Sciatica Pain / holy ouch!!!!

stlrman

Sciatica Pain / holy ouch!!!!
« on: 12 Jan 2018, 10:45 pm »
I found stretches on YouTube.
Shooting nerve pain in my lower back , right hand side, not shooting down the leg so much.
Comes on every so often , pain last a few seconds.
Taking Advil, and will be stretching.
It's a super painful blast !!!!!
How long will this last ? For you at least ?
Help!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ikQUv63UfrE

paul79

• Industry Participant
Re: Sciatica Pain / holy ouch!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2018, 10:51 pm »
Sounds like a herniated disc. Some would say not to, but I say go to the Chiro! Alignment helps the healing process, and may relieve some of the pain you have now.

When I had a herniated disc, it took more than a couple months to get to a point where I could lift something, but I had it really bad....

ebag4

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2018, 10:54 pm »
I had a bout of sciatica 2 years ago.  I went to the chiropractor for a few sessions (3?) and moved my wallet from my rear pocket to my front pocket, no issues since.  Definitely no fun.

Best,
Ed

JakeJ

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2018, 11:02 pm »
I am the owner of a herniated disc too.  Injured at work, 2+ years of physical therapy but no surgery.  Still not 100% and likely never will be.  Lots of pain but has diminished some.  I have to be very careful.

stlrman

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2018, 12:39 am »
Thanks for the replies!!!
I doubt it's a  herniated disk as I lifted nothing in the past few days.
Plan for now, keep stretching, combined with Advil every 6 hours.
See how it feels in a few days .

BobRex

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2018, 01:40 am »
I'm gonna sound a warning here.....  While a Chiro might be able to realign your back to relieve sciatica due to a slightly herniated disk, be very, very careful.  I had sciatica, and went to a DO for initial treatment.  The DO took xrays, did the alignment thang, tried tenz (sp?), and sent me for PT- specifically traction.  After months of pain, and the inability to stand straight (much less climb stairs), the DO sent me for a CAT scan.  The scan showed that I had a ruptured disk.  I immediately went to a neuro surgeon who, after wondering how I made it to the office, scheduled me for surgery  the following week.  I was walking (stiffly, but with no pain), an hour after waking.

Since then, I've blown out additional disks, and now have most of my lumbar section bolted together.  Back pain isn't fun, don't treat it lightly.

JDoyle

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2018, 02:47 am »
Seriously, Hydrate as much as you can stand and sit on a tennis ball to stretch out the nerve

TomS

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2018, 02:50 am »
I'm gonna sound a warning here.....  While a Chiro might be able to realign your back to relieve sciatica due to a slightly herniated disk, be very, very careful.  I had sciatica, and went to a DO for initial treatment.  The DO took xrays, did the alignment thang, tried tenz (sp?), and sent me for PT- specifically traction.  After months of pain, and the inability to stand straight (much less climb stairs), the DO sent me for a CAT scan.  The scan showed that I had a ruptured disk.  I immediately went to a neuro surgeon who, after wondering how I made it to the office, scheduled me for surgery  the following week.  I was walking (stiffly, but with no pain), an hour after waking.

Since then, I've blown out additional disks, and now have most of my lumbar section bolted together.  Back pain isn't fun, don't treat it lightly.
I must emphatically echo this, great advice. Also, don't assume it's sciatica. I spent 2-3 years with misdiagnosis and PT not properly programmed, eventually caved, got an MRI, and had a laminectomy I possibly didn't need. Still in pain, I eventually found a terrific PT guy, who by strange chance also happens to be an audiophile. He put me on an entirely different and fairly simple sounding PT program, that after a couple months of work, had me pretty much pain free. That was 3 years ago and I'm still doing quite well. I still occasionally do some of those stretches, just in case.

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2018, 02:58 am »
Shooting nerve pain in my lower back , right hand side, not shooting down the leg so much.

Sounds like a lumbar strain, kind of focuses the mind doesn't it? Were you bent over when it first happened?
If it is only muscle strain you are very lucky because it can be fixed, but first you have to be pain free.
My first paralyzing attack was in November 1995 and had recurrences for 15 years. Trust me, the pain can get a lot worse.

If it is a lumbar strain then the muscle has to be relaxed before the pain will go away, a combination of 750 mg Hydrocodone, 500 mg Naproxen and 10 mg Cyclobenzaprine will work.

Then it's a lifetime of work outs to build up your core in order to support your back. A really good personal trainer will start you out real slow. I work out 3 times a week with a trainer and have been pain free for 8 years. The first couple of years was touch and go as my body adjusted to the new regime.

My trainer had me do 2 sets of 20 hanging leg lifts (40 total) last Wednesday and I didn't get sore, just another day at the gym, and I'm 69 years old.

