In a Lonely Place - a movie haiku

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
In a Lonely Place - a movie haiku
« on: 27 Nov 2017, 09:44 pm »
Preamble
I've done a haiku of a modern film noir (Blood Simple by the Coens).  Time for a real, actual noir from the 50's.  I've seen several at this point and I feel like In a Lonely Place is one of the best.  I know some people don't like b&w films, in fact I used to be one of them.  But that was because I was watching crappy transfers on a low res source - usually a TV broadcast or an old DVD.  Once I started watching great remasters/transfers on blu ray and via a very bright and sharp 4k projector, I finally 'got' b&w movies in a way that just wasn't possible to me before.  Anyway, onto the haiku...

Haiku
This is Dixon Steele (Humphrey Bogart) - he's a washed up Hollywood screenwriter who's become a drunk and has a very nasty mean streak.  He also uses his former fame/success to pick up women to be slept with and discarded on a quite regular basis.  Here he's doing it to Mildred, a hat/coat check girl at the bar he frequents:

Unfortunately for Dix, Mildred is murdered that same night.  Luckily his neighbor Laurel Grey is able to provide him an alibi. 

Of course they start to fall in love.  She's coming out of an abusive relationship and Dix seems like a decent guy (at first).

The police don't believe him or his alibi.

It doesn't help that this is how he looks when he describes in graphic detail how the murder might have happened:

Even Laurel starts having her doubts about Dix.

Possibly because he keeps getting into random bar fights.

Or that he starts treating her like this, because she doesn't 'trust' him anymore.

This is where he seriously considers strangling her to death, because she's about to leave him.

Dix is eventually cleared of the initial murder charge, but it's faaaaarrr too late to salvage his relationship with Laurel.  So here he is, walking away.  Alone.  Always alone.

Conclusion
OK, that was some pretty bleak stuff!  I guess the lesson to take away is 'don't be a dick', even if you look like Humphrey Bogart.

G E

Re: In a Lonely Place - a movie haiku
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2017, 12:51 am »
Your next assignment is Ace in the Hole.

Then try Edge of Doom and report back.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2017, 04:38 am »
Ace in the Hole is definitely on the list!  Edge of Doom, never heard of that one...

G E

« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2017, 11:20 am »
More titles:
Out of the Past
Angel Face
Double Indemnity
DOA

And one of my favorites: Woman in the Window. Do NOT read anything about this film before you watch it.  Edward G. Robinson is in it. This is one I wish I could completely unremrmber and see it again for the first time.

Enjoy!