Introducing the NEW Creative Sound Solutions

Creative Sound Solutions

• Industry Participant
Re: Introducing the NEW Creative Sound Solutions
« Reply #20 on: 11 Jan 2018, 08:55 pm »
Flat packs for our P215 have just been released. These are incredibly easy to assemble with all rabbitted edges and panels that only fit together one way. Flat packs for the SDX10, SDX12 and Criton 1TD will be here by the end of the month!

https://www.css-audio.com/product-page/css-model-p215

mresseguie

« Reply #21 on: 11 Jan 2018, 09:58 pm »
Thank you for the update. I have a couple questions for you.

What is the sensitivity of this speaker (I'm assuming it's 87-ish).

How heavy is the flat pack?

Regards,

Michael

Creative Sound Solutions

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 12 Jan 2018, 12:51 am »
Thank you for the update. I have a couple questions for you.

What is the sensitivity of this speaker (I'm assuming it's 87-ish).

How heavy is the flat pack?

Regards,

Michael

Yes, approximately.

The flat pack is about 5 kg each or around 10 kg per pair.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #23 on: 12 Jan 2018, 11:21 am »
Great pics/flat packs.  Any suggestions (links) for finishing the cabinets (from veneering, to automotive paint, to roughened texture)? 

I'm not one who wants to spend more on finish than the working parts, but if there's good advice out there I'm sure we'd all like to have  it.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2018, 12:55 pm by JLM »

Bob2

« Reply #24 on: 12 Jan 2018, 01:51 pm »
Are you doing the flat packs in house?
Do you have a show room where your products can be heard?
Thanks,
Bob

Creative Sound Solutions

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: 12 Jan 2018, 01:53 pm »
Great pics/flat packs.  Any suggestions (links) for finishing the cabinets (from veneering, to automotive paint, to roughened texture)? 

I'm not one who wants to spend more on finish than the working parts, but if there's good advice out there I'm sure we'd all like to have  it.

These cabinets would be very easy to veneer. In my earlier days when I was still in an apartment, I used to do it on my kitchen table and cut with a razor blade since I couldn't run a router in the house or really even find storage for one. But a lot of it might come down to how comfortable you feel with different finish options. I would say that in order of what is easiest, it would be:

Duratex: https://www.parts-express.com/brand/acry-tech-coatings/608
-   This can be rolled on very easily and they even make a white version that you can tint with other colors. The finish is tough and you can go from very rough with a high nap roller, to a fine texture with a foam pad. However, this is my least favorite visually.

Veneer: www.veneersupplies.com
-   I would say veneer is the easiest to get a good looking finish with. Paper backed veneer is the easiest to work with but your options for figured veneer are more limited if that’s what you are looking for. I like using Heat Lock glue from the linked website for paper-backed. You can find some decent options on eBay for the veneer itself if you want something a little more unique. However, the quality can be a bit spotty. Again, you can use an Exacto knife to trim by going slow and steady, but it’s definitely better to use a spriral up-cut flush trim bit and router. The up-cut helps prevent tearout. The driver cutouts can problematic because there is not enough depth for the bearing so a lot of people use a laminate trim flush trim bit (https://www.infinitytools.com/routing/router-bits/carbide/flush-trim-router-bits/solid-carbide-flush-trim-router-bits-for-laminates) in those spots. Don’t use it on the regular panels though. The lack of a bearing will cause it to scorch your veneer where it rides on the side. You can finish with standard brush-on or wipe-on poly for an easy finish or you can get fancier. There are a number of woodworking sites out there with finishing tips.

Paint:
-   Paint is by far the hardest finishing option, especially if you want to go for high gloss. Every little imperfection will show in the finish. The other issue you have is that the cabinet material expands and contracts with temperature and humidity changes. What tends to happen is you get ghosting of the seams at the joints. The only ways I’ve seen to prevent this are to either cover the cabinet with a thin laminate (or something like melamine) first to put all the seams at the corners, route out the joint and fill with body filler, or use mitered cabinet edges. After that, you still have to make sure your cabinet is perfectly prepped or you will end up with flaws in the finish.
-   The other issue with paint is spraying the finish. You can do it with a rattle can, but the paint in these is much thinner and it usually takes more coats and doesn’t go on as well as a gun. There are some online tutorials if you Google it demonstrating how to do this. I’ve done it a few times and it is really difficult to not sand through somewhere, even with a lot of coats of clear. Dupli-Color has the best spray tips to spray evenly, but it goes on very thin. Rustoleum’s spray tips kind of suck but it’s easier to get a thicker coat. Rustoleum is a different kind of paint though, and can take longer to cure. Whatever you do, don’t mix the two or you will end up with something that looks like crocodile skin. If you’ve got a spray gun, it can be much easier. You can usually pick up automotive paint at your local auto parts store for use in a gun.

Creative Sound Solutions

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 12 Jan 2018, 01:55 pm »
Are you doing the flat packs in house?
Do you have a show room where your products can be heard?
Thanks,
Bob

Hi Bob,

we are using a local CNC shop to produce them for us. We don't have a show room, but I can make arrangements to demo them for you. PM me and we can discuss. We are located in the Ann Arbor, MI area.

occmetal

« Reply #27 on: 18 Jan 2018, 12:58 am »
Welcome, a vibrant company.