A testimony - 10 years with Klaus

aaron.luebke

A testimony - 10 years with Klaus
« on: 27 Dec 2017, 07:34 pm »
I found an email from 2009 while searching for some old records that went to a friend telling him that "last year" I bought my first Odyssey audio piece.

So in celebration of 10 years with the Odyssey Audio gang I thought I document some of my journey with them.

I was introduced to Odyssey Audio from a local friend who still has his Stratos.  He let me borrow it in the middle of winter just after a heavy snowfall.  He claimed his back was bad, mine was hurting but I carried that monster across 50 feet of slippery snow to my car and then had to consider how I was going to hold it and get a door open.  Once home I found it didn't fit in my stereo cabinet properly and had to sit it sideways.

Shortly after that I had my first conversation with Klaus and was immediately swamped with the +, ++, +++ and other options available.  10 years ago my budget was very restricted (my wife and I have triplets) and we finally negotiated on a "B" grade chassis with decent internals.  My last name is German but with an Americanized spelling and after trying to spell it a few times Klaus finally got it and said "Why didn't you say so!".   I have at least one name plate with the proper German spelling sent to me.

I bought what I thought would be cheap on the 'gon and got bit on a Stratos amp in poor internal condition but Klaus worked with me on the fix and some upgrades - my first dual mono, black board, fully capped Statos.  Shortly after did the same thing with a standard stereo version fully decked out also (but not Kismet'd).  Still have those amps.  You'd have to pry my cold dead fingers from them if you think those are going anywhere except back to Klaus for more upgrades.

I purchased a Candela from him and got bit by the comparison bug and picked up a Tempest from the 'gon.  The Tempest was perfect on the outside and a complete disaster on the inside.  The prior owner tried to "upgrade" it and pretty much destroyed it.  Off that went to Klaus for a full rebuild and it has become my primary preamp.

During the years I've owned Khartago's in various flavors and even the rarely seen Etesian passive pre (sorry Klaus, if I knew you wanted that piece I'd have gotten it to you somehow.)  Those have all gone by the wayside.

I'm a dedicated Groneberg cable guy also.  On my main rig it's Groneberg for all signal cables and speaker wire as well.  Elsewhere it's Groneberg signal cable or forget it.

This year I purchased my first Odyssey Audio speakers from the 'gon - the Lorelei.  And just recently (only because they were only 45 minutes away) the Kismet version of the Lorelei.  Prior speakers were Boston Acoustic A400's, Dahlquist DQ-10's, Magnepan MMG's and Carver Silver Amazings - none of which are slouches in any way however the Lorelei's unseated them completely.

So in my main rig it's Odyssey Audio for pre, power and speaker with Groneberg cable throughout the entire signal chain.  I've never had a raw deal from Klaus, he supports his product 100% and goes above and beyond in all aspects.

Thanks Klaus!  Here's to another 10 years of Odyssey Audio gear.   :beer:

Eduardo AAVM

Re: A testimony - 10 years with Klaus
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2017, 04:11 pm »
 :thumb: Goood !

I have kept Odyssey amps for almost 20 years (first contact made in 1999), I have had different mono versions as well as Groneberg Quattro cables, quite pleased. Klaus created somethin very unique.

erniek

« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2017, 01:49 am »
I have only had my Khartago and Candela for 3 years now but I cannot think I will ever buy another brand of amp down the road. Much the best for me. Stratos is on the horizon hopefully soon. Look forward to seeing Klaus again at Axpona this coming year, maybe he can talk me into my upgrade.

Chazz

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2018, 09:57 am »
I've had my Odyssey Stratos Mono Extreme with Klauss for 15 years now.  It's come with me over three different cities.  Just this month Klaus sent me the upgraded Kismet Boards all the way down to Australia.  It's the only part of my Audio System that hasn't changed!