Yikes! My wife wants a fully automatic turntable ...

rotarius

Re: Yikes! My wife wants a fully automatic turntable ...
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jan 2018, 03:07 am »
You can get a Technics SL-7 or SL-QL1 for not much money.  Fully automatic and will outperform many audiophile darlings with the right cart.  Just got an SL-7 with some Shure cart and I am in shock.  It is clearly a step up from the Jelco 750D/SL1200 combo I have and that is no small feat!

Norman Tracy

« Reply #21 on: 12 Jan 2018, 04:42 am »

GOOD LUCK with this endevour... Plus it isn't good for records to only play one side. If you do it a lot then the sides will start to sound different. And it's weird to only hear one side.

Ha ha ha ha ha......so funny.  It never changes. In the '70s when LPs and 8-tracks (and open reel for the well healed) were all we had the more obsessive swore that even after just one play that LP would degrade. Best to record it on that first playing then save it away and only listen to the tape.  But,  but,   but....when I listen to LPs that are decades old..they sound quite good. And among serious LP collectors the low numbered stampers (and therefore oldest) fetch the highest prices. Which is it? Analog is the ne plus ultra source upon which to store our music, or something so incredibly fragile and ethereal we must keep them in a controlled environment museum basement. Perhaps to be taken out and listened to on special occasions?!??

Norman Tracy

« Reply #22 on: 12 Jan 2018, 04:55 am »
Why does she want to listen to your records?

And it's commonly questioned why there aren't more women into HiFi? Could it be part of the answer is it's a boys club and when they approach they find unattractive obsessive behaviors coupled with condescending attitudes?

Lester is a lucky man his partner enjoys music and values and uses their collection. And a changer will fill their home with sweet analog sounds for hours at a time. Isn't that one of our dogmas, "it's all about the music"?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #23 on: 12 Jan 2018, 05:21 am »
Why does she want to listen to your records?
Want test her husband nerves and the relationship.

charmerci

« Reply #24 on: 12 Jan 2018, 05:30 am »
And it's commonly questioned why there aren't more women into HiFi? Could it be part of the answer is it's a boys club and when they approach they find unattractive obsessive behaviors coupled with condescending attitudes?

Lester is a lucky man his partner enjoys music and values and uses their collection. And a changer will fill their home with sweet analog sounds for hours at a time. Isn't that one of our dogmas, "it's all about the music"?

I meant that - why does she want to listen to his records on his system? I made the assumption that she knew the rules - take great care of the system and the records - then go ahead.  The way he started the thread - she didn't want to do the work - she wants a record changer. So I was trying to clarify if she was just interested in the music or the sound without the inconvenience - hence my other questions.

ohenry

« Reply #25 on: 12 Jan 2018, 05:52 am »

Exactly.  It's difficult to extract the analog stick from our butts to allow anyone to touch our records.   :lol:

charmerci

« Reply #26 on: 12 Jan 2018, 06:49 am »
  It's difficult to extract the analog stick from our butts to allow anyone to touch our records.   :lol:

There is one advantage to go digital!!!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #27 on: 12 Jan 2018, 03:45 pm »
Exactly.  It's difficult to extract the analog stick from our butts to allow anyone to touch our records.   :lol:

I agree, neither my ex wife or my s/o would touch the stereo, too afraid they'd do something wrong, me being the OCD jerk that I am around my gear.  I understand the ex wife plays the system I left in the house all the time.