Wayne

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2018, 04:45 am »
I found stretches on YouTube.
It's a super painful blast !!!!!
How long will this last ? For you at least ?
Help!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ikQUv63UfrE

It probably is not sciatica which is due to nerve root impingement.  Sciatica radiates below the knee and does not last for a few seconds. I am in the medical field and see about 2-3 patients per day with back pain.  However, I could not tell exactly what is going on without more history and an exam.  Word of advice, stay away from muscle relaxers like flexeril (which is related to a common older antidepressant and it is very sedating) and Robaxin because they don't really relax muscles and are no longer recommended for the treatment of back pain, although most physicians still prescribe them.  Relieve the pain which will relieve spasm.  I always tell patients that back pain is not an easy fix and it can take up to 6-8 weeks to resolve if it does not become a chronic or chronic recurrent issue.

See you doctor and maybe a good chiropractor.  They should compliment each other.

Regarding back pain, MRI's and surgery.  MRI's don't always tell the whole story and surgery may fix a herniated disk but for reasons not understood, sometimes the pain does not go away.  Chronic back pain is still poorly understood.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2018, 05:17 am »
From the sketches, it appears you are getting in great shape!  :lol:

Wayne

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 2018, 11:40 am »
My wife suffered with it for over a year.  Did "pain management" spinal injections (expensive, potentially very dangerous) for several months on top of other pain killers with PT and got some relief.  She'd had 3 Cesarean deliveries and 3 followup abdominal surgeries so has little core strength.  Finally had outpatient back surgery and found complete relief.  In her case it was a combination of excessive spinal curvature and calcification build up.

So find out what the problem is before beginning treatment.

BTW the pain management spinal injection "industry" is currently fraught with quick buck sleazy scammers.  Worked with one inner city place (as a healthcare facility consultant) that, before I could get fully paid, went out of business when CMS (Medicare/Medicaid) officials shut them down and threw the owner in jail for fraud (pulling people off the street to give injections to healthy "volunteers"). 
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2018, 01:49 pm by JLM »

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #12 on: 13 Jan 2018, 01:31 pm »
Diagnosed with sciatica in 2008. Pain was worse than kidney stones. Weekly visits to chiro. GP recommended Neurontin (Gabapentin). Have not been to chiro since 2010. Pain free. Take a daily maintenance dose once a day a hour before bedtime. Helps me sleep as well. Gabapentin is not for everyone. Some have bad side effects. I have none.

Doublej

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 2018, 01:43 pm »
This should take care of the pain. Only problem is it won't help with the weight  :lol:

https://www.marijuanadoctors.com/medical-marijuana-doctors/PA/pittsburgh/

rodge827

« Reply #14 on: 13 Jan 2018, 04:15 pm »
Here is a thread I started about back issues and exercises:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=95456.msg953963#msg953963

Before doing anything please get a proper diagnosis of your issue and treat accordingly. Severe low back pain sucks but there are ways to alleviate it. Start slow, be diligent, and in time you will get good results.

Chris

OzarkTom

« Reply #15 on: 13 Jan 2018, 07:59 pm »
My wife has had sciatica nerve problem for over 20 years. It comes and goes.

stlrman

« Reply #16 on: 13 Jan 2018, 09:52 pm »
I am pretty sure I misdiagnosed . Today I had zero shooting pains !!!

I was busy shoveling, laundry, and active all day . No pain.
I was sitting at a desk for three straight days without taking breaks, long stretches in the chair. Bam ! Shooting back pain  that felt like a nerve . It felt like a tooth ache pain that was sudden and lasted only a split second or two. I read that whole thread Chris . Great info !
Go Eagles !!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #17 on: 13 Jan 2018, 10:02 pm »
Glad to hear that you are feeling better.  It sounds like you had some Myofascial pain.  Be careful about sitting in one spot too long and use good posture when sitting.  If you have to bend over to pick something up, bend at the knees. Do this for the next few weeks to prevent the pain from returning.

WGH

« Reply #18 on: 14 Jan 2018, 12:55 am »
Good to hear you are once again pain free.

As us boomers age it won't be long before all our remotes have a help button.

Rocket

« Reply #19 on: 14 Jan 2018, 09:50 am »
Hello,

Perhaps, you should consult with a physiotherapist to ensure they diagnose the issue for you.  Unless it is a structural issue such as a herniated disc it should respond to exercises to strengthen the muscles around the area.

I had back pain for many years and found a physiotherapist who instead of treating me (heat, ultrasound and manipulation) had me doing a number of exercises including back extensions.  I would say I'm about 90% right most days as long as I continue to do exercises.

I hope my advice helps.

Cheers Rod