Spark for home theater use?

AvsFan

Spark for home theater use?
« on: 31 Jan 2018, 08:16 pm »
Building my dedicated theater room. 7.2.2 Atmos system. Small space and area. Wanting to mix theater and 2 channel audio together. 2 channel music is VERY important to me though. I just haven't been happy since I sold my Decware SE84UFO. But 2 watts was a little too low of wattage. So I am thinking 20 watts should be okay but just want to make sure. And I would want 2 Sparks 1 for the left and right and 1 for the center. My speakers will most likely be ZU Audio DW's, which are 97db efficient. Also, what would I do with the extra input left from the center? Just use it for a surround or can I just leave it unused? 

Audiovista

Re: Spark for home theater use?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2018, 11:47 pm »
Very interesting. I had to check the 7.2.2 configuration (I’m not an expert on HT, the last one I had was 5.1 :lol:). The Spark will definitely drive Zu’s very well. Since the second Spark will drive center channel, one input will remain unused. It is ok to run it that way, or you can use it to run one of the other channels - not sure if you are planning to take advantage of all 7+2+2 channels. Center channels are not power hungry, so the Spark will be “underutilized”, but it’s quality in the presence region will help with the movie dialogue clarity.

AvsFan

« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2018, 07:56 pm »
Very interesting. I had to check the 7.2.2 configuration (I’m not an expert on HT, the last one I had was 5.1 :lol:). The Spark will definitely drive Zu’s very well. Since the second Spark will drive center channel, one input will remain unused. It is ok to run it that way, or you can use it to run one of the other channels - not sure if you are planning to take advantage of all 7+2+2 channels. Center channels are not power hungry, so the Spark will be “underutilized”, but it’s quality in the presence region will help with the movie dialogue clarity.

5.1 Was so 90's. LOL  :D
That's okay about not being a HT expert, the 3.0 part of it is all I really care about with your Spark amp. And obviously 2.0 is the biggie. Like I said, I have just been so underwhelmed listening to music lately. Probably why I don't even listen much anymore. My Decware/Omega combo was beautiful! I am hoping to get the same result, maybe even better with the ZU/Spark combo. Funny thing is, when I initially purchased my Decware, I had it narrowed down between the Decware and the Dayens Ampino, which seems similar to the Spark. But from what I read, the Spark might be a little more musical or tube like compared to the Ampino which might be more dynamic. Can you elaborate on what I will be getting with the Spark in comparison to the Ampino? Also, I am sure it is okay to have two sources hooked up to one of the Sparks. I intended to use the Sparks inputs as follows, pre-out from my Marantz AVR to the Spark and then a dedicated DAC or CD player to the other input. Would that work?

Thanks!

Audiovista

« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2018, 03:16 am »
5.1 Was so 90's. LOL  :D

Very true! I remember watching a movie where most of the action was in the rain. Half way thru the movie I realized that it bothers me that the rain sound is coming behind me and I switched to 3.0. That was a relief! Never went back to 5.1. Logically, next step was to remove AV receiver and go with 2.0. Sometimes (but rarely) 2.1.

Back to our topic: You can definitely use Spark's inputs as you described, no issues with that. If you still have Omegas, the Spark is a great match for them. I often have Louis send people my way when they ask about appropriate amplification for his beauties (thanks Louis  :thumb:).

Spark indeed sounds close to a well executed tube designs. Several people commented that the sound reminds them of Vista's former i84 amplifier. I tend to agree. Ampino is probably better suited to drive more difficult speakers where impedance dips to around 3 ohms or below - not a case with Zu or Omega speakers.

Hope this helps.

AvsFan

« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2018, 10:01 pm »
Very true! I remember watching a movie where most of the action was in the rain. Half way thru the movie I realized that it bothers me that the rain sound is coming behind me and I switched to 3.0. That was a relief! Never went back to 5.1. Logically, next step was to remove AV receiver and go with 2.0. Sometimes (but rarely) 2.1.

Back to our topic: You can definitely use Spark's inputs as you described, no issues with that. If you still have Omegas, the Spark is a great match for them. I often have Louis send people my way when they ask about appropriate amplification for his beauties (thanks Louis  :thumb:).

Spark indeed sounds close to a well executed tube designs. Several people commented that the sound reminds them of Vista's former i84 amplifier. I tend to agree. Ampino is probably better suited to drive more difficult speakers where impedance dips to around 3 ohms or below - not a case with Zu or Omega speakers.

Hope this helps.

So my next question is, since the amps will be used as just that, amps. Due to I have volume control on both my AVR and DAC, do I turn up the volume on th Sparks all the way?

And I sadly no longer own the Omega's. They are an amazing speaker and Louis is an amazing guy to work with. I always felt like I was talking to a good friend every time  we conversed.

I did however talk to Garrett today over at ZU and placed an order. So we are well on our way to hopefully an amazing set up. The ZU's should be able to play VERY loud with 20 watts of power.

Audiovista

« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2018, 02:17 pm »
So my next question is, since the amps will be used as just that, amps. Due to I have volume control on both my AVR and DAC, do I turn up the volume on th Sparks all the way?

And I sadly no longer own the Omega's. They are an amazing speaker and Louis is an amazing guy to work with. I always felt like I was talking to a good friend every time  we conversed.

I did however talk to Garrett today over at ZU and placed an order. So we are well on our way to hopefully an amazing set up. The ZU's should be able to play VERY loud with 20 watts of power.

Yes, you can turn the volume all the way up. Although, I like it best when it is at about 3 or 4PM position. Not for sound quality but to have some “protective” resistance between preamp and the amp... gives me some comfort, not based on anything technical.

Absolutely agree about Louis and his speakers!

I’ve heard Zu’s with 300B tube amps, 8W was rocking the room!

AvsFan

« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2018, 06:32 pm »
Yes, you can turn the volume all the way up. Although, I like it best when it is at about 3 or 4PM position. Not for sound quality but to have some “protective” resistance between preamp and the amp... gives me some comfort, not based on anything technical.

Absolutely agree about Louis and his speakers!

I’ve heard Zu’s with 300B tube amps, 8W was rocking the room!

Well I guess 20watts of AB power should give me plenty of headroom then. And on top of that it's a pretty small listening room. I could probably turn it up to 1 or 2 and be more than fine.

Audiovista

« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2018, 07:19 am »
 :thumb: