Phono preamp optimization

Audiovista

Phono preamp optimization
« on: 6 Jan 2016, 05:01 pm »
First of all, I want to thank all of my customers, many of whom are participating in this forum, for taking time to write and give me feedback on my products' performance in their systems. That is highly appreciated  :notworthy:   It is also very useful. Especially feedback on optimum settings for Phono-1. Some of you really took time to experiment with different settings and cartridges, and provided valuable insight. Thank you!

I took all that information and summarized it into a table that lists optimum settings for cartridges that Phono-1 has been used with (or at least those that I tested or received feedback about). I will keep updating the list as I get more information. I hope that you find it useful, whether or not you own Vista Audio's phono preamp.

Here is the link: http://www.vista-audio.com/products/phono-1mkII/examples.htm

Cheers,
Boris

richidoo

Re: Phono preamp optimization
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2016, 06:42 pm »
You don't have any Clearaudio carts on your chart, so I'll offer up mine. My Clearaudio Maestro Wood v1 MM cartridge sounds excellent on the original Phono1 with stock 47k, 150pF loading. (I assume original Phono1 had the same capacitance as the mk2's 150pF?) Plenty of treble clarity and detail. Thanks for making a great product.

Audiovista

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2016, 05:42 pm »
THANK YOU!

I updated the list.

jupiterboy

« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2016, 06:27 pm »
Nice resource. I am interested in hearing one of these, and have come close to buying a few times, but I keep reviving my old phono pre. I am settling in with the Denon 110 and notice a 50 db gain and 10K loading spec. I'm running at 38K and 44 db. Maybe I'll spring at some point so I can compare the two.

datman

« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2016, 07:44 pm »
I received my phono-1 mkII today. After installing it in my system all I can say is WOW! Clean, clear and MUSICAL.

There is a big difference in my Decca Maroon with the correct 33k loading. All of the high end funny business is gone. So I can say that while the Decca works with 47k, it likes 33k MUCH better. The openness in the high end is extraordinary.

I think you might want to add the Decca to your cartridge loading list.

Audiovista

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2016, 01:27 pm »
Many thanks for the feedback Louis!  :thumb:

I updated the table to reflect optimized settings for your London Decca Maroon cartridge.

http://www.vista-audio.com/products/phono-1mkII/examples.htm