Poll

Has anyone other than myself tried putting RM40's on Sistrum platforms?

For keeping them on the floor.
2 (100%)
For raising them up on points or combination platforms.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Putting VMPS RM40'S ON POINTS OR SISTRUM PLATFORMS

Bob Stark

Putting VMPS RM40'S ON POINTS OR SISTRUM PLATFORMS
« on: 30 Mar 2018, 10:40 pm »
About 3 years ago, I tried putting my RM40 BCSE MLS speakers on Star Sound Sistrum SP-101 platforms.  The sound is more live, detailed, dynamic, and the bass is much more real sounding with zero overhang.  The leading edge of the musical transients is much quicker.   It allowed me to take out the bass traps I had in the corners of my basement room--they no longer had any effect on the sound.  The only minor drawback is the bass is not quite as powerful and crunching as when they are directly on the floor, but the bass line is more detailed and organic sounding.  The pair of RM40's I have were THE pair Brian sent to Bound For Sound for review and became Marty DeWulf's reference speaker for a few years. 

I also cut a slot in the vertical portion of the bases to allow me to use RTS couplers to clamp the speakers to the platforms.  This results in further gains in the above mentioned areas after 7-10 days.  This also had the benefit of not allowing the speakers to be knocked off the 3 pt. platforms.   I know Brian said to NOT put his speakers on points or anything else that caused them to be off the floor at all.  John Casler put his RM30's on 8" tall bases to raise the soundstage up a little higher.  Putting them on the Sistrums has a similar effect on the soundstage of rising it up a little. 

Has anyone else done something that increased the transparency, clarity, and/or dynamics in their VMPS speakers?

G E

Re: Putting VMPS RM40'S ON POINTS OR SISTRUM PLATFORMS
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2018, 01:09 am »
I have  RM 30 series II that I am thinking about putting on a monolithic maple base, 8-10 inches tall.

This would/will(?) replace the base plate and riser structure. Port not needed since downfiring passive radiators are gone.

First I need to install the mega woofers that are laying around.

Bob Stark

Re: Putting VMPS RM40'S ON POINTS OR SISTRUM PLATFORMS
« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2018, 03:25 am »
GE,

That is one of the easier jobs on a VMPS speaker.  Less than an hour to do the 4 of them I'm sure.  When I did that to the 30's I had, the bass was a little deeper, and they did not bottom out on loud bass transients like they had occasionally prior.   Putting in the 10" passive radiator was a very good change in the bass quality and quantity.  It should be very nice when you're done.  Good luck!