Oppo 205 4k player vs Netflix streaming HDR

stump4545

Oppo 205 4k player vs Netflix streaming HDR
« on: 29 Jul 2017, 06:00 pm »
Are optical 4k discs still the way to go in terms of optimal picture quality?

You guys think in the future that the gap between discs for audio and video will always be there?

Netflix just announced I believe they will support Dobly Atmos on some titles in the future.

Wouldnt that sound quality then be the same on a like optical disc?  Atmos is lossless.

thanks

Phil A

Re: Oppo 205 4k player vs Netflix streaming HDR
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2017, 01:08 am »

You guys think in the future that the gap between discs for audio and video will always be there?

Netflix just announced I believe they will support Dobly Atmos on some titles in the future.

Wouldnt that sound quality then be the same on a like optical disc?  Atmos is lossless.

thanks

Only saw stories like - https://media.netflix.com/en/company-blog/dolby-atmos-coming-to-netflix   

I'm really not sure that the quality (and I'm not sure at this point if anyone knows) will be 100% of a disc.  But that's why I'm not a fan of expensive disc spinners.  I have a UDP-203.  I understand if someone wants a single component for universal disc playback (and is into physical media) and a DAC that they may want something like a UDP-205.  It is $50 more if someone buys a 203 and a Sonica DAC vs. just a 205.  However if one wants to play hi-rez discs (e.g. SACDs), the 205 may be a better option.  I do file playback via music servers (in multiple systems)  and for me a 205 is just a waste.

jpm

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2017, 01:43 am »
Unfortunately there are so many variables at work along with challenges in identifying supported protocols and formats, what starts as a reasonable and straightforward question is difficult to answer in the same way.

Speaking for my own set of priorities, picture quality has to not outright suck to be acceptable. That roughly translates to 1080p for movies and 720p for TV shows. Because I mostly use Plex and Netflix, I like the current Apple TV4 best for the Plex implementation. The remote is a disaster, but the worst parts of it can be mitigated with a bright grippy cover to stop it slipping between couch cushions and to be able to know that you're holding it the right way without turning lights on. Unfortunately, in typical Apple fashion they decided to omit support for DTS pass-through which sends me back to using a Roku 4 for movies.

A good friend of mine has recently switched to using Nvidia shield, but he's into 4k rather than sound quality. I'll probably give it a try, but Google has shown a rather hit and miss approach to Android for TV and since 4k (like 3D before it) falls firmly into "don't care" territory for me, I'm not in a hurry.

Compared to these streaming devices, disc spinners with audiophile credentials look expensive. For the cost of an Oppo 203, you can try an Apple TV4, a Roku 4 and a shield TV for yourself. If you use physical discs, the pendulum swings back towards Oppo.

Good luck, and if you try the different options please report back on what you discover.

wushuliu

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2017, 03:27 am »

Yes.

mav52

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2017, 01:00 pm »
Not to hijack this thread, but not all 4K disc or transmission is created equal.  A lot transmissions are either real straight up 4K recorded with a actual 4K camera or upsampled 2k to 4K.    I found this site and it pretty much gives the users an idea whats real or fake when it comes to 4K.

http://realorfake4k.com/

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2017, 04:36 pm »
Funny enough, my first 4k blu ray was The Watchmen, and it turns out to be another 2k intermediate upsampled to 4k.

Also, if you're looking for a cheap solution for a 4k streamer/player...I would stay away from the Xbox One S. I can play non-UHD blu rays on the Xbox, even upscale them to 3840x2160p, but actual 4k blu rays will not play at their native resolution, not for me...they get locked down at 1080p. Others on the MS forum have complained their discs won't play at all. Faulty discs, buggy software, bad combination.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2017, 05:36 pm »
Funny enough, my first 4k blu ray was The Watchmen, and it turns out to be another 2k intermediate upsampled to 4k.

Also, if you're looking for a cheap solution for a 4k streamer/player...I would stay away from the Xbox One S. I can play non-UHD blu rays on the Xbox, even upscale them to 3840x2160p, but actual 4k blu rays will not play at their native resolution, not for me...they get locked down at 1080p. Others on the MS forum have complained their discs won't play at all. Faulty discs, buggy software, bad combination.

I've looked at the real or fake 4k site many times as a guideline.  I only have 5 UHD discs at this point.  I don't buy as many movies as I used to.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2017, 05:39 pm »
I also put the free UHD mastered stuff from Amazon Prime on my watchlist.  I watched one so far that was streamed in 1080p but looked stunning.  Not sure if they are all streamed in 1080p (I have the bandwidth to handle UHD).

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jul 2017, 06:14 pm »
As far as HDR goes, I didn't realize source components like the Roku are now advertising HDR in their product. Would this make a difference on a non HDR tv? I know the latest OLED tvs are now equipped with HDR which is where you'd think it's most important. Is HDR like 4K content in that it needs to be supported from the source to the cabling to the tv to get the full benefit?

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jul 2017, 06:28 pm »
My Sony Bravia is one case where the display is a UHD TV that does not support HDR. It's a nice option but it's also a nice way to keep the prices up. Oh no, you have 4k but no HDR? That's so...2015! Planned obsolescence is unavoidable on the Home Theater treadmill. 

PeteG

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2017, 12:33 am »
Not to hijack this thread, but not all 4K disc or transmission is created equal.  A lot transmissions are either real straight up 4K recorded with a actual 4K camera or upsampled 2k to 4K.    I found this site and it pretty much gives the users an idea whats real or fake when it comes to 4K.

http://realorfake4k.com/

You're dead on, I've been enjoying 4K HDR and Dolby Vision. Even true 4K movies (3840 X 2160) can be a hit or miss on PQ.

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #11 on: 6 Aug 2017, 11:41 pm »
I only have 5 UHD discs at this point.  I don't buy as many movies as I used to.

You have more than I do so far, although I just received the UHD blu ray for The Fifth Element. It's probably the best example of a decent 4k transfer I've seen so far.

I'm actually looking forward to the Blade Runner and Close Encounters 4k releases next month.