What luggage to buy?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
What luggage to buy?
« on: 25 Dec 2016, 02:20 am »
It's time for a new carry on (22 x 14") four wheel roller.  What do you guys use that travel a lot?  Tumi, B&R or???  Soft is what I'd get not hard. 

TomS

Re: What luggage to buy?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2016, 02:26 am »
I have a North Face (oops, 2 wheeler) carry on, love it, tough as nails.

SFDude

« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2016, 02:36 am »
I'd never splurge on a Tumi when you can get a Samsonite spinner for half the price and have it last as long, if not longer. Have had a hardcase Samsonite for 5 yrs so far and have not had any issues with zippers, interior wearing out and the exterior, although it takes abuse on bi-weekly trips (I travel for work a lot), doesn't seem to be fazed by anything.

Also curious why folks get soft vs hardcase luggage? Especially when the hardcase can expand as well.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 25 Dec 2016, 12:01 pm »
Buy some of my wife's luggage, please.   :duh: :roll: :green:

abuhannibal

« Reply #4 on: 25 Dec 2016, 01:13 pm »
My wife and I are _very_ heavy travelers, and we have had very good luck in recent years with the Delsey thin hardsides - I know this is not what you asked for but they are sort of a hybrid really between hard and soft, much lighter tho than a standard hardside. Also much more durable than they look, FWIW.

arthurs

« Reply #5 on: 25 Dec 2016, 02:22 pm »
Briggs & Riley domestic carry-on spinner. I put over 150K miles annually on mine and couldn't be happier with them. Broke a wheel once and warranty service is fast and not only fixed the wheel but tightened and checked everything else. 

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 25 Dec 2016, 09:05 pm »
I fly 35-50K miles per year so less than many. 

I use a Samsonite 4 wheel soft side bag.  Love it.  My headphone pouch fits ideally in the front zipper pocket.

3 years now and love it.

I went soft side to ensure I can fit my stuff and still make the measurement.  Never used a hard side bag but would consider one.

DS-21

« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2017, 08:12 pm »
We have a B&R and a Travelpro soft rollaboards, and a Rimowa hard one. My favorite is probably the Travelpro.

However, as a frequent traveler I've grown to loathe rollaboard carryons. A back/should "MLC" bag is so much more convenient. The rollaboards occasionally don't fit in overhead bins, even in 1st/business/Delta One cabins. Now my carryons consist of my briefcase and a Tom Bihn Aeronaut 45.

https://www.tombihn.com/products/aeronaut-45?variant=17379023943

It fits more stuff (no bulky wheels and frame), fits in every overhead bin I've tried, and with good packing skills you can easily get two decent suits wrinkle-free enough to be fine after a steam refresh in your hotel shower. I've carried the Aeronaut wearing nice suits and jackets (Kiton cashmere, Brioni Escorial, H. Lesser, etc.) and it hasn't adversely affected the drape or cut of the jacket.

Philistine

« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2017, 09:25 pm »
I was in the market for a new Rollaboard about 12 years, ago, I was traveling every week.  At the time air crews were using Travelpro, so that's what I bought and it's still going strong...even though I reversed over it once  :duh: :duh: :duh:
Most of the other stuff you're paying for the brand.

rpf

« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2017, 02:29 am »
FWIW, hard cases are supposed to be more resistant to bed bug infestation than soft ones. Lighter colors also supposedly attract them less than dark ones.

Philistine

« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2017, 01:58 pm »
We have a B&R and a Travelpro soft rollaboards, and a Rimowa hard one. My favorite is probably the Travelpro.

However, as a frequent traveler I've grown to loathe rollaboard carryons. A back/should "MLC" bag is so much more convenient. The rollaboards occasionally don't fit in overhead bins, even in 1st/business/Delta One cabins. Now my carryons consist of my briefcase and a Tom Bihn Aeronaut 45.

https://www.tombihn.com/products/aeronaut-45?variant=17379023943

It fits more stuff (no bulky wheels and frame), fits in every overhead bin I've tried, and with good packing skills you can easily get two decent suits wrinkle-free enough to be fine after a steam refresh in your hotel shower. I've carried the Aeronaut wearing nice suits and jackets (Kiton cashmere, Brioni Escorial, H. Lesser, etc.) and it hasn't adversely affected the drape or cut of the jacket.

I'm off to China in a couple of weeks and going to pickup one of those Tom Bihn Aeronauts - any recommendations on the accessories to order with it?

DS-21

« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2017, 10:50 pm »
I'm off to China in a couple of weeks and going to pickup one of those Tom Bihn Aeronauts - any recommendations on the accessories to order with it?

It's easy to go overboard spending on Tom Bihn accessories...

The only Aeronaut accessory from them we have from them is the Absolute strap, which I highly recommend. I usually fill with a shirt folder from Eagle Creek.
http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-original-garment-folder-large/d/1324C2565?CategoryId=477
and some packing cubes from eBags, like these.
https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/packing-cubes-6pc-value-set/288518?productid=10346312

The shirt folder does a good job keeping shirts unwrinkled in the right spots. The packing cubes are great for hotels, because you can just whip 'em out and throw 'em in drawers or wardrobes.

roscoe65

« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2017, 11:59 pm »
I'm off to China in a couple of weeks and going to pickup one of those Tom Bihn Aeronauts - any on the accessories to order with it?

The Absolute Strap is a must.  I would also recommend the packing cubes.  I have a Western Flyer and use the Bihm Packing Cubes as well as the Backpack Packing Cube.  It is lightweight Dyneema and doubles as a daypack.  I've found the packing cubes to be essential in keeping things from getting lost in the bag.

OzarkTom

« Reply #13 on: 31 May 2017, 12:34 am »