bacobits1

Re: Phono 2 feedback
« Reply #20 on: 8 Apr 2017, 04:21 pm »
By the time it gets here it will be in V3. :o

Audiovista

« Reply #21 on: 9 Apr 2017, 09:58 am »
John, you are correct, Western, not West... could be just a PO name  :scratch:

Garden City... that's where I became naturalized citizen... fond memories...  :)

Funny ways the packages move... last time when the materials were shipped from US to Serbia, they ended up being stuck in Turkey... it's a 3 hours, two countires, overshoot by plane (they literally had to fly over Serbia, then Bulgaria, to get to Turkey)  :duh: :scratch:  Shipping is not even that expensive, considering what's going on.

bacobits1

« Reply #22 on: 10 Apr 2017, 06:55 pm »
The little Serbian arrived!!! 8)
Very nice little piece from Print packaging to the form factor.
Well done and classy subdued looking !!
It sounds well.......... very nice too.  :thumb:

It will compete very well at it's retail price of $400 for sure. I have had a lot of Phono's through here.
Appreciate the deeep switches!

Get the word out. :green:
Bravo! Well done to Boris!!

D
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2017, 08:31 pm by bacobits1 »

WireNut

« Reply #23 on: 10 Apr 2017, 08:04 pm »
It's here, It's here  :bounce:

WireNut

« Reply #24 on: 10 Apr 2017, 08:44 pm »
1 minute into listening to the Phono-2 compared to my Phono-1 ACLE unit.
Big improvement in bass output which is what my system was lacking.
A full review will come in a few day’s as the cops where just here yesterday for a noise complaint.
Damn, I hate that.

The Phono-2 was packed to perfection. The unit looks beautiful and the silk screening is perfect.
Very easy to read the settings. The phono-2 arrived with the exact settings I asked for.
Can't wait to get some time in with the Phono-2.
I’ll be back.
 :thumb:

bacobits1

« Reply #25 on: 10 Apr 2017, 08:50 pm »
A noise complaint on you? too funny. Was it after 11?
Your old you're not supposed to be playing it that loud!
See what happens when you retire.

WireNut

« Reply #26 on: 10 Apr 2017, 10:20 pm »
A noise complaint on you? too funny. Was it after 11?
Your old you're not supposed to be playing it that loud!
See what happens when you retire.

It's a hassle living close to neighbors and being an audiophile. They call the cops about 4 times a year.
The cop that came yesterday was an audiophile, to my luck. He didn't give me any shit.

bacobits1

« Reply #27 on: 14 Apr 2017, 03:34 pm »

Do not let the price fool you! We have said that before. Very competitive to units costing much much more.
Boris nailed it very nice with these upgrades he added, gold board, beefed up 16 Caps PS and the dip switches,
cosmetics to match the quality. Oh we have a Ground lug too.
I'm a fan :thumb:

A lot of listening the last 4 days.
This is a very nicely made, of course great sounding, capable let me say easy to use Phono pre.
As was the Original ACLE unit I had which I didn't compare to.
The dip switches with custom if needed sockets, and 70 db gain is more than you will ever need to run any Cartridge. I would suspect any high end cartridge to sound great with it.
No need for Stepup transformers. I got away from trannies with all the wire flipping and  re-positioning the units to keep them quiet.

On a Heed Quasar I had the stepup did not help the sound at all. So everyone's equipment will be different.

The Vista 2 used with my Clear Audio Emotion CMB carbon, Satisfy arm, Phoenix PS, a AT33PTG II (.30 output), into a Rogue Cronus Magnum.
Settings changed, to now 100  47ohms resistance,  65 db gain, slow  fast rolloff filter.

I would not hesitate to recommend it. I think it is quite nice.

Add a couple Albums in particular: Just super having it all.
Sade >Promise
Grover Washington >Wiinelight

D

I have no neighbors to worry about! :duh:

« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2017, 04:54 pm by bacobits1 »

WireNut

« Reply #28 on: 14 Apr 2017, 05:05 pm »
I agree. I love mine. Boris nailed it again. It is very well made and a good looking unit. More slam then my ACLE unit.  :drums:

Audiovista

« Reply #29 on: 15 Apr 2017, 12:35 am »
Thank you for the feedback Den and Steve!

Den - that is a nice set of equipment that you have! I don't think I have ever set up Phono-1 to more than 65dB. 70dB (gain of more than 3100 times) is more than enough... even though that is not the limit: by using internal sockets, the gain can go even higher.

Thanks again!

MaxCast

« Reply #30 on: 15 Apr 2017, 12:43 am »
Thanks for the feedback, guys.  Been seriously thinking about getting a Phono 2 (got a acle).

Just so I have it straight in my mind, how does one use the dip switches?

bacobits1

« Reply #31 on: 15 Apr 2017, 12:59 am »
Dip switches are used for the gain setting and resistance , and low filter settings. Take a look at the site descriptions it tells all.

http://www.vista-audio.com/products/phono-2/index.htm

I find it's a balance of gain with whatever pre/ amp that is in front of the Phono any phono preamp.
Things get real agressive quickly after 60 db gain. The balance of selfnoise or amp pre noise. There is none here. Extremely quiet.
I go a bit to 65 because it is fine and the volume knob is close to the digital setting when played. I don't need a blast mistake going to digital. I should cut it back to 60 db.

Now on the Redgum (scares me  :lol:) it remembers what volume was previously set at on a particular input when selected. It will return to the last setting.
 Slick!

WireNut

« Reply #32 on: 15 Apr 2017, 02:28 am »
I love the fact that Boris is keeping a data base of optimal cartridge settings.
It keeps the guess work out of my next cartridge upgrade from my current 2M Blue.

sunnydaze

« Reply #33 on: 15 Apr 2017, 01:17 pm »
Hey Den....didn't realize you had a Redgum!    :o    :thumb:

When you get it?   I've been enjoying an older RGi35 on my Reynaud Twins for many years now.   Great synergy and musicality.  I'm a hardcore tube guy, but don't feel like I'm missing anything with the Redgum.

WireNut

« Reply #34 on: 27 Apr 2017, 09:22 pm »
Very happy with my Phono-2.  :banana piano:
« Last Edit: 7 May 2017, 09:50 am by WireNut »

WireNut

« Reply #35 on: 6 May 2017, 12:00 am »
Hi Boris,

I'd like to load my ortofon 2m Blue MM cart at 34.5k.
I believe this would need to be done internally.

What do I need to do?

Thanks,
Steve

« Last Edit: 7 May 2017, 09:51 am by WireNut »

WireNut

« Reply #36 on: 16 May 2017, 06:06 am »
Vista Audio Phono-2 review.

I’m really enjoying my new Vista Audio Phono-2 MM/MC phono stage.
From the first track of my favorite LP I’ve been glued to my system.
Comparing the Phono-2 to my Phono-1 ACLE unit the bass, both mid/lower octaves are more deep, fast, and powerful. A definite upgrade from the Phono-1.

Midrange is also much better then the Phono-1. Goose bumps are popping up all over me.  Treble is detailed but never harsh. Very very good. I’m happy.

The Phono-2 has many external loading options that are available via DIP switches on the bottom of the unit for both MC/MM cartridges.

At the time of my purchase the Phono-2 did not come with a manual. A pdf file on Vista’s site for downloading would be great.
Without a manual, I find setting the internal loading options are not an option for me.

Sound quality of the Vista Phono-2 is very very good. As a matter of fact, it’s better then my previous Counterpoint SA-3 preamps phono stage, Pass Labs DIY pearl-2
and my integrated preamps phono stage. At the low asking price of the phono-2 it’s a fantastic buy.

JackD

« Reply #37 on: 16 May 2017, 10:04 pm »
Wirenut

To set the resistance to something other than the supplied settings you would set all the dip switches in the off position and the put the chosen resistors in the R11 and 12 slots just like on the Phono 1 Mk II. I found instructions on website.

Use this calculator to know what to buy to get the value  you want.  To get to 34.5 kohm you would need 130 kohm resistors.

http://www.electronics2000.co.uk/calc/series-parallel-resistor-calculator.php

WireNut

« Reply #38 on: 16 May 2017, 10:54 pm »
Wirenut

To set the resistance to something other than the supplied settings you would set all the dip switches in the off position and the put the chosen resistors in the R11 and 12 slots just like on the Phono 1 Mk II. I found instructions on website.

Use this calculator to know what to buy to get the value  you want.  To get to 34.5 kohm you would need 130 kohm resistors.

http://www.electronics2000.co.uk/calc/series-parallel-resistor-calculator.php

Thank you JackD.
I would have never quested for a 34.5 kohm load I would use 130kohm resistors :scratch:.

JackD

« Reply #39 on: 16 May 2017, 11:23 pm »
That's using the assumption that all off leaves it at 47 k as with the  Phono I.  If all off is in fact zero the just get the resistor equal to the load you want. I haven't looked at all the switch combos so don't know if you can get close that way.