordinary feature, it delivers.

Stereophile is one of the more "reliable" magazines in my opinion but that doesn't mean you should trust them blindly. Stereophile, like any other magazine of this tpye, is by definition an extended "arm" of the companies' marketing department and this is something you should always keep in mind.

Cheers!
Antun

THROWBACK

« Reply #15 on: 23 Apr 2018, 12:43 pm »
Nice post, Antun. Thanks.

R. Daneel

« Reply #16 on: 23 Apr 2018, 07:14 pm »
Nice post, Antun. Thanks.

Thanks for the compliment!

Cheers,