Liftmaster and the Internet

Doublej

Liftmaster and the Internet
« on: 21 Nov 2017, 03:19 am »
Is anyone using Liftmaster's Internet gateway with their garage door opener. If so what has your experience been with it? Got a new garage door opener and for under $50 one can connect it to the internet so it can be remotely controlled and monitored....and perhaps broken into more easily?

ctviggen

Re: Liftmaster and the Internet
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2017, 09:45 am »
I use the internet gateway on 2 of my 3 doors (each only supports 2 doors, seems an oversight in my opinion). I use the phone app to check and shut or open my doors. Could it be hacked?  Probably, but that seems to be a high level of sophistication for burglars, and would likely be done by some teen in their bedroom. 

TomS

« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2017, 11:48 am »
I have both the MyQ gateway and the new Apple Homekit compatible version and they've been great. We have 2 homes in different states far apart, so being able to manage the doors if needed is very nice. Obviously they rely on your home network, so recovery from power glitches and outages depends on that, but both have been very reliable in my case.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2017, 12:38 pm »
Hope it's better built/designed than the Liftmaster remotes we have (extremely cheesy/cheap).

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2017, 10:52 pm »
I have one.  I have never set it up.  I don't see how it benefits me.  I guess as a monitor of some kind to know it is closed?

I use the remote in one car, and the homelink in my wife's car.

I don't need another app on my iPhone.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 22 Nov 2017, 02:24 am »
I have one.  I have never set it up.  I don't see how it benefits me.  I guess as a monitor of some kind to know it is closed?

I use the remote in one car, and the homelink in my wife's car.

I don't need another app on my iPhone.

Much more effective to get a camera or cameras and a DVR.  I had a single camera on the old place piped all around to different TVs starting with one sent down to the basement via a wirelss 5.8ghz sender/receiver.  Have a DVR with 8 cameras in the current place.  One faces the garage doors.  Another is one of those recessed into the wall by the front door.

TomS

« Reply #6 on: 22 Nov 2017, 02:32 am »
MyQ has it's purpose and is rather inexpensive, but does its job well. I'm gone a lot, and it controls 5 different garage doors in 3 locations, so it's very nice to know when each one is up/down, or if one has been left open and needs to be closed. I can remotely open it for service people or if I give them a code I know exactly when it was used. I also have surveillance systems but they have a different role and have commensurate price tags.