Takachi kit assembly feedback.

bavmike

• Facilitator
Takachi kit assembly feedback.
« on: 13 Jan 2018, 02:02 am »
Hi guys,

I decided to just make a thread on Takachi kit assembly feedback. Since the build is so straight forward, I thought I’d just let you guys share the build process and then I can comment if there’s any grey areas of how things should be done.

bavmike

• Facilitator
Re: Takachi kit assembly feedback.
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2018, 02:29 am »
One thing that folks should know is to get a piece of sand paper or emery cloth and sand the anodizing off the aluminum on the top side of the chassis ground hole (inside the case). And do this before building the case. If you have the mil spec power cable the chassis ground hole is under the fuseholder. If you have the Furutech S55N, it’s by the mains input on the amp module. Use the M3 stainless hex head screw together with star washer, 2 flat washers, and nut in the screw bag to fasten the chassis ground to the case. The star washer goes right against the case aluminum. Flat washer on top. Other flat washer on the bottom of the case.

I think everything else is pretty much self explanatory.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2018, 02:33 am »
1 more thing. You may need to squeeze the quick connectors with pliers a bit to get a very tight fit on the fuseholder blade connectors. Since these are genuine fastons, if you do this it’s very difficult to remove them as the Center pin locks into the hole in the middle of the blade properly.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2018, 03:59 am »
I just realized the wrong length stainless hex screw for the chassis ground was packed into the little bags with the kits. Sorry guys. Now I see what Gab was talking about:

Obviously not going to work. So 2 solutions:

1: Go find a shorter screw to replace it.
2: Drill a hole an inch away or so and plug that hole with one of the 2 extra torx screws in the bag. You’ll never know it wasn’t supposed to be there from the outside.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2018, 04:09 am »
Here’s the one that was supposed to be in the bag:

And here’s the intended orientation:

ohenry

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2018, 04:47 am »
Hey Mike, what length of M3 bolt is good for the ground?  I can pick one up before the kit arrives.  Thanks.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2018, 05:13 am »
Hey Mike, what length of M3 bolt is good for the ground?  I can pick one up before the kit arrives.  Thanks.

It’s a 6mm. 7 should be fine as well. I have loads of them here but a brain fart on my behalf. Too many long days.

brother love

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2018, 07:54 pm »
I drilled a new hole to get the ground chassis connection out from under the fuse/ load wiring.  I just put electrical tape on the existing hole under the fuse holder in order to not have a bolt shank threaded end close to the wiring.

Mike,

The recessed on/ off switch is very difficult to engage/ disengage with larger power plug connectors. I mention it only to take into consideration for new builds.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2018, 08:02 pm »
Hi Brother love,

That works for the chassis ground. I should have put the hole there to begin with. Keep in mind many amps using modules with fused inputs don’t even use a chassis fuse. This was just an option to be extra safe. I’m guessing most will end up connecting the internal power cable direct to the IEC inlet.

Yes I’m aware that switched IEC inlet is a bit of a pain with massive power cable ends. My new cases have no switch on the inlet. So won’t be an issue. I figure if folks have power cables worth more than the amp maybe it’s best to at least order my new standard @ $1049 :)

Photon46

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2018, 09:00 pm »

Mike,

The recessed on/ off switch is very difficult to engage/ disengage with larger power plug connectors. I mention it only to take into consideration for new builds.

[/quote]

For those of us that build our own power cables, maybe this style Furutech would be easier to use?

Dadbeh

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2018, 09:49 pm »
just cut the screw a few milimeters. you can do it with any multimeter or even a hand saw. 

srb

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 2018, 10:27 pm »
just cut the screw a few milimeters. you can do it with any multimeter or even a hand saw.

I can only measure voltage, current and resistance with my multimeter.  ;)

Maybe a Dremel or equivalent rotary tool with a cutoff disc?

Dadbeh

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jan 2018, 10:28 pm »
hahah yes i meant multitool lol i mean rally i was saying cutting a screw short a few millimeters is the most painless solution

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 2018, 10:37 pm »

That could work. A dremel cutoff disk. They are very hard stainless screws though.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 13 Jan 2018, 10:38 pm »

Mike,

For those of us that build our own power cables, maybe this style Furutech would be easier to use?

Yes that would work. I have the same connector Brother love has sitting here and yes it makes it a bit harder to switch, but you can still do it. Just takes 1/2 a second instead of a 1/3rd :)

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 13 Jan 2018, 10:53 pm »
Something I forgot to mention is to make sure to twist the speaker wires as tight as possible. But make sure  to hold the wire tight on the wire and not the amp speaker connector. You don’t want to yank the contacts out of the connector. Give it as many wraps as you can and still reach the amp connectors. It’s a bit tough because the wire is so thick and short. It should look like this when done.

ZimAhUm

« Reply #16 on: 14 Jan 2018, 01:23 am »
Something I forgot to mention is to make sure to twist the speaker wires as tight as possible. But make sure  to hold the wire tight on the wire and not the amp speaker connector. You don’t want to yank the contacts out of the connector. Give it as many wraps as you can and still reach the amp connectors. It’s a bit tough because the wire is so thick and short. It should look like this when done.

what is the reason for the tight twist?

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 14 Jan 2018, 03:19 am »
what is the reason for the tight twist?

Twisting wire makes it reject EMI.

SFDude

« Reply #18 on: 14 Jan 2018, 03:31 am »
I couldn’t twist them without feeling like I would break them from where you soldered them.

Rest of my build, which took about 3 hours sorting screws out and making double & triple sure I didn’t screw up.

Lid on, powered up and...
There’s a slight hum to the amp? It buzzed a little at first when powered up then the hum, then it subsided and is barely audible now. It didn’t spark or anything so MAYBE I assembled it ok?

Time to play some tunes to see now... more on the listening impressions thread!

-dave

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 14 Jan 2018, 03:47 am »
I couldn’t twist them without feeling like I would break them from where you soldered them.

Rest of my build, which took about 3 hours sorting screws out and making double & triple sure I didn’t screw up.

Lid on, powered up and...
There’s a slight hum to the amp? It buzzed a little at first when powered up then the hum, then it subsided and is barely audible now. It didn’t spark or anything so MAYBE I assembled it ok?

Time to play some tunes to see now... more on the listening impressions thread!

-dave

Sweet! Yes the transformer makes a slight hum. It’s normal. With the lid on you can’t hear it. But appears you have no twists at all. You should be able to get at least 2-3 twists in.