Long time audiophile with upgrade bug!!!

Thieldude

• Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Long time audiophile with upgrade bug!!!
« on: 9 Apr 2018, 02:32 pm »
Just joined AudioCircle.. Good to find many other Audiophiles with the "affliction" of enjoyment and constant upgrade. Currently running 3 systems. Two of them are older identical Adcom systems (GFA 555, GTP 502, GCD 575, ACE 515)..one with Dahlquist DQ12 speakers (totally rebuilt) and other with Thiel CS1.5s.. Newest system (5yrs) is a Parasound Halo conglomerate A23/P3/D3/T3 going thru B&W CDM9s using JW audio cryo speaker cables and interconnects.. Sounds great but the upgrade bug is biting.. Seems if the B&Ws require more power although livable

..Adcom amp does well but really becomes bright ..Too mid fi and old

Looking at Parasound A21, Odyssey Stratos Extreme, Cary 200.2 or McCormack w/ upgrades for amp...Even thought of Vincent 331...Preamp would be next..Not into integrated..strickly 2ch audio room

What do you guys think?

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Long time audiophile with upgrade bug!!!
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2018, 02:46 pm »
Welcome aboard Thieldude :thumb:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 9 Apr 2018, 02:58 pm »
Geez. I don't recall ever having the upgrade bug. I think it was more like "full blown don't tell my wife I bought those" pneumonia.

Welcome to AC.

Enjoy the ride.

Michael

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 9 Apr 2018, 03:09 pm »
Just joined AudioCircle.. Good to find many other Audiophiles with the "affliction" of enjoyment and constant upgrade. Currently running 3 systems. Two of them are older identical Adcom systems (GFA 555, GTP 502, GCD 575, ACE 515)..one with Dahlquist DQ12 speakers (totally rebuilt) and other with Thiel CS1.5s.. Newest system (5yrs) is a Parasound Halo conglomerate A23/P3/D3/T3 going thru B&W CDM9s using JW audio cryo speaker cables and interconnects.. Sounds great but the upgrade bug is biting.. Seems if the B&Ws require more power although livable

..Adcom amp does well but really becomes bright ..Too mid fi and old

Looking at Parasound A21, Odyssey Stratos Extreme, Cary 200.2 or McCormack w/ upgrades for amp...Even thought of Vincent 331...Preamp would be next..Not into integrated..strickly 2ch audio room

What do you guys think?

Welcome to AC.  I own a Parasound A21 along with a Pass Labs X250 amp. The Pass is just on another level. The A21 is long in the tooth, has a bit of grain and it not the last word in air and transparency.  There are better amps at its price point.  Nothing wrong with the other amps you listed.  Vincent amps are supposed to be great.  Also consider PS Audio's M700 monoblocks, used BAT, Pass and the new AVA HiFi DVA series amps.  Read the reviews.  I would also consider upgrading your preamp.  The P3 is more midfi.

Larry

maty

« Reply #4 on: 9 Apr 2018, 03:38 pm »
B&W CDM9 NT Loudspeaker

http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/loudspeakers/bw-cdm9nt.html

http://www.parasound.com/hint.php

Power Output - Both channels driven
(0.05% THD, RMS, 20 Hz - 20 kHz)
160 watts x 2 @ 8 Ω
240 watts x 2 @ 4 Ω

You do not need more power.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 9 Apr 2018, 03:39 pm »
..Not into integrated..strickly 2ch audio room

What do you guys think?
I think you should consider Integrated amps due high performance value per money, less space and less cables required.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 9 Apr 2018, 03:57 pm »
Welcome!  Have a bunch of Thiels in the main system

Thieldude

• Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
« Reply #7 on: 9 Apr 2018, 04:10 pm »

Welcome to AC.  I own a Parasound A21 along with a Pass Labs X250 amp. The Pass is just on another level. The A21 is long in the tooth, has a bit of grain and it not the last word in air and transparency.  There are better amps at its price point.  Nothing wrong with the other amps you listed.  Vincent amps are supposed to be great.  Also consider PS Audio's M700 monoblocks, used BAT, Pass and the new AVA HiFi DVA series amps.  Read the reviews.  I would also consider upgrading your preamp.  The P3 is more midfi.

Larry

Agreed on the P3....and the A21 but considered synergy...was looking at a Pass x150 as well..Good call !!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 9 Apr 2018, 04:52 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Thieldude   :thumb:

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 9 Apr 2018, 05:47 pm »
Welcome Thieldude! Maybe I'm biased having worked for both, but I love the combination of Thiel and Bryston. CS1.5s are great speakers!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #10 on: 10 Apr 2018, 04:04 pm »
Agreed on the P3....and the A21 but considered synergy...was looking at a Pass x150 as well..Good call !!

If you are looking at the Pass X-150, consider the 150.5 which is a much better amp.  The 150 is not in the same league as the X-250 and higher amps.  It is different circuitry from those amp and that is straight out of the horses mouth from Pass.  The X-150.5 is similar to the X-250.5 and higher amps though.

If you have any interest in an X-250 I have a friend that has one that I believe is looking to sell.  He is very reliable.  It is in great condition.  He replaced it with a higher end Mark Levinson amp but still uses his Pass preamp.  There is also one on audiogon.  It is an awesome amp.  I love mine.  Be aware that Pass amps while detailed have a more of a rounded sound.  It does not have that artificial razor sharp attack and fast pace that the A21 has.

Larry

geowak

« Reply #11 on: 11 Apr 2018, 01:19 am »
My two cents...

I had these amps, here is the simple rating.
1 Parasound Halo 21. Very best for under $2000
2 McCormack DNA125. Not modified, but very good. Developed a hum in transformer.
3 Odyssey Stratos. Huge mistake, terrible amp. Would never recommend this product.
Never tried the Pass, but I think it would be best, since they are priced higher.

JakeJ

« Reply #12 on: 11 Apr 2018, 07:29 pm »
Hello and welcome to AC, Thieldude.

ChrisPDX

« Reply #13 on: 15 Apr 2018, 10:47 pm »
Welcome aboard, mate ! Have you considered the Parasound P5 pre-amp? I understand it pairs extremely well with the Halo amplifiers.