StreamPlayer Gen III

SteveKi

StreamPlayer Gen III
« on: 9 Jan 2018, 02:20 pm »
Can I control the StreamPlayer directly from a tablet using USB?
TIA,
Steve

jsalk

Re: StreamPlayer Gen III
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2018, 03:43 pm »
Just curious...why would you want to use USB when you can use your tablet with a wireless connection and have no wires?

- Jim

SteveKi

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2018, 04:23 pm »
Just curious...why would you want to use USB when you can use your tablet with a wireless connection and have no wires?

- Jim

Second home (eventual retirement home) with no cell service, no internet and no home network. The tablet ends up wired anyway in order to stay charged.

With the StreamPlayer I eliminate the NAS and any need for a network if I can connect in a simple way.

Can I do Tablet, USB to Ethernet to 4 port router to StreamPlayer.
Steve

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2018, 04:42 pm »
Steve -

Does the router have wi-fi?  If not, a router with wi-fi is relatively inexpensive.

That seems to be a much more elegant setup.

Never having had a request to use a tablet via USB, I have never tried it.  I could probably test it tomorrow if you'd like.

Yes, you can eliminate the NAS.

- Jim

SteveKi

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2018, 07:10 pm »
Steve -
Does the router have wi-fi?  If not, a router with wi-fi is relatively inexpensive.

Never having had a request to use a tablet via USB, I have never tried it.  I could probably test it tomorrow if you'd like.
- Jim
Jim,
No the router has no wi-fi. Another goal is not to have wi-fi in the home.

Can you test USB tomorrow. If it works in general or maybe if it would work with Roon.
Steve

divisionbell77

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2018, 10:41 pm »
Super confused on why wi-fi is bad?

srb

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2018, 12:21 am »

Probably something to do with potential health hazards of Wi-Fi and other EMF radiation.
https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/10-shocking-facts-health-dangers-wifi/

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2018, 02:09 am »
Probably something to do with potential health hazards of Wi-Fi and other EMF radiation.

Thanks Steve, now I have something else to worry about.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2018, 03:48 am »
https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/10-shocking-facts-health-dangers-wifi/
Usually people let Wifi always on 24/7, the oncologists could not be happier.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2018, 11:14 am »

SteveKi

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2018, 01:59 pm »

WiFi adds a layer of complexity that is not really necessary(convenience). I want to get my music system off my home network.

My home network has developed yet another intermittent hick up. Picture this: in my 'chair', lights dimmed, Glass of Rum Jumbie at hand with my finest playlist playing. This Zone of Musical Flow was rudely interrupted 20 minutes in. So I pick up my lap top and see that jRiver is not seeing the microRendu anymore. WiFi router/good, Cable Modem/good, NAS/good, so I get up out of my chair and power cycle the microRendu and hope that the network and jRiver will rediscover it.

Over the past 3 years I've replaced an intermittent cable modem, discovered a neighbors wifi was moved to my channel and replaced an intermittent Apple Airport.

Much simpler to connect my iPad via the supplied USB cable into the StreamPlayer (if possible) but I realize that this is not something most people would want to do.
Steve

jsalk

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jan 2018, 04:01 pm »
Steve -

The Generation III StreamPlayer is based on Roon as an interface.  You need an internet connection to set it up and to perform all upgrades.  So it will not work without one.  You might be able to work with a Generation II StreamPlayer, but I don't think this would be a very good long-term solution either.  In short, I don't think the concept is workable.

- Jim

SteveKi

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jan 2018, 04:20 pm »
Jim,
Ok thanks. Roon also needs to get on the internet every 30 days to validate the license/user.
Steve

brubacca

« Reply #13 on: 16 Jan 2018, 11:15 pm »
You have a few options. 

1- Find a Squeezebox Touch.  If your library isn't too big you can attach a thumb drive or power external hard drive to the USB port.  Then either analog out or digital to outboard DAC.

2- Build a Rapsberry Pi with a touchscreen interface, Use Volumio and attached powered Hard Drive.  Use a USB DAC. 

3- find a commercial product like a Cambridge Audio CXN which I beleive will allow local storage and can be controlled from the included remote and local screen.

4- Get a Touchscreen all in one computer and run local J River to your setup.

5- try using a portable player as a local player hardwired to your system, like a Astell & Kern

6- I'm out of ideas, but something above must be workable?

7- New idea.  Get  bluetooth DAC and tablet loaded with music.  Send Bluetooth to you stereo, or you could use a portable player and bluetooth.  I use a Astell & Kern Jr. To a bluetooth speaker in my office